Arsenal

cubeadvance

I think this season will be a continuation of the last in that teams like Brentford will be far less cautious against us as any belief in us being a European level football power is truly gone.

For a couple of years we've ridden the tail end of that Wenger era respect whilst it wasn't always due, and now the days of lower half teams setting out for a draw against us home & away really are over - and quite rightly so, we're soft and easy to get at.

We won't go down or anything silly like that but we're an easy going mid table touch with a group of occasionally talented players who if they can be arsed will do some nice stuff and pose for Instagram pics after the game as they're so happy with themselves, but more often than not will go thru the motions waiting for the intense shouty Spaniard to get the boot so they can get the next one in to ignore. 

I think you’d need a director of football and manager duo as Edu would inevitably be out with Arteta. Conte is a fantasy as there’s no way he’d come in to work with these idiots and he would require some serious investment behind him, so I think everyone should just forget about that. I do feel bad for Arteta as he’s a decent bloke obviously and would have been a fool to turn down the chance, but he’s just making no progress. The idea of working with young players is a sound one, but we’re not looking any closer to introducing a style of play nearly two years in now. I honestly haven’t a clue who I’d get it as no massive name would touch us at the moment, so we might have to go through a few coaches until one clicks.

On 15/08/2021 at 04:09, Gotters said:

We won't go down or anything silly like that but we're an easy going mid table touch with a group of occasionally talented players who if they can be arsed will do some nice stuff and pose for Instagram pics after the game as they're so happy with themselves, but more often than not will go thru the motions waiting for the intense shouty Spaniard to get the boot so they can get the next one in to ignore. 

We've basically turned into Spurs 😐

I liked what I saw of Odegaard last season - a good young signing with the real possibility of a lot of upside.

I suspect we're digging deep and going into the red to find the money to buy him with no departures in the depressed market as of yet, but then again we're using that depressed market to get him out of Madrid for a lower fee than they wanted last year as they look to scrape together a galactico fund for Mbappe this season or next.

In this case I think it's business worth doing at a high but not ludicrous fee (doesn't raise the eyebrows like Pepe did, or even White).

Odegaard will be a good signing and I think it's looking like it's going to happen.

I think we'll get Ramsdale too and that'll be it with the ins.

Surely a couple will leave even though it should be at least 5.

Odegaard was good last season for us and could potentially develop into an excellent player. I've kind of wanted Maddison instead though to play as an 8 next to Partey with ESR as the 10.

I know having the luxury of sometimes resting players can't be a bad thing, as well as the inevitable injuries taken into account, so having both Odegaard and ESR in the same squad/team isn't bad of course even though that probably means ESR will be moved to the left or right like last season. Surely he's stronger through the middle?

I wonder if Odegaard can play deeper in the 8 role and ESR as the 10 with Saka on one side and either Pepe, Martinelli or Auba on the other side?

On the down side, if it's true that we turned down £12mill from Palace for Eddie then that's turned out pretty shit as he's now injured so how on earth do you sell a shit and injured player.

If Roma gave us a few extra million Xhaka would have gone so how he ends up with a new 4 year contract and the captains armband is beyond me.

I know the market is dead but I can't understand how we can't get rid of Bellerin who apparently wants to leave and is prepared to take a pay cut, can't give Kolasinac away, can't get rid of Torreira who's playing with Mickey Mouse somewhere, can't get even a few quid for AMN who Wolves wanted for £20mill a year ago apparently. 

As for Willian, I know his wages are a huge problem with moving him on but surely something just has to be arranged to get him out the door.

The problem with Bellerin being willing to take a pay cut is he's an injury prone player who appears in decline and his current huge wages even if cut are still too much for most clubs who don't value him worth a fee and big contract. He's on well north of £100k a week 

I think a lot of player's agents are holding out for the best deals. If nothing comes up then they'll sort something towards the end of the window I reckon. Players like Nelson and Nketiah can leave for free next summer and will be fairly desirable you would imagine, but for Cedric, Willian and Kolasinac for instance, not making the match day 20 at this stage is effectively an enforced retirement. They're on ridiculous wages, but for 99% of footballers just sitting on your arse for the last years of your short career isn't what they want. Bellerin and Xhaka are still good players so it's not a problem if they stay, it's just they're completely wedded to a period of complete mediocrity in most people's minds. 

I think I'm happier with this deal than paying almost double that for Maddison. It's a good trade up for the Willock fee plus the same again on top. 

Time will tell of course, I really rate Maddison but think he may be more trouble off the pitch, though we could do with some of his attitude on it.

My only concern with Odegaard is he's another one of the nice polite young men Wenger favoured and we do need a Roy Kent type to toughen us up a bit.

6 hours ago, Lucky said:

If Roma gave us a few extra million Xhaka would have gone so how he ends up with a new 4 year contract and the captains armband is beyond me.

Pretty sure Xhaka is just a one year extension...

Also if the figure going around is to be believed, then it looks like Ødegaard could cost less then Buendia, which might explain why we where holding out on that deal and let him go to Villa.

1 hour ago, humdrum said:

Pretty sure Xhaka is just a one year extension...

I feel a bit better now.

Maybe that was done to give us some chance of getting a few quid for him if/when he's sold next summer.

Xhaka wasnt a whole new deal but seemed we had options to extend his contract on the clubs side and they’ve added a year beyond those extensions already there, and given him a pay rise.