rllmuk
cubeadvance

Arsenal

Just the Lavazza derby going about as well as expected, unfortunately. We feel so isolated, talent-wise, in that we’re good enough to stay ahead of the chasing pack without really feeling like a match for the “proper” Champions League contenders.

i like Emery enough to continue giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, and can see us improving further under him, but I’m not sure what he’ll be able without further (and better) reinforcements, either in January or the summer. That’s assuming I’m right to give him the benefit of the doubt in the first place, of course.

I’m also beginning to wonder how many other Premier League defences I wouldn’t swap wholesale for ours. I know we have a lengthy injury list, but that doesn’t seem like an acceptable reason for them veering between terrifying and mortifying, with only very fleeting glimpses of competence interspersed.

My Spud neighbour just sent me this. 

I don’t think it’s that bad yet, we definitely need to give the manager more time, maybe another week ;)

75279F77-1992-45EC-AAA3-8F62D15F6CEB.jpeg

Can Chambers be recalled? 

The stream I watched, Dixon (I think) joked about Lacazette being brought on as CB, he probably would have done a better job.

Also is it the lack of reinforcements/injury to Welbeck that means Lacazette and Aubemeyang rarely start together?

I was talking about chambers with my brother the other day and he reckons there’s no recall clause. No idea how he has come to believe this.

1 hour ago, Shoes said:

Has anyone seen Chambers play at the back this year? He's been fucking awful.

Sounds “like a new signing” etc

The defence for Emery you could give is Pep, Potch and Klopp struggled in their first season in the league. But I wasn’t really sure about him. He’s built Sevilla team that won Europa but they weren’t exciting or anything special to be honest. Even at Valencia the fans got fed up eventually even though he was getting them champions league places. 

The Sokratis signing surely has to be Mislintats signing. The Lichtsteiner signing was a strange one. The warning signs are there when Juve a side who loves free signings let’s a player go on a free. He was a good player on his day. But coming to the premier league at his age now was only going to go one way. 

I didnt think Emery was a exciting appointment, but just a yes man. But he needs to be given money to spend. Spending £50m or whatever when sides like Everton and West Ham are spending that on one player isn’t enough. 

Arsenal went for the safe option in the summer. They could have gone for the risky in Arteta or the big option in Allegri. But nothing is going to change as long as the board start showing ambition. When even someone like Arteta has issues with the budget being offered to him then there are issues.

8 hours ago, The Fox said:

Bad times when you’re hoping for Cal Chambers to save the day.

8 hours ago, Shoes said:

Has anyone seen Chambers play at the back this year? He's been fucking awful.

Would fit right in

There’s no comfort to be had from Guardiola and Klopp struggling in their first seasons. One had infinite money to play with, and the other sold three attackers for an insane sum. Obviously Liverpool reinvested that money extremely well, but we don’t have that option available to us. They’re also both clearly superior coaches to Emery anyway.

The only player who was actually worth a decent fee, we declined to sell in the summer and now he sits on the bench most of the time waiting to leave on a free.

What's going on with Mavroponis? He looked promising at the end of last season, admitedly he's only young, but has he even played this season? 

I'm conflicted on Ramsey, he shows flashes of greatness yet will often be incredibly wasteful, tactically lacks discipline and has a poor injury record. I don't think that makes him a player you give one of the biggest contracts you've ever handed out and his departure is not something you pay any money to avoid. 

Sure those big teams are interested in him but only because he's available on a free (I know its not truly free and his wages will be huge) - doubt many of them would be waving a huge fee at us if he had 3-4y left on a contract. 

Huge mistakes have been made of course, not least in letting him get to this point whilst paying Ozil £300k a week.

It's the "little money to spend" bit that concerns me. The defence is an absolute shambles and needs investment, problem is, who's out there that's a realistic target? 

11 hours ago, Gotters said:
Sure those big teams are interested in him but only because he's available on a free (I know its not truly free and his wages will be huge) - doubt many of them would be waving a huge fee at us if he had 3-4y left on a contract. 

The biggest clubs in Europe don’t sign mediocre players just because they’re out of contract. He’s a bloody good footballer.

3 hours ago, The Fox said:

The biggest clubs in Europe don’t sign mediocre players just because they’re out of contract. He’s a bloody good footballer.

I suspect, apart from Milan, they see him as a squad player who is now available for squad player wages with no huge fee.

Everybody keeps talking about how Arsenal have ballsed this up but its possible his agents have too, we'll never know what was on the table from Arsenal to sign but wonder if the eventual contract he ends up with is bigger or not. BBC gossip today says Juve offered him £138k a week, a huge wage but if Arsenal were trying to appease him before pulling the deal suspect our offer was higher (but of course contracts have all sorts of add ons and bonuses/fees added in).

If £138,000 a week was what it would take to keep him we should have paid it. 

There's loads of overpaid dead wood in the squad but I don't think Ramsey part of that group. There are plenty of others I would get rid of first.

We'll have to see about whether he's seen as a squad player by who ever he goes to. Personally I want him to stay and play regularly.

I think they're taking a stand with him to prove a point - the club had gone totally soft under Wenger and it will take years to rectify those fundamental issues, not half a season. Time and time again players held a knife to the clubs throat and ran down their deals, at a scale no other top club sees. 

Holding the club to ransom and won't sign a contract, you're out. Won't track back and play how the manager wants, you're on the bench or at home.

I agree that in the current era that is a wage he can easily get - but I think there is a bigger play going on that is unique to us at the moment and if it takes losing him to start to heal those root fundamental issues then I'm ok with it.

16 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

If £138,000 a week was what it would take to keep him we should have paid it. 

There's loads of overpaid dead wood in the squad but I don't think Ramsey part of that group. There are plenty of others I would get rid of first.

We'll have to see about whether he's seem as a squad player by who ever he goes to. Personally I want him to stay and play regularly.

Its not just £138k he is making. He’s going to be getting  a massive signing on fee so he can lower his wage demands to the club that want him on a free. Where as it will be obviously higher for Arsenal. 

I dont blame him. It’s his last chance to get a big contract and would be good for another British player to play abroad. It will be a loss for Arsenal, but I don’t think it will be a loss so bad that this time next year you’d be sitting here saying you would have won the game if you had Ramsey. You’ve lost better players in the last decade or so. 

Your board need to start showing ambition. Restricting the manager to loan signings in January is just stupid. The squad and club needs a lift. Look at what Van Dijk did to Liverpool last January. You still got a lot to play for this season. You won’t be getting top four or even winning the Europa if you have Mustafi in your defence. 

35 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I think they're taking a stand with him to prove a point - the club had gone totally soft under Wenger and it will take years to rectify those fundamental issues, not half a season. Time and time again players held a knife to the clubs throat and ran down their deals, at a scale no other top club sees. 

Holding the club to ransom and won't sign a contract, you're out. Won't track back and play how the manager wants, you're on the bench or at home.

I agree that in the current era that is a wage he can easily get - but I think there is a bigger play going on that is unique to us at the moment and if it takes losing him to start to heal those root fundamental issues then I'm ok with it.

Generally I agree with what you are saying. It might be that Ramsey is suffering from a shake up that will see us in better stead. 

If he doesn't fit with what the manager wants to do then yes we should let him go. From what I've seen he does have the attributes to be successful for us under Emery.

Also I don't think he's held the club to ramsom. He's looked at what we're paying other players and asked for parity. Mhikitaryan is on £200k per week...

33 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

Your board need to start showing ambition. Restricting the manager to loan signings in January is just stupid. The squad and club needs a lift. Look at what Van Dijk did to Liverpool last January. You still got a lot to play for this season. You won’t be getting top four or even winning the Europa if you have Mustafi in your defence. 

This is all well and fine but if we are not going to spend in Jan and funds are going to be tight letting Ramsey go for a free is even more mental. It will cost us more in the short term to replace him than to up his wages and offer him a contract. If he signs a new contract he becomes a financial asset again.

Also I love Ramsey. I really want Welsh Jesus to stay.

On a slightly different note I was thinking of all the players that seem to be out of favour/not suitable under Emery/too old. It's quite a lengthy list...

Ramsey

Ozil

Mhikitaryan

Mustafi

Lichsteiner

Elneny

Monreal

Kos

Welbeck

Jenkinson

Chambers

Maybe Cech & Sokratis too.

Almost seems like hiring a seemingly inflexible coach who can’t integrate a vast portion of the squad into his solitary play style might have been a stupid idea.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't convincing at all. We give the ball away far too much. Oh and we still can't defend.

Loved the chants of sign him up after Ramsey scored.

that really didn't feel like a 4-1 game to watch - both defences looked like they were from teams that will be relegation threatened in all honesty, and but for some wasteful finishing in the first half we'd have been behind.

chorus of boos met the now traditional hooking of lacazette

it is still early days, and took both Pep and Klopp time to settle in the prem with huge budgets too, but the constant tinkering with half time subs and formation changes is starting now to look like not knowing what team to ever play, or how to get them lined up properly.