Just now, Art Vandelay said:

Spoiler alert: Man Utd 1 – 0 Arsenal

Fernandez 79 (pen)

it will be a soft one that Mike Dean can't wait to give, 'minimal contact but the lad was smart and manufactured the contact to ensure the ref saw it'

29 minutes ago, Gotters said:

it will be a soft one that Mike Dean can't wait to give, 'minimal contact but the lad was smart and manufactured the contact to ensure the ref saw it'

:lol:

Feel like literally everything went our way for a change, which was pleasing. Didn't really cough up any chances and Gabriel and Rob Balding were immense. Trick now is to knock out five or six on the bounce, but we'll need to score more to do it. Good days work altogether.

I thought we looked good. Still lacking creativity upfront but controlled the game well. You can really see what Arteta is bringing to the team, plus the players he has bought in (Gabriel, Partey) are an improvement on what we had.

Late to this, but the United game was a really impressive performance with some outstanding displays from Partey, Tierney, Garbiel and best of all Elneny. That's a solid spine right there and if Arteta can get Aubameyang in top form again, then that adds another to the spine.  

Willock looks great when he gets a chance and his record last year was really impressive, all things considered. He's pretty raw still, but works hard and actually has end product. Would love to see him get some minutes alongside Elneny and Partey as that would be a properly all action midfield. They'd swarm most midfields like ants on a Mars bar. 

I know I rag on Willian a bit, but he looks like a busted flush already rather than the gradual decline I think we were expecting. Having him in the team achieves nothing.

We are truly awful this season. We look more competitive against the big teams, but I think playing seven defensive players in most games makes us harder to beat and that’s about it. Villa were great but could’ve beaten us on application alone. Just loads of lazy performances with no-one taking a risk. The team is crying out for four at the back and some of the fringe players to be given a go as I can’t watch some of these turds anymore. Singing my favourite song again, but I thought Willian was meant to be Brazilian? Doesn’t look like he could trap a bag of sand and bottled every 50/50 he was involved in – what does he offer exactly? Aubameyang would have a better chance up top on his own than being accompanied with the rubbish he is at the moment, I mean he did it on his own the last two seasons.

I absolutely guarantee we’ll spend the next two weeks forensically pouring over our defence in training and do the exact same thing in our next game. 

There is the theory that defences are something you need to coach over time and work hard on, whereas attacks can be a little more organic and instinctive. I guess the theory is that's what we're trying to do, but it only works if you're cutting edge is cutting.

I suspect Lacazette is just getting picked now for running round and pressing from the front, it works sometimes but his inability to consistently hit the target is costing us so much more. If we're going to stick with 7 defenders and 3 attackers we need to find the 3 that are going to work, on current form Lacazette and Willian shouldn't be starting.

But having cut £300k a week Ozil from the squad dropping £200k a week Willian (on a 3y deal don't forget folks) and £150k+ Lacazette starts to look like an awful lot of waste going on.

I understand setting up like that away at a big rival, but not at home to Villa.

If Arteta is going to focus so much effort on the wings, shouldn't he be putting his proven goal scorer in the centre? I know Aubameyang has an Henry like quality out on the left, but a front three with Sako, Aubameyang and Pepe has more threat than sticking with Lacazette in the middle slowing things down?

Then there also needs to be a ball playing midfielder who can no e about the park and can pick out passes without slowing everything down all the time, as it stands, the current midfield seems to drag the team down leaving the attackers isolated and the defence over run.