rllmuk

Nice to get a win but it felt more like a statistical quirk against the only team flakier and softer than us in the league. 

We bossed possession again, gave up more shots than we had, and scored with our only 3 efforts on target - as we now know from the grudging acceptance of xG in some quarters it highlights well how you can win an odd match against the grain but over time it'll catch up with you.

Nice to see Freddie make the call that was needed in only playing one of Lacazette or Aubamyang - they're both really good strikers but not complimentary, especially if you want to play a passenger like Ozil. Pepe showed some spirit and spark so there is hope there, and Marintelli looks very promising. 

Xhaka was Xhaka, and Maitland-Niles continued to look sad. I know he's not a defender, people always say this. That means his defending can be excused, but his inability to pass, cross or do much else is puzzling. 

• Upvote 1

Good result given our recent form. Having that front 3 instead of Lacazette up front and Aubameyang/Ozil out wide made a big difference to the attack. This formation, but with a back 4 of Tierney/Chambers/Holding/Bellerin gives me hope for the future.

Don't panic. It's all ok.

We are getting Guardiola mk2

All we need is for the fans to give him time, the Americans to give him money, the proper players to start playing properly, clear out some of the shit & get in some new proper players.

That should do it.

• Upvote 1

Arteta is a huge gamble, which I am guessing the board realize as they didn't go for him last time around. I'd prefer him over Mourinho or Ancelotti, but in truth I'd prefer someone with at least some management experience. Fingers crossed it all goes well :wacko:

It does seem mental that the complete rookie stand-in coach we currently have has more relevant experience than the bloke we’re bringing in. It also seems fanciful to embark on a project that will require years of patience from a fan group that is in a constant state of either incandescent rage or complete apathy. 

The days of waiting for a coach to come good for years on end are obviously over. Unless he gets a tune out of these nob heads pretty instantly you fear for the bloke. I hope beyond hope he can manage it as the club absolutely sucks at the moment.

It’s still a big rich club with some alright players that was in a European final a matter of months ago. It’s really only this season that’s gone properly down the commode, we’ve been merely average until then. I dunno, the owners are turds, but then big coaches seem willing to work for anyone if the money is good. Ancelloti would’ve taken it for instance had he been asked I’m sure. 

I guess they’ve gone for Arteta as they’re probably hoping someone with some cachet with the fans will provide a bit of a shield for them for the time being. It worked a treat with Wenger for years and most fans haven’t got the brains they were born with, so there’s no reason to think it won’t work again. 

Shame it came from Martin Samuel but I like his line about City

Nothing in the short term will convince me its anything but a stupid appointment, not even done on the cheap with £2m of compensation. I think the Kroenke's like somebody who is happy to have the job and not an established old pro who will create noise or ructions for them, they did the same with the LA Rams and the youngest head coach in NFL history (Sean McVay). It turned out OK at the Rams but was still a roll of the dice and has no relevance to how well Arteta will do or not.

9 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

It’s still a big rich club with some alright players that was in a European final a matter of months ago. It’s really only this season that’s gone properly down the commode, we’ve been merely average until then. I dunno, the owners are turds, but then big coaches seem willing to work for anyone if the money is good. Ancelloti would’ve taken it for instance had he been asked I’m sure. 

I doubt that. No manager with any kind of reputation to protect would manage Arsenal at the moment for the simple reason that the board are not going to give them the financial backing needed to sort the first team out. Last transfer window you had £40m to spend, and apparently when you take into account the structure of the Pepe deal the net spend was about that. You can't arrest the kind of slide Arsenal are on my pinching the pennys like that. 

There's also the AFTV factor. That channel relies on rage and negativity for views and therefore income. No-one would watch if they were saying "Well, we played okay. We need to give the young players time." They contribute massively to the (probably false) impression that Arsenal fans are the most toxic in the league. Who would take a job where there's a rogue media outlet who's very existence relies on whipping up dissatisfaction and calling for your head? 

You've got problems. You have to hope Arteta is the solution because you aren't going to get anyone better. 

I think Ancelotti is probably finished as a top level manager over the course of a league season tbh.

Crossing everything that Arteta at least just makes us a bit fun again, because aside from that flurry of transfer activity in the summer, everything about the club has been utterly miserable for months.

I think Aubameyang is probably nailed on to leave in the summer, as I doubt his brother slagging off Ljungberg & Arteta on social media is a complete accident. On the pitch it's obviously not good news, but this wouldn't be the first sign that he might be a bit of a dick. For one thing he's tight with those AFTV dickheads, ensuring that he'll be exempt from their ire no matter what he does.

8 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I doubt that. No manager with any kind of reputation to protect would manage Arsenal at the moment for the simple reason that the board are not going to give them the financial backing needed to sort the first team out. Last transfer window you had £40m to spend, and apparently when you take into account the structure of the Pepe deal the net spend was about that. You can't arrest the kind of slide Arsenal are on my pinching the pennys like that. 

There's also the AFTV factor. That channel relies on rage and negativity for views and therefore income. No-one would watch if they were saying "Well, we played okay. We need to give the young players time." They contribute massively to the (probably false) impression that Arsenal fans are the most toxic in the league. Who would take a job where there's a rogue media outlet who's very existence relies on whipping up dissatisfaction and calling for your head? 

You've got problems. You have to hope Arteta is the solution because you aren't going to get anyone better. 

AFTV’s influence is tiny. People are pissed off because we’ve no direction and the football is terrible. There’s a narrative that those drongos run the club, but the impact they have on the atmosphere at the ground is non-existent. I doubt any manager who’s opinion is worth listening to even knows who these chancers are, let alone would turn down a job because of them. 

I hear Gotter's doubts but Mikel's press conference just now has instilled me with belief. He might not have the CV but I feel he has the ideas. If the players can't respond positively to that, I think the problem is more with them than his inexperience.

On 20/12/2019 at 16:54, Art Vandelay said:

AFTV’s influence is tiny. People are pissed off because we’ve no direction and the football is terrible. There’s a narrative that those drongos run the club, but the impact they have on the atmosphere at the ground is non-existent. I doubt any manager who’s opinion is worth listening to even knows who these chancers are, let alone would turn down a job because of them. 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/funny-arsenal-fans-chant-get-out-of-our-club-at-arsenal-fan-tv-20191221?source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1RR7Rt7ThH5UIgifJconEoKujVNBML3oMAeRgtceAA8_JsgIslocTej8c

• Upvote 3