Arsenal

cubeadvance

I'm hoping we see more of Chambers and Holding, Mustafi blew all his chances last season, Sokratis seems to have spent the pre-season rooming with Mustafi and has picked up his habits, Luiz has given away two ridiculous penalties this season so Chambers and Holding couldn't do much worse (and could benefit from a timely return from Bellerin, nothing against AMN but he's been found wanting in his defensive duties a few times too many this season already). Then it's just see how Tierney works out once he's fit again.

I dunno how we won that, the first 45mins is up there with the worst performances. Xhaka is just woeful and I struggle to see what he brings considering we seem to have a fair few promising midfielders, I'd put him as last in the pecking order. Luiz and sokratis both looked like a calamity. I was questioning before the game why Chambers doesn't start at CB. Considering the form of the other candidates he should be nailed on to start. He seems very confident in himself and now plays like a man. Keeps it simple but has alot more authority. Also Emery needs the sack. There are so many negatives to his reign and very few positives. He's not cut out for the job and the sooner he goes the better. 

Really weird match that, first half was just awful and you'd have been hard pressed to spot the supposed top 4 contender from the newly promoted team, in fact if you were pushed you'd have got it wrong such was the ease Villa undid us defensively and held us off them.

He gets some stick for his theatrics, diving and hair but Guendouzi is going to be some player, while everybody else hid or was just ineffective he provided the drive and energy to keep us pushing forward - he's added a lot to his game from what we saw last season, he now drives with the ball and has some excellent passing (not just short safe 10 yarders sideways).

I think Villa's biggest mistake was sitting back, our defense, if you can call it that, is so porous that every attack looked like a goal - there is even a debate now as to whether Leno is any sort of upgrade for Cech. His distribution (remember that old line) is irrelevant as he taps it sideways to Sideshow to ping it and he induces similar jitters on crosses as Cech, and very little sticks to him. 

At 1-2 there were goals for the taking but they took a bit of a lets defend this mentality which I understand if you have nicked a couple against the run of play, but against our back-line and 10 men was overly conservative - they should have kept pushing forward.

The irony of our keeper being booked for time wasting too beggars belief - every week we watch opposing keepers waste time right from the off, rarely with any word from the ref. Heaton was doing it all the time yesterday, yet Leno gets booked for it.

I do believe the whole captain thing is overrated in football, even more so for a team when you keep refreshing twitter 1h before KO to see who is actually starting.

It speaks volumes that we don't actually have a natural capt who is either likely to start every week or fulfils that traditional role.

Either the captaincy is massively obvious or it doesn’t matter. 

It honestly feels like Emery is doing exactly what we all did with Xhaka, ie., during his first few weeks it was completely agreed “he’s great, he just needs to settle down and...” which has now been dragging on for 3 and a bit years. While doing exactly the same things on international duty. But for some reason Emery has decided the “he just needs to settle down” phase is definitely due to start RIGHT NOW. 

And it probably won’t.

I can see why he made Xhaka captain, there are not a lot of senior players who have been at the club a while who are first team regulars.

Having said that he's not playing well this season, especially using him as the DM/midfield pivot. He's also a huge liability in terms of the number of fouls he commits during games. I vaguely remember him playing a lot better last season when Torreira was along side him.

Wonder what tactical/selection madness Emery has lined up for tonight ?

Utd look there for the taking but we’re such a soft touch wouldn’t surprise me if Greenwood got a hat trick as our team all look at each other wondering what the tactics are today.

wonder if he’ll stick with a fully fit Chambers at RB or throw in Bellerin, I’d prefer the longer term view and not risking those returning from injury (Tierney, Holding too) in such a big fixture.

I'm not quite sure it's a decider for Emery, but if it goes badly wrong tonight it's definitely the start of the end. And if it goes really well, he'll get some more time to actually try and work out what he's actually trying to do with the squad.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

Bellerin played 90 minutes for the under 23s on Saturday so he won't play tonight. Tierney didn't play at all for them so I'd see him starting tonight and I'd be surprised if Luiz starts. 

Which of course means it'll be Luiz and Mustafi at centre back

wouldn't surprise me if against a team with no strikers Emery decides to reintroduce the 3 at the back, with 2 holders sitting.

we just can't stop teams taking shots against us, nobody in European top 5 leagues has let anywhere near as many shots on goal

This is the sort of game where Ozil could have an impact. United may well be shite going forward but Ozil could have unlocked them at the back with some passes. We don’t have anyone else capable of that.

No doubt we’ll end defending deep against a team that can’t attack for toffee this season and Lingard will pop up with a brace due to some terrible passing in front of our back four, and Xhaka will lose Lingard as he races away and scores an easy couple of goals. 

If we concede as many shots against this poor of an attacking side Emery needs to go.

Ozil is not any help away from home with his current level of can’t be arsed.

I never like this team which has a huge non creative gap where a midfield should be.

Despite having a back 4 and 3 holders utd will still manage 20+ shots from any straight hoof up the middle which will undo us like some voodoo witchcraft we’ve never seen before