Arsenal

cubeadvance

I don't get you. If you think the squad is ordinary, how is improving it unnecessary?

I admit, it's backwards logic, but why spend over 50mill if he wond the title with a rubbish squad? Surely he wouldn't need to do much to retain it, never mind go all out this much.

My prediction-this will be Fergie's last proper summer. He's spending all this money to mount a serious assault on the Champions League and will leave the club at the end of the season after next; the club full of young talented players the the trophy cabinet full.

I still don't rate any of the man utd back 4.

Vidic is the business and Neville was the best right back in the Premier League. But, Neville & Heinze are both over the hill and I still don't rate Ferdinand in the World Class bracket by any stretch of the imagination.

Vidic is the business and Neville was the best right back in the Premier League. But, Neville & Heinze are both over the hill and I still don't rate Ferdinand in the World Class bracket by any stretch of the imagination.

I've never seen Vidic give a solely impressive 90 mins and I certainly don't think he's much cop with the ball at his feet. Positionally and physically though he's sound.

Ferdinand is a shower of shit, Neville is dependable but has no vision at all and is a cunt. Henize is girl who's afraid of a tackle and doesn't like losing. He fits in quite well with the Utd team really.

I admit, it's backwards logic, but why spend over 50mill if he wond the title with a rubbish squad? Surely he wouldn't need to do much to retain it, never mind go all out this much.

My prediction-this will be Fergie's last proper summer. He's spending all this money to mount a serious assault on the Champions League and will leave the club at the end of the season after next; the club full of young talented players the the trophy cabinet full.

Giggs and Scholes are hardly getting younger and are going to need replacing. As for Heinze is afraid of a tackle? You clearly haven't seen him play.

Three at circa £17m and now another at somewhere between £20m and £35m. And the wages that come with such big deals. What with their debt I'm a bit surprised.

It's only four players though.

Apart from Carrick, they haven't spent major since they got Rooney. But then you have to remember that the sales of RVN and Mikel meant that they didn't use up last years transfer budget.

Three at circa £17m and now another at somewhere between £20m and £35m. And the wages that come with such big deals. What with their debt I'm a bit surprised.

What I meant was that it isn't a complete overhaul, it is improving specific areas of the team. When you're Premiership champions buying players that are (hopefully) an improvement over what you already have isn't going to come cheap. And they are all young(ish) too, there isn't a Schevchenko in the four.

As for what they can afford, I guess they probably know better than you. I doubt Man Utd. are going to go bankrupt next year because they spent money on Nani. Spending money is how they became the team with the biggest income a few years ago and there is no reason why that won't happen again.

You're answering yourself again.

"Why spend over £50m if he won the title with a rubbish squad?"

To which you respond:

"He's spending all this money to mount a serious assault on the Champions League"

I've never seen Vidic give a solely impressive 90 mins and I certainly don't think he's much cop with the ball at his feet. Positionally and physically though he's sound.

Ferdinand is a shower of shit, Neville is dependable but has no vision at all and is a cunt. Henize is girl who's afraid of a tackle and doesn't like losing. He fits in quite well with the Utd team really.

:) And yet this oh so terrible defence had the joint second best record in the league last year despite a shitty injury list in the last couple of months of the season. But yeah, rubbish, all of them.

What I meant was that it isn't a complete overhaul, it is improving specific areas of the team. When you're Premiership champions buying players that are (hopefully) an improvement over what you already have isn't going to come cheap. And they are all young(ish) too, there isn't a Schevchenko in the four.

As for what they can afford, I guess they probably know better than you. I doubt Man Utd. are going to go bankrupt next year because they spent money on Nani. Spending money is how they became the team with the biggest income a few years ago and there is no reason why that won't happen again.

You're answering yourself again.

I know exactly what your saying, thanks. I'm not answering myself either. We all know United are in more debt than some countries (it's easy to find out more or less the exact details of that debt and the repayments) and adding to that debt to such extent exposes them to risk. That was my only observation, nothing more nor less. You commented on it being four players. If they'd bought one player or eight it's still the same amount of money, it's irrelevant. They are actually significantly in debt and spending like money is going out of fashion. I was pointing that out. I'm not saying I've got a problem with it, necessarily. It strengthens them significantly, that will test the other teams.

I do think that this mega spending is no good for the game but then again I often wish Arsenal would spend big.

So, Madrid say they've spoken to Wenger about being their boss. We said it's completely untrue. If they've made it up where the fuck do UEFA step in and put a halt to all this? We had it for months, if not years, with Barca tapping up Henry through the media etc. It does make me cross. I think all teams must do similar but Barca and Madrid are so blatant and see themselves beyond reproach. It's like seeing diving as part of the game. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

I am answering myself, but that doesn't mean I still don't understand how this spending spree is necessary given the vast nature of it. Plus, there's no way it's sustainable given their debts already. Not that I care, it ain't my club to worry about.

Also, I just heard on Sky Sports that the Tevez transfer is in doubt as the Premier League have announced that the transfer fee would need to be paid to West Ham, and not Tevezs owners, meaning that they'd be releuctant to allow th transfer knowing that they're out of pocket. All a bit odd.

And in other replies: I've already said that the rest of Man Utds rivals didnt raise their game enough this season. Edwin's an amazing keeper, perhaps the best in the world on a good day and probably saved you a lot of goals that the defence failed to stop, but I do not rate any of the defenders individually-the stats can say what they want, but I'd take most of the Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea defenders over the Man Utd ones.

As for Heinze-yes I have seen him play. He's an Argentinian Nancy Boy who's happy enough to put his foot in but doesn't like it back, ie, he doesn't like a tackle (on him).

Real need to be sorted out as well, snivelling cunts that they are. Who the hell do they think they are telling the media that they've had talks with Wenger? It says alot when Arsenal release a statement denying press reports, so you know it's not true, but it's both pathetic and massively under hand for Real to do this time and again whenever they feel like it.

They're racking up quite a list of whopping buys though. They must be pretty close to the most expensive team in world football.

Depends how you look at it really. Last years first choice midfield cost less than Shevchenko...

Money is always a nightmare in football. You bemoan other teams for spending loads, yet nobody complains when there own team does it. The whole reason Arsenal have built there new stadium is to allow greater investment in players.

I am answering myself, but that doesn't mean I still don't understand how this spending spree is necessary given the vast nature of it. Plus, there's no way it's sustainable given their debts already. Not that I care, it ain't my club to worry about.

Also, I just heard on Sky Sports that the Tevez transfer is in doubt as the Premier League have announced that the transfer fee would need to be paid to West Ham, and not Tevezs owners, meaning that they'd be releuctant to allow th transfer knowing that they're out of pocket. All a bit odd.

And in other replies: I've already said that the rest of Man Utds rivals didnt raise their game enough this season. Edwin's an amazing keeper, perhaps the best in the world on a good day and probably saved you a lot of goals that the defence failed to stop, but I do not rate any of the defenders individually-the stats can say what they want, but I'd take most of the Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea defenders over the Man Utd ones.

Apparently the whole Tevez thing is some kind of strange loan deal. I've got no idea what it is but Fifa need to get off there fat lazy arses for a change and sort this out.

Really don't agree with you on the United defence but meh, I would of course. We'll just see where we all are in 10 months time and you are all complaining that we've 'bought' the title again.

Depends how you look at it really. Last years first choice midfield cost less than Shevchenko...

Yeah, but I said what I said today. With three 'mega' deals in the bag and another bigger one mooted. It's a lot of money, you must agree. And with their debts, I wouldn't be surprised if things go tits up at some point. I'm not wishing that on them, they're a great Club.

Money is always a nightmare in football. You bemoan other teams for spending loads, yet nobody complains when there own team does it. The whole reason Arsenal have built there new stadium is to allow greater investment in players.

Under our own fucking steam! Jesus, feel our pain, brother ;) .

We're dicked financially right now but we've invested to make a bed for ourselves. Until recently United were the same, they traded within there own ability to generate funds. And fair enough. During the recent Chelsea nonsense I actually yearned for the United years cos at least it was all fair play in one sense.

I tell you this. I'm not yanking your chain. The day we get taken over and start cocking around with borrowed, or imported, or dodgy money is the day my love will truly wane. I do not want my Club to win anything we haven't earned and made for ourselves. That's genuine. I feel no jealousy towards Chelsea or United, nor any ill feeling to their fans. I think they've got a rough deal and anyone who says different has got hold of the wrong end of the stick. All IMO, obviously. I'm not saying that's the right attitude for everyone to adopt.

But, cool. Good input, like to know what you think about that :) .

We'll just see where we all are in 10 months time and you are all complaining that we've 'bought' the title again.

It will be a valid argument though, no? I mean, you're up to your neck in debt and yet you still go on a frightening spree. I'm not sure how that holds water in any sense, regardless of the nature of the game or anything else.

I know we're in debt. It's undeniable. But it's different. It's structured and we're being sensible. We're being mean (as usual :) ) and working within a plan.

On the other hand, United have signed some cracking talent. It could take you to an entirely different level and it will be interesting to watch if nothing else.

Yeah, but I said what I said today. With three 'mega' deals in the bag and another bigger one mooted. It's a lot of money, you must agree. And with their debts, I wouldn't be surprised if things go tits up at some point. I'm not wishing that on them, they're a great Club.

We're dicked financially right now but we've invested to make a bed for ourselves. Until recently United were the same, they traded within there own ability to generate funds. And fair enough. During the recent Chelsea nonsense I actually yearned for the United years cos at least it was all fair play in one sense.

I tell you this. I'm not yanking your chain. The day we get taken over and start cocking around with borrowed, or imported, or dodgy money is the day my love will truly wane. I do not want my Club to win anything we haven't earned and made for ourselves. That's genuine. I feel no jealousy towards Chelsea or United, nor any ill feeling to their fans. I think they've got a rough deal and anyone who says different has got hold of the wrong end of the stick. All IMO, obviously. I'm not saying that's the right attitude for everyone to adopt.

But, cool. Good input, like to know what you think about that :) .

Oh yeah its a hell of a lot of money, especially for 2 players who haven't played in one of the 'top' european leagues. The debt thing i'm not so sure about. This is a guy who has dabbled in American Football, a sport which makes football money look like a jumble sale version of monopoly so at least you know he has his head screwed on. The other advantage is that any of the top 3 'names' in english football (Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United) would have no problem getting a buyer, even with half a billion pounds worth of debt.

I agree with your second point, I wouldn't want to see any club become a home for football 'mercenaries'. It's all about building a team and money can only go so far in that respect. In terms of earning success though where do you draw the line? Surely because Arsenal had to borrow to build a better stadium to then buy better players this is no different to just borrowing money to buy the players in the first place (OK it's more sustainable, but it's still not earned).

The good:

Arsenal have handed Gilberto Silva the captaincy following the departure of Thierry Henry to Barcelona. (Telegraph)

Obvious choice really. Was excellent as captain last year. A proper "run your heart out" captain. I know he isn't people's favourtie player, and isn't our most talented, but the guy never gives anything less than 100%.

The bad:

Arsenal have rejected Real Madrid's claims that they held talks with Arsene Wenger over their managerial vacancy. The Gunners have said the reports are completely untrue. (Various)

Wankers. Just casually mention in a story that they spoke to Wenger to be their new manager. Maybe they did, we can't be sure but what kind of fucking circus conducts their business in this way? Just pissing off anyone and unsettling whoever you feel like. As I say we can't be 100% sure that Wenger hasn't spoken to them but compare what he has at Arsenal with Madrid. He has pretty much free reign at Arsenal, signs who he wants (within reason of course) sells who he wants. At Madrid winning the title is a sackable offence. It's a fucking circus. Like I say it's not the fact that they approached him or even spoke to him, it's that they choose to conduct their dealings via, and with the help of, the media.

The funny:

Arsenal's £6m deal for Auxerre's Bakari Sagna may be off after current Gunner Matthieu Flamini said he is happy to play right-back. (Various)

How did this conversation go? Weren't the papers reporting a couple of months ago that "furious" Flamini was to walk out on the club due to a lack of first team chances? Now he has turned into Barry from Extras.

Flamini: Right that's it i'm leaving.

Wenger: OK. I think I will buy a right back.

Flamini. I can play there.

I'm pretty sure I read Flamini got a cob on at the start of last season as he didnt want to play left-back.

I like Flamini. He's never going to be the greatest player in the world, but he rolls his sleeves up and gives 100%. I like that. And he scored that lovely goal at the Bridge.

If it's true, surely Eboue, Hoyte and Flamini is more than enough cover at right back, and yes maybe the money, if there is any more money which surely there must be, can be spent on a left sided midfielder.

Was Nani and Andersons fees not based on performance etc and just out right?

When you think theat Giggs and Scholes only have maybe this next season at the top I think its wise to get replacments now and let them setel in for a year instead of next summer the spending was needed.

Also the proposed Tevez transfer is ment to be a loan for 2 years with 3 million each year paid to his economic owners :( and then the option to buy for 20 million according to the Times.

If Tevez goes there then Smith will probly be sold and the money for him will cover the 2 loan years for Tevez. When you consider the money for RVN and Obi then it all doesn't look so rediculous.

Another point I enjoy reading this thread despite not being an Arsenal fan and talk of all the young players coming through there but where are Chelseas and Liverpools and Uniteds just doesn't seem to be happening not top class anyway. A few years down the line to me it's obious who will be better off.

Was Nani and Andersons fees not based on performance etc and just out right?

When you think theat Giggs and Scholes only have maybe this next season at the top I think its wise to get replacments now and let them setel in for a year instead of next summer the spending was needed.

Also the proposed Tevez transfer is ment to be a loan for 2 years with 3 million each year paid to his economic owners :( and then the option to buy for 20 million according to the Times.

If Tevez goes there then Smith will probly be sold and the money for him will cover the 2 loan years for Tevez. When you consider the money for RVN and Obi then it all doesn't look so rediculous.

No offence or anything as he's a very good player and one I would like to see at Arsenal but in terms of his ownership and stuff it is as dodgy as fuck.

Another point I enjoy reading this thread despite not being an Arsenal fan and talk of all the young players coming through there but where are Chelseas and Liverpools and Uniteds just doesn't seem to be happening not top class anyway. A few years down the line to me it's obious who will be better off.

We hope so! Would make all these years of being outspent by everyone, not just those three that you mention, all worthwhile.

How did this conversation go? Weren't the papers reporting a couple of months ago that "furious" Flamini was to walk out on the club due to a lack of first team chances? Now he has turned into Barry from Extras.

Flamini: Right that's it i'm leaving.

Wenger: OK. I think I will buy a right back.

Flamini. I can play there.

that got a genuine, real life LOL.

i like flamini. also he has the best song in the world, which is to the sweeney theme tune:

'fla-me-nee!

fla-meee-neee!

dur dur dur dur dah dur dur dur'