Arsenal

cubeadvance

4 minutes ago, humdrum said:

It's still a red card. even if it is for retaliationm there is no rule saying you can elbow someone if they fouled you. i mean fucking come on.. 

Holding should have been sent off by then, he managed 3 blatant yellows a straight red and potential red before getting sent off for totting up - Son shoukdnt have done it tho if that’s the hot take from holdings headless 20 mins

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

Holding should have been sent off by then, he managed 3 blatant yellows a straight red and potential red before getting sent off for totting up - Son shoukdnt have done it tho if that’s the hot take from holdings headless 20 mins

HAHAHHA, I can't even commit on such a stupid post.

This endless ref stuff has really turned me off football this year, it's so tedious. 

We started brightly but then after 10m Spurs got right back into it. Holding was a pillock and he's meant to be the older calmer head, he was trying to rough up Son who is also a piece of shit but better at it and the red was deserved and no surprise. Yes the elbow from Son looks like a miss but that doesn't excuse what Holding did and when he did it. 

You'll never win anything with Cedric starting, no surprise, though his cover tackle on Kane shortly after the pen was a goal saver.

Neither team are actually that good at present, 4th place is a tallest midget contest. Spurs aren't actually much as a team but have a clinical front 2 who can always snatch them something even if they aren't dominating a match or creating a lot.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Neither team are actually that good at present, 4th place is a tallest midget contest. Spurs aren't actually much as a team but have a clinical front 2 who can always snatch them something even if they aren't dominating a match or creating a lot.

Yeah whoever finishes 4th this year is going to be the weakest English CL entrant for quite some time.

FWIW I would say

- A soft penalty for sure, but clumsy from Cedric and you've definitely seen them given.

- The Son 'elbow' isn't much really, and came after Holding had dragged him over yet again, although if Holding goes down clutching his face and we get a VAR check then who knows.

- Holding red card was absolutely the right decision. Trying to out-shithouse Son is a risky game and frankly I don't know what he was playing at.

Bad result last night of course but it's still in our hands. I can't say I'm massively confident about getting 6 points from the last two games but we are certainly capable of it. I think Spurs will almost definitely get 6 points from their two games so we simply need two wins. 

I think we made a lot of mistakes last night. I would have gone to a back 3 with Gabriel, Holding and Tomiyasu, Martinelli and Saka left and right. Xhaka & Elneny sitting. Odegaard & ESR behind Nketia.

There's nothing wrong with setting up differently sometimes depending on the opposition. Unless you're Liverpool or City and are just better than everyone else.

We should have packed out the midfield, closed off the space and cut off any supply to Son and Kane while also having proper defenders marking them. Cedric v Son was scary stuff even before kick off. 

Yeah the penalty was a bit soft but I think it was a penalty. No intelligence there from Cedric. Why not try and play the ball? What was the point of doing what he did?

As for Holding, absolutely ridiculous stuff. Sending off all day long. Yeah the little elbow from Son was maybe something but not really. Holding totally fucked up and cost us big time yesterday. 

Ok we were 1-0 down but there was still an hour to play. What on earth was he thinking? Just pure stupidity.

Get a point from the game and go into the next two only needing one win. We totally messed it up yesterday. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Most of it self inflicted though.

Gabriel getting injured is a huge blow. Let's hope he'll be fit and available.

I am an Arteta fan but I think he was guilty of a few mistakes yesterday and his comments after the game about the ref didn't really come across too great.

Yeah back your players of course but I find it hard to believe that he really, behind the scenes, thinks the ref is to blame for last night.

We were missing Tierney, White & Partey. So some big first teamers missing but being honest he has to take some of the blame as well as Cedric and mostly Holding of course.

Let's hope we can pick ourselves up and get 6 points from the next two games and last night will quickly not mean that much.

46 minutes ago, wev said:

Tavares v Saint-Maximin is gonna be "fun"

Okay so no Tavares v Saint-Maximin, it was Tomayasu but now it's Cedric 😭

Not a great half but for all their running about they didn't create anything and kept getting done offside. If Odegaard can get a little clean possession there's always a pass on to Saka or Nketiah. We're very much still in this. 

2 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

The goal came from an Arsenal foul throw. We are an elite outfit. 

It was Tavares :facepalm:

Another Sumter clear out needed. I do think fourth would have been over achieving. We introduced four new starters this season and got rid of a lot of long standing but not great players. Next season will be better! EL is right level for us imo (obviously would prefer CL)

Sky trying to blame tonight on the young players, Xhaka giving a weird interview, it wasn't the lack of experience from those young players that let the team down I don't think, Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah were the 3 better players on the pitch. Elneny and Xhaka were invisible, White and Gabriel clearly weren't fully fit, Tomayasu struggled from the first minute. 

Arsenal didn't look organised, didn't look like a team, that's, in my opinion, on the maturer heads. 

Honestly the performances the past couple of games we should be happy with 5th.

We look like world beaters with a fully fit first 11. Couple of injuries to key personnel and we are shit. I think we’ll be better next year with the right summer, but so will Man U and Newcastle…

The foul throws things always boils my piss, Bellerin used to do it all the time now Tavares has 3 this season. Should be one of Arteta's non negotiables.

At least the season stayed interesting a bit longer this year, even if it was due to the decline in quality of the chasing group as a whole. We've lost 13 of 37 games, have a goal difference of only +9 and a thin/young squad appears to have run out of fitness or legs in the latter stages of the season as was always the risk when we did nothing in Jan - even allowing for no cups involvement at all.

League placing alone is hard to determine progress as the wider season for several clubs has been poor, and the up and coming teams like West Ham, Leicester, Villa all underperformed or ran out of legs too with euro cup runs.

The signs are there that there is a decent squad forming who should get better so at this point we need to stick with the plan and let the incumbents get on with their jobs rather than get rid and cause turmoil again.

I don't feel we're anywhere near good enough for the CL, so whilst the money would be handy and it helps attract signings it's not our current level - though there is a chance 5th gets us in if Chelsea get wiped from the face of the earth by the current goings on with the sale.

@GottersI don't know the numbers, but would imagine Arsenal have played the fewest games of teams in the top 7/8? Running out of legs should definitely not be an issue (or excuse).

There have to be questions over the team's mentality though, given how they have faltered against mediocre opposition during that sticky spell in early April, even more so when they then beat Chelsea & Man Utd after that. Is there a problem with motivating themselves?

I think Tottenham are the much better team, so are more worthy of 4th, but Arsenal should've been out of sight weeks ago. 

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@GottersI don't know the numbers, but would imagine Arsenal have played the fewest games of teams in the top 7/8? Running out of legs should definitely not be an issue (or excuse).

There have to be questions over the team's mentality though, given how they have faltered against mediocre opposition during that sticky spell in early April, even more so when they then beat Chelsea & Man Utd after that. Is there a problem with motivating themselves?

I think Tottenham are the much better team, so are more worthy of 4th, but Arsenal should've been out of sight weeks ago. 

for an experienced squad of seasoned pros agree they shouldn't run out of legs on that number of games, for the youngest average starting XI in the league though with players like Saka coming off the back of the euros, and others in/out with injury it's more understandable.

yes should have been out of sight so totally agree they came up short, and probably shouldn't have been in that spot anyway competing, just that the league is very poor at present beyond the top 2.

mentality is always a question with Arsenal, you can change the whole coaching staff, the squad, but somehow that weakness and flakiness remains - it's not all Xhaka's fault. 

On the bright side Arsenal will have the highest league finish for any team in 50 years that lost their opening 3 games of the season - it's like a trophy.

Wolves in 70-71 finishing 4th.