IGNORED

Arsenal

cubeadvance

I think he's one of those players that needs to have a whole team catering for his deficiencies around him if left to do his own thing, or a manager to properly lock him down and tell him what is required, Wenger never got hold of him (and was never likely to) to get him to stop trying back heels and flicks all the time and play it simpler.

I find him massively frustrating to watch as there is clearly a player in there, but that short spell he had a couple of years back seemed to go to his head a bit and make him think he should be attempting all manner of ludicrous stuff all the time. 

Be interesting to see as a free agent where he ends up, he's not going to automatically head down the table or go sideways, wouldn't be surprised to see any of the big teams other than City go for him.

thats 2 home games in a row we deserved to lose we've managed to win with a clean sheet, off the back of a concentrated burst of goals.

to be brutally honest we were dire, Ramsey is utterly ineffective as a 10, Ozil out wide may as well not be on the pitch, and Auba seems very sluggish and not really the striker that struck fear into the hearts of defenders.

as a bright spot Holding looks way better than Sokratis

our build up is so slow and tepid, no movement, no pace, its like we try to bore teams to death with ineffectual possession from side to side. we're not probing really for openings, just keeping the ball.

I'm not really sure what to make of it as our plan A at present seems a bit odd, but is getting the job done against the sort of teams we should be beating. 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

thats 2 home games in a row we deserved to lose we've managed to win with a clean sheet, off the back of a concentrated burst of goals.

to be brutally honest we were dire, Ramsey is utterly ineffective as a 10, Ozil out wide may as well not be on the pitch, and Auba seems very sluggish and not really the striker that struck fear into the hearts of defenders.

as a bright spot Holding looks way better than Sokratis

our build up is so slow and tepid, no movement, no pace, its like we try to bore teams to death with ineffectual possession from side to side. we're not probing really for openings, just keeping the ball.

I'm not really sure what to make of it as our plan A at present seems a bit odd, but is getting the job done against the sort of teams we should be beating. 

Old habits die hard

I think people want to jump to conclusions and say things like '2 starts for Torreira and 2 clean sheets' but its not that simple, I do like the look of him but we're constantly conceding shots on target (more than we're creating) and thus high xG, statistically we've had a flukey couple of wins and sooner or later that gets caught out.

I think part of the problem (with buildup and general quality of play) is that we’ve been playing an admittedly talented front four, but we’re playing three of them out of position; Auba is on the left, which does make some sense, and I think we might get away with, except that then Ozil is too far out wide, and pretty ineffectual, and Ramsey is too far forward (literally, a lot of the time - he was often further forward than Laca and Auba yesterday, and/or making speculative runs that he’d have been lucky to have any of his teammates spot, let alone find him on).

I was genuinely surprised, given Ramsey’s contract news, that Emery hadn’t opted to drop him and put in the more in-form Iwobi, or even Wellbeck, and move Ozil back into his preferred position. Certainly those two fit the system better, while also giving us a bit more pace, and it was telling that we played better as soon as they came on, and added some real impetus.

(The second goal was partially down to that, and partially down to the fact that Watford, who’d played well, keeping us in check while still able to push forward, and really deserved better, finally had to push out with some urgency, and we just hit them on the break almost immediately.)

Leno looked decent when he came on, much more comfortable on the ball than Cech, and he made some good saves after a nervy start. He looked in part like the goalkeeping personification of the (recent) Arsenal - talented, good on the ball, but a bit indecisive - and that worries me a bit in a goalkeeper, as does his apparent reliance on punching (rather than collecting) the ball.

There were a few other positives (the Katsu burger at Bird, Torreira, one of the kids’ penalties at halftime getting put right in the top corner, the performance/impact of the subs, seeing the hateful racist scumbag near me in the crowd being forcibly ejected) in what wasn’t a great performance, but was a good result against a decent, in-form side, but the main one was definitely the performance of Holding, who was rightly man of the match; he was great in the air, and made some timely interceptions and one great, potentially goal-saving block. A very promising showing.

I've been firmly in the we're winning spawny camp, not today, that 3rd goal was a thing of beauty

Only downside is its the sort of goal that encourages Ramsey to attempt that shit every time he gets the ball for the next few months where've he is on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, The Fox said:

lol like 60% of the touches in the back to front buildup were Ramsey’s but yes we definitely don’t want him attempting “that shit” in future.

like you won't be in here moaning when he gets the ball outside our box against Spurs and attempts a back heel pass to relieve pressure.

its not an exaggeration, I've seen him do it multiple times. 

When Fulham scored before half time, I thought here we go, but this is different, there is a spirit here that I’ve not seen for a long time. 

We looked genuinely good in the second half, really imposing and composed when playing from the back. 

It was a really decent performance yesterday.  I was annoyed to concede such a stupid goal but the second half display was almost faultless.

Aside from a shaky defence it's all positive right now.  The managerial change is what we desperately needed so no moaning from me.

• 2 weeks later...