Allegri's style of football is soporific but it gets results I guess. He's the calibre of appointment that should have been made. though. Emery actually made some sense at the time, but he had a weak personality and couldn't stick to his guns when under pressure. From what I can see Arteta has the complete opposite failing. He rigidly stands by a system and players who everyone can see are letting him down. You can admire the character of doing that, but it can still get you the sack.  

I do wonder if the reason some players are unstoppable is down to their wages, especially considering Ozil has been sidelined. If youve got that entire list of players on the previous page not playing regularly because they couldn't give a shit you're still going to get an absolute hiding from the press and fans.

Would changing the manager make much of a difference? It’s a group of footballers that cost £15-£25 million mostly that were all slightly overpriced as Arsenal are a big club. The reality is that that gets you mid-table these days. Arsenal aren’t massively underperforming to their squad, they just need the three proper £50 million players that they’ve needed for about five years in the gaps they keep trying to fill with £15 million quid players.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Leno and Tierney cost around that and they're amongst our best players and actually seem to care. The only other player in that bracket was Elneny and he was just a cheap squad fodder punt who we tried to get rid of and is now somehow starting all the time. If you ignore the graduates it's a pretty extravagantly assembled team. Pepe, Lacazette and Aubameyang would rival in cost with any front three in world football for instance. We're also pumping money out on ridiculous contracts that are providing no value at all. I think there's a genuine debate to be had if we've just overpaid when we have spent and have got a load of dross on the books, or if three consecutive managers are just shit and these players are being given the wrong instructions. 

When we've tried to buy potential recently it's worked out well, but every short term old hand we've splashed out on to get us through a season has been a financial and footballing disaster. 

Buying in that bracket is fine if you buy well, Arsenal haven’t. Tierney and Leno are fine but the other 10 players not so much. If you are going to be consistently challenging then you have those calibre of players to complement the big signings. Looking to replace big signings with a team entirely bought at that price you either have to be very shrewd or you are inevitably going to decline.

so whilst I believe that the squad are currently underperforming their theoretical level at present, we're probably still a europa league qualifying level team if playing well, there is no doubt we are exactly where we should be in the table based on performances this season.

there is no 'too good to go down' view from me on this, we're a dire watch with no creativity or goals and can't defend - they are the teams that go down or have a very long season trying to survive.

whilst I fully hope that something clicks and they all wake up a bit I'm seeing no signs of that happening, if anything we're regressing and they clearly are not playing 'to save the gaffer'

the consolation at present is it looks a season with a possible record setting awful team in Sheffield Utd, and a few other terrible teams around.

38-40pts looks a long way off though with our current form and we're currently going at exactly a point a game !

Hard to know what to want with regard to Arteta. We are obviously playing shite right now, just really slow in build up and no creativity in midfield. With Partey back we might look a little better, but we are still missing a creative midfielder or two. It's really hard to see how he can turn it around at this stage TBH.

A better run club would probably of got rid of Arteta by now, but then a better run club won't be in this mess in the first place. All this talk of Rangnick or Allegri or Pochettino, are these really going to happen and does the club even have the right infrastructure to make them a success? I'd throw Benitez name into the ring, he did a great job at Newcastle and would be exactly the kind of appointment we need. He can keep us up and having dealt with Ashley he knows a thing or two about badly run clubs.

Wasn't Benitez very outspoken about the situation at Liverpool when they were in financial danger? Would the Kroenkes take the risk on someone who's likely to be like that rather than someone who, like Arteta, tries to keep everything internal?

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

just need city to score a few more now, so it looks like they were rampant, rather than arsenal being mediocre...

With this keeper? That's not going to be difficult

Martinez and Smith-Rowe have showed more urgency and creativity in this one game than the so-called first XI have all season and that's with the scoreline at 1-4

I don't know why we didn't play all the kids tonight. At least if we'd got rinsed they'd have got some minutes under their belts instead of persisting with the same old duffers who are either out of the door or being cajoled that way. The worrying thing is we don't ever play well or really badly, simply at a consistent level that means we don't score goals or win games. 

Ornstein is now just a Kroenke shill - he has to justify his huge Athletic salary with a constant stream of Arsenal insider exclusives and I feel whilst he's good for the transfer stuff most of what he writes is now coming from the top of the club.

I don’t think he’ll be replaced until just after the nick of time. Either once top four is mathematically impossible, we’re out of the Europa or probably more likely we’re in serious trouble at the basement end of the table. I was going through the squad last night and over half of it is arguably surplus to requirements. That comes down to our complete failure to move these faces on, but Arteta needs to shoulder some blame for still playing them. In what way are Mustafi and Kolasinac and Elneny going to surprise us now? This sort of dross was a millstone around Wenger and Emery’s neck and it sunk them in the end, why Arteta refuses to learn from either their mistakes or his own is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I don’t think he’ll be replaced until just after the nick of time. Either once top four is mathematically impossible, we’re out of the Europa or probably more likely we’re in serious trouble at the basement end of the table. I was going through the squad last night and over half of it is arguably surplus to requirements. That comes down to our complete failure to move these faces on, but Arteta needs to shoulder some blame for still playing them. In what way are Mustafi and Kolasinac and Elneny going to surprise us now? This sort of dross was a millstone around Wenger and Emery’s neck and it sunk them in the end, why Arteta refuses to learn from either their mistakes or his own is beyond me. 

I think you're wrong about Elneny.

He's a water carrier, doesn't score, tackle or create and passes backwards a lot. He was so vital we tried to flog him for next to nothing and he ended up in Turkey. Seems like a nice enough bloke and I don't think he's our biggest problem but he's not Premier League quality. 

You worry about Holding and Mari as a partnership. Even if they camp out on the edge of the six yard box I’d worry about pace in behind. The plan has to be all hands to the pump and hope for something to drop off a corner or something. Glad Smith-Rowe is getting a run out though, he is the real deal.

10 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Gabriel is covid isolating - this is going to be horrendous, that team looks poor

I think Gabriel and Tierney are the only regular starters that deserve their place, Saka is breaking into that group though and I'd be more excited to see Martinelli, Aubameyang and Saka as the front three than Aubameyang, Lacazette, Willian