Arsenal

cubeadvance

I liked what I saw of Ødegaard last year, and as much as I like Maddison this signing makes more sense. Seems like Ramsdale is on too. Don't know much about him other than what I saw of him the few times we played against Sheffield United, but it seems like he's going to be the long term 1st choice keeper which is smart planning too. I'm still not sold on Arteta TBH, but at least the signings this window have been in the right age profile and all look like they can improve the team long term. 

13 hours ago, Gotters said:

Still too much

I mean that just says you are replacing an average keeper with a slightly worse one. How can anybody think that's a good deal? 

As for Ødegaard, he's an answer to a question nobody asked, surely? The problem with your midfield is that it is too easily bullied out of games because there's no dominant presence there who can win tackles but also have the ability to Marshall the play. Ødegaard is, by all acoounts, more of a technical player who isn't going to change that flaw. 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I mean that just says you are replacing an average keeper with a slightly worse one. How can anybody think that's a good deal? 

As for Ødegaard, he's an answer to a question nobody asked, surely? The problem with your midfield is that it is too easily bullied out of games because there's no dominant presence there who can win tackles but also have the ability to Marshall the play. Ødegaard is, by all acoounts, more of a technical player who isn't going to change that flaw. 

My guess is Ramsdale's numbers would be effected by the fact that Sheffield United got relegated last year. Plus he's only 23, so there's hopefully room for improvement.

We definitely needed another attacking midfielder, whether it was Ødegaard or someone else. As much as I love Smith-Rowe, if he gets injured we basically have no creative threat from midfield (we don't want a repeat of the first half of last season!). Thomas Partey was signed to be the midfield muscle last year.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I think that is just the perception from casual observers who perhaps don't follow Arsenal that closely, as it's something that gets recycled a lot by lazy pundits. The reality is that Arsenal have struggled creatively for a long time now and do need someone to take the burden off Smith-Rowe, who isn't exactly prolific himself. I think Odegaard at that price is certainly better value than Madders Boohooman.

Ramsdale is shite though, no clue what we're doing there. Utterly baffling.

1 hour ago, hauk said:

My guess is Ramsdale's numbers would be effected by the fact that Sheffield United got relegated last year. Plus he's only 23, so there's hopefully room for improvement.

goalie analysis goes beyond saves and goals conceded now

xG is a measure of shot location quality, it measures how often on average a player shooting from a certain spot scores

xGOT is more interesting as it's the next step on and measures the quality of the shot taken and other factors, like defending, so its how often that shot (in the top corner) goes in from there

If you look at a keepers stats you can see over a long period if they are adding value by saving things others don't, or are actually letting in more than they should.

the stats above from Orbinho are based on xG so could be slightly out as low xG shots do still go in but over a longer period give a good idea of things - I'd be interested to see his record measure on conceded from xGOT.

all that said I still think he's shite and a waste of money, so on my new metric of xWOM I'm scoring him 30,000,000

2 things Leno is not good at are coming out for crosses/corners as he tends to stay on his line and passing out, although TBH it may be more the way we play that makes him seem worse than he is. I'm willing to give Ramsdale the benefit of the doubt, but I've really not seem him play that much to know if he's better at either of those things. Having said all that, why did we sell Martinez???

We sold Martinez to fund the signing of the new friend of the physios Partey - they needed company after Ramsey, Ozil, Diaby, Walcott, Welbeck, Rosicky all left in recent seasons. 

Auba, Laca, Willian & Runarsson all tested positive and that was the reason they didn’t play last week.

So much for them having fallen out with Arteta and there being more to it…..

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

Auba, Laca, Willian & Runarsson all tested positive and that was the reason they didn’t play last week.

So much for them having fallen out with Arteta and there being more to it…..

yeah, no one would ever used covid as cover for another story...

8 hours ago, Gotters said:

goalie analysis goes beyond saves and goals conceded now

xG is a measure of shot location quality, it measures how often on average a player shooting from a certain spot scores

xGOT is more interesting as it's the next step on and measures the quality of the shot taken and other factors, like defending, so its how often that shot (in the top corner) goes in from there

If you look at a keepers stats you can see over a long period if they are adding value by saving things others don't, or are actually letting in more than they should.

the stats above from Orbinho are based on xG so could be slightly out as low xG shots do still go in but over a longer period give a good idea of things - I'd be interested to see his record measure on conceded from xGOT.

all that said I still think he's shite and a waste of money, so on my new metric of xWOM I'm scoring him 30,000,000

humble brag……Ive met Ramsdale and my mate knows him well, he is very highly rated and will be a shame to see him goto Arsenal - I think you are much more on the money than others in here 😠

What can't be argued is that as much as most fans dislike the Kroenke ownership they are backing Arteta with signings and not just forcing him to make do with what is there.

You can argue whether Arteta should be the one being backed, how well that money is being spent, why the Kroenke's are doing it (to prop up value of their asset rather than love for the club).

Better run clubs would certainly have made the money we've spent on transfers/wages go further and turn into higher placings in the league, leicester spring immediately to mind. 

I think we're in a new wave in the PL now in terms of money and ownership, it was always concentrated in a couple of clubs before but now so many teams have mega money to spend we're going to see more like us just spunking it up a wall and not even qualifying for the 3rd tier europa league. 

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

yeah, no one would ever used covid as cover for another story...

Not sure what you mean.

Are you saying the club said they had Covid to cover up something else?

The club said they were ill last week. Just that. And they were.

The press, and everyone else however, jumped on stories, made up stories about them having fallen out with Arteta, Auba wants to go, we want him to go, we want Laca to go but no one wants him etc etc...

I genuinely can’t believe we managed to get Odegaard for that money. I’d argue that’s the best signing since Sanchez in a lot of ways. When you consider it’s half of what it would take to get someone like Maddison it’s an absolute no brainer. 

18 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

humble brag……Ive met Ramsdale and my mate knows him well, he is very highly rated and will be a shame to see him goto Arsenal - I think you are much more on the money than others in here 😠

My bad, while i have met him its Hendo you should have bought 🤣 at least i have hopes for a fifth relegation for Ramsdale now….

I just watched Ramsdale’s interview on the official site, and would recommend it for any one who has a log in.

He clearly wears his heart on his sleeve, is humble, but also extremely determined. I really hope he does well. I think the Emirates-going crowd will take to him quickly.

The fee is one of those where it seems a lot at the time, but if he’s here 3,4,5 years + (hopefully, as he’ll have done well), it’ll seem cheap.

It’s easy to forget he’s still just a kid, which is why it’s even more ridiculous he’s been getting abuse on social media. It’s becoming a really unpleasant side of the club, where everything/one becomes collateral damage depending on what side of the Arteta/Edu/Kroenke fence you fall on.

He’s been voted POTS the last three years at each club he’s been at (with the relegation caveats etc.) and is part of the England set-up, so there’s clearly something in him. He’s also massively experienced for his age, which makes him stand out.

That obviously doesn’t mean he’ll become world-class, but a lot of fans seem to have written him off as a flop/bad player before he’s played a game for us, which is just strange. 

I have to admit I wasn’t overly excited when I first heard we were linked to him but he’s an Arsenal player now, really wants to be at the club and has come across really determined and well up for it.

We should get behind him.

All this shit he’s getting on social media is embarrassing and the people posting all this bollocks are nothing but mugs.

He’s been getting some real shit on various platforms and he’s done nothing wrong apart from wanting to play for us and to show what he can do.

David Seaman was on the other day talking about this saying he got a load of hate mail from fans when he signed telling him to shove off, and saying John Lukic was better.

The sentiments don't change just social media makes it easier to gob at a player directly.

1 hour ago, g wings said:

Is there some supposed reason he’s being targeted or just people being cunts?

There is a large sense of malaise amongst the general Arsenal support which has been building for years - Ramsdale is simply the latest chapter of that.

To have sold Martinez only last summer for £25m then find more money for somebody who many consider inferior is not good/smart business, as you can see from the reaction in this thread. I'm not aware of Ramsdale being seen kissing the Spurs badge or any other reason beyond some fans not keeping up with the general level of who we can now attract as a mid table team.

So whilst the above is the restrained view multiply that by your average AFTV watching knuckle dragging idiot with access to social media and all ballsy with anonymity and it turns into the online abuse he's been getting.

The short answer is yes, (some) people are cunts.

From the Athletic piece on the signing ....... we're old schooling it as the gaffer fancies a punt on him. 

Video scouting has played a key part in this decision. While Arsenal do statistically profile goalkeepers, those models are currently less sophisticated than for outfield players. Consequently, coaching staff tend to have a more active role, making qualitative judgements based on style and personality. Arteta has been personally involved. It is clear that Ramsdale is his choice.

It's an odd feeling when your new star £50m defensive signing who has played 1 game is ruled out as 'unwell' and you think 'thank fuck for that'

Be good for him to be spared a mauling from Chelsea today which I suspect, we can't keep sucker punching them for cheap wins.