IGNORED

Arsenal

cubeadvance

So we didn't go for Sturridge, but we did get a much needed DM, CB and CF and got a few older players off the wage bill. Mustafi and Xhaka seem like the business and could be huge for us. With Perez I'm not sure, could be another Reyes/Arshavin or he could come good. Still not convinced by the Wilshere deal given our injury record, but I guess it's a win-win long term and Bournemouth is a good fit.

I don't see how anybody could be that disappointed with this Summers dealings. Other than not signing a huge name striker or doing our business earlier, Wenger did what most fans were calling out for and the squad looks the best it has in years. We should get top 4 with this squad, title seems a little out of reach given that every top coach in the world now seems to be clogging up the Premier league though.

1 hour ago, hauk said:

So we didn't go for Sturridge, but we did get a much needed DM, CB and CF and got a few older players off the wage bill. Mustafi and Xhaka seem like the business and could be huge for us. With Perez I'm not sure, could be another Reyes/Arshavin or he could come good. Still not convinced by the Wilshere deal given our injury record, but I guess it's a win-win long term and Bournemouth is a good fit.

I don't see how anybody could be that disappointed with this Summers dealings. Other than not signing a huge name striker or doing our business earlier, Wenger did what most fans were calling out for and the squad looks the best it has in years. We should get top 4 with this squad, title seems a little out of reach given that every top coach in the world now seems to be clogging up the Premier league though.

Any other season it's a great window. This year, I don't think it's enough to aim for anything other than 4th and we really shouldn't be aiming for 4th.

17 hours ago, g wings said:

But wouldn't we have said the same this time last year? 

The bigger issue to me is the coaching and strategy at this stage.

I'm sure we did say that last year and, shockingly, we got a points total that should have seen us finish fourth or fifth in a normal season. If we'd signed the players we've bought in this window (or equivalents, at least) along with Cech last season, we'd have won the league and if the other teams had played as they should have done we'd still have had a fair crack at a title challenge.

Also, if the coaching and strategy is a problem you need to spend more on players, not less.

Don't disagree, I just think last season proves that there is no single solution. I'm sure we could have found a way to lose the title race last season even with a stronger squad.

I wouldn't rule us out of the title race this season but wouldn't be surprised to see us in an almighty fight for fourth place either. 

That is a good article. I still remember the time my friend played arsenal in a preseason friendly. He was marking limpar and was trying to find out what drugs each of the arsenal players did. Limpars said nothing apart from the fact that he enjoyed smoking the occasional reefer. In the players bar afterwards Tony Adams and David seaman were impossibly tall; person and wright impossibly small. But they all hit the bar with quite a vengeance. Can't remember who was manager at the time.

Thought Di Canio and Winterburn were about to about to give each other some grief then; they butted chests, Nige went to ground... And then it became apparent It was a riff on the infamous Paul Alcock incident (which I think Winterburn attempted to be peacekeeper during), so there were hugs and smiles all round after Di Canio helped him back up.

Lovely stuff :)

Only been able to follow this on liveblog. The words 'chance' and 'goes missing' showed up a lot.

Then a penalty.

Well, Southampton have been our bogey team for a while so I'll take the win, no matter the method. 

Nice to be getting penalties again too. Orbinho said we've had more so far this season than all of last combined.

we were crap but I'm always glad when a team loses who comes to us and sets up with no intention of playing football or even trying for a win - they set up with pretty much 2 banks of 5 and just sat deep.

pen was at the other end of ground to me so no real idea if harsh or not.

liked what I saw of Mustafi, some very robust tackles, a couple of almost David Luiz like runs out from the back and he tried to be positive in distribution from the back. He'll of course have far bigger tests than a Southampton team shockingly lacking in ambition until they went behind.

Thought we were very bad again today. Midfield was a bit of a muddle, Özil had an off day, and there was no interplay between the front three. Coquelin-Cazorla doesn't seem to work that well without someone like Iwobi or Ramsey in one of the wide positions. Off the ball as well we are so sloppy at times.

Huge improvement needed for PSG, where hopefully Xhaka will come back in.

what is really noticeable is how little movement we have, against a packed defence it was so static, nobody making little runs in or trying to create space. 

plus after 3 weeks of high crossing into Sanchez we continued with the plan to a man who won 2 aerial contests all of last season in Spain.

watched MotD and can see why a pen was given, Fonte is inviting a decision by grabbing a hand of shirt like that - don't care how many people do it the directive to refs at the moment is very clear.

special mention also to a pet peeve of mine, the opposition goalkeeper taking 20-30s over every goal kick - the refs are so weak on this. then eventually the crowd managed to get Forster booked for it but you know he's never getting a second yellow for it, so he just carried on doing it for the rest of the match. 

58 minutes ago, Gotters said:

what is really noticeable is how little movement we have, against a packed defence it was so static, nobody making little runs in or trying to create space. 

plus after 3 weeks of high crossing into Sanchez we continued with the plan to a man who won 2 aerial contests all of last season in Spain.

watched MotD and can see why a pen was given, Fonte is inviting a decision by grabbing a hand of shirt like that - don't care how many people do it the directive to refs at the moment is very clear.

special mention also to a pet peeve of mine, the opposition goalkeeper taking 20-30s over every goal kick - the refs are so weak on this. then eventually the crowd managed to get Forster booked for it but you know he's never getting a second yellow for it, so he just carried on doing it for the rest of the match. 

What?! Didn't you notice the Arsenal player who went down with a head injury in the middle of the six yard box, right in front of the goalkeeper? If the ref didn't stop it, which he didn't, that player is interfering with play when the ball was passed forward and he was lying down in an offside position.  The Southampton players were all trying to alert the ref and basically half stopped playing. It was an incredibly harsh penalty.