Arsenal

cubeadvance

8 minutes ago, Gotters said:

but the ref didn't stop play, and Kos lying on the ground had nothing to do with Fonte grabbing a fistful of Giroud's shirt.

He was directly in front of the keeper in the six yard box and was offside when the ball went forward. Giroud was also fouling Fonte. I'm no Southampton fan and I know this is your thread but that's quite an interesting interpretation of the rules right there. Head injuries should always mean play is stopped immediately.

I've no idea why it wasn't stopped, and frankly I'd rather it was in terms of precedent setting, but he very clearly wasn't affecting play. He was practically dead and wasn't particularly close to the action. If he'd jumped up and put it in it would have been disallowed.

The penalty itself was a bit harsh, but that's the entire point of that ruling.

4 hours ago, The Fox said:

The game should have been stopped but it's barmy to say Koscielny is interfering with play. He's not even in shot when you watch the replay. Not in line with the flight of the ball, not obstructing the keeper. He was a total irrelevance.

2:14 on this video

He's about three yards away from Giroud and Fonte and he's bang in the middle of the goal inside the 6 yard box, near the ball and right in front of the keeper :lol:

2016-09-12.png

The defenders and the goalkeeper are waving their arms about, he's in the way of the goalkeeper. Perhaps he's CGI. Even the most biased fan would struggle to justify that he wasn't interfering with play. He has a head injury and didn't move until the penalty was given; then the ref waves the physio on. He's on the ground for over 30 seconds. That's my last say on the matter as you'll stubbornly, obtusely deny that a 6ft, 13 stone Frenchman lying in the centre of the six yard box isn't an obstacle or a distraction to the man wearing gloves who's waving at the ref.

But the keeper wasn't involved in the play either? The ball doesn't go anywhere near him. If the incident had been a goal where Giroud leathered it past the keeper just after he'd been trying to get the ref's attention, obviously you'd have a point, but I don't really see what the keeper has to do with the penalty.

Oh well I think we all agree it was poor officiating one way or another so we'll leave it at that I guess.

Tonight then? I'll be honest, and this scares me more than anything I've typed in this thread, I am feeling pretty confident. We've got a better squad, a team that at least understands the basics of what it should be doing and we're definitely going to be taking it seriously as it's the best chance we've had to top a group in years.

Ie. We'll lose 3-1.

That XI is fucking horrible. I can understand if Cech has been dropped because he's been poor for ages, it's just a shame Dustbin Dave is the alternative.

Ox, Coquelin, Alexis up front with no Ramsey/Theo in the team to run beyond him. It's just missing Gabriel for a full house of shit Wenger team selections.

13 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

WTF happened to the ref there?

He clearly saw none of it, wanted to book one and realised it would be a sending off so made it even. Utter, utter ineptitude.

Quite a good game though. It massively played to Ospina's strengths so he came out of it looking good, a bit of confidence will do him good, and the way the team didn't panic was great. If you ignote the other things that were PAINFULLY OBVIOUS FROM THE TEAM SHEET then it was a good all round performance.

I feel a bit bad complaining about Coquelin because he really did put the team on track again when he first appeared, but he really isn't good enough to be anywhere near the squad in a match like this. 

14 hours ago, Rev said:

I feel a bit bad complaining about Coquelin because he really did put the team on track again when he first appeared, but he really isn't good enough to be anywhere near the squad in a match like this. 

Looking forward to Coq being the opinion-divider every week this season.

He's a proven failure as a box-to-box midfielder who only got a chance in the team when he drastically cut back what he was trying to do and focused on the few things he was good at.

For some reason though this season Wenger is playing him in this weird role where he plays higher up the pitch than Cazorla and does literally nothing apart from drag people away from Santi (who can't really exploit the space anyway because his legs have mostly gone), and try to force high turnovers with a one-man press (which rarely works because Wenger's pressing instruction is comically poor). That's it. That's all he's currently doing. He still doesn't show for the ball, he's still actively avoided when we're building, and now he's not even taking up positions in front of the back four because he's been told to play 15 yards further forward. I suppose you can say he's covering for Cazorla's lack of mobility, as Santi is bypassed easily, but in that case why is he playing so high up?

I never liked him as a defensive midfielder but I could at least see some logic to it. But this? What the fuck even is this? I don't blame Coquelin though, he's just doing as instructed at the end of the day and his limitations as a footballer are hardly a secret.