IGNORED

Arsenal

cubeadvance

I looked at McNulty's follow up tweets and to be fair he's not implying there's anything wrong with it, as it's a completely standard negotiating tactic and most transfers are paid in installments. Plenty of people using it as another excuse to get up in arms though. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it'll get sorted one way or another if we really want him.

If we're activating a buyout clause then it makes the offer not meet the clause. If so, it's a bit silly and encourages them to say no because it's fairly obvious that we'd meet the clause or offer a bit more to pay in instalments. It's not like we're miles away from what they'll accept, because they have to.

If there's not a buyout clause at that much then it's completely standard and Deportivo are doing an entirely standard negotiation to get a better deal. They need the money, everyone in La Liga needs the money except the usual two, so they'll definitely play hardball until deadline day if we encourage them to.

I do like that everyone is livid we're not signing someone very, very few had heard of yesterday though. "Who?" to "WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE DIDN'T OFFER ALL THE MONEY NOW IT IS CRUCIAL WE SIGN HIM NOW" in a few hours.

1 hour ago, Jonathan_Kerr said:

GROUP A: PSG (FRA) Arsenal (ENG) Basel (SUI) Ludogorets (BUL)

Should get through to the round of 16 from that group. Book your flights to Barcelona now for a cheaper rate...

(I actually think we can beat PSG too).

I think we need to wait until the end of the transfer window for PSG. It feels a bit like they've given up being big spenders, but they might still realise that their team looks a bit shit in the next couple of days. 

Basel are perennial banana skins too.

But yeah, realistically we should be able to top the group and find out Bayern came second in theirs.

Is it utterly ridiculous to think they were waiting to see what the Champion's League draw looked like?

I genuinely didn't know there was a release clause btw. I feel ITK with my post about that now.

A lot of people unhappy on Twitter about our potential signings. Don't really understand it. We are showing some intent to strengthen the squad, they may not be world beaters on paper but could turn out to be great signings. We are also spending a lot of money this summer which is what people wanted. Clearly lucas Perez wasn't our first choice but it shows that we actually had a few targets which we have been accused of not having in the past.

It's almost like some people enjoy being unhappy and will take any angle possible to have a moan.

"Spend some fackin' money!"

* Spends £85m*

"These players are shit. Venga aaaat!"

Some people are just malcontent weirdos, and others probably aren't, but have realised there are good #numbers to be had in pandering to the malcontent weirdos. Take 'Memz Dogi' for example: he had hardly any Twitter followers a couple of years back, now he has over 20k purely through spending *a lot* of time on there and positioning himself as a figurehead for the hardcore Wenger-out lot. He's unquestionably a total dipshit and knows absolutely nothing about football, but aligning with that negativity has worked for him (or it has if you put any value in Twitter follower counts anyway).

Arsenal Fan TV has been bad for this too of course. No one gives a shit about it when we win, but when we get a bad result Robbie must get pound signs in his eyes as people flock in their droves to watch the increasingly ridiculous meltdowns. I haven't bothered with it for ages but it got to a stage where I'm pretty sure the regulars were cutting rehearsed promos. Andy Tate too with the Man Utd "Moyseh" rants. :lol:

Perez is definitely a second choice and a gamble, but he's bloody cheap by last season standards, let alone this season. Mustafi was clearly the first choice and deservedly so. Xhaka too.

by not signing names that people have (by and large) heard of you can spin this however you want to suit your own narrative.

we've either secured a proven world cup winning CB, a young aggressive midfielder who is the new Scweinsteiger and the Spanish Vardy from under the noses of Barca, or have signed a defender who failed at Everton, a walking yellow card and a 27y old journeyman spaniard who was playing in Greece a couple of years ago.

23 minutes ago, christaylor said:

Why on earth are you guys playing in an away kit that's closer to Watford's colours than your home kit?

Coz, that's what we do these days to please the marketing boys.

A personal nadir was wearing blue at Sheffield Wednesday last season in the league cup.