rllmuk

What are the rules on emergency loan keepers? I thought that the only time they could actually play is if the registered player then got injured as well, you couldn't just play him instead of Alumnia for example (not that I expect Wenger would).

that's that question answered then.

I’d love to see him back – even in his 40’s he’s still a better option than Almunia. Imagine the dream scenario where he puts in a string of amazing performances leading to him lifting the league title (if he’s not eligible for a medal please don’t tell me).

You need to play ten league games to get a medal. There are ten league games left. It's density.

tumblr_kq51gn61ve1qztmg3o1_400.jpg

Jens-ity even.

I’d love to see him back – even in his 40’s he’s still a better option than Almunia. Imagine the dream scenario where he puts in a string of amazing performances leading to him lifting the league title (if he’s not eligible for a medal please don’t tell me).

I think that there is a minimum number of games a player has to play in to qualify for a medal but clubs can get 'special dispensation' to give them to players who don't meet this criteria. I'm pretty sure United used it to give Macheda (and maybe Welbeck) medals 2 seasons ago when they hadn't played enough games to qualify for a medal outright.

It could have a pretty negative effect on our defence though. I can certainly see Koscielny being scared utterly shitless by having Jens behind him, and spending as little time towards the back as possible. And Squillaci will be totally deaf after Jens yells at him for the 18th time for some pathetic act of defending.

And as mentioned before, surely he's not even allowed to unless Almunia gets injured.

Couldn't he be signed under ordinary circumstances anyway as he's not attached to a club? Not that I expect it to happen, of course, but I was under the impression it would be fine.

Couldn't he be signed under ordinary circumstances anyway as he's not attached to a club? Not that I expect it to happen, of course, but I was under the impression it would be fine.

He probably could, but because Arsenal have 25 players registered in their squad already he wouldn't be able to actually play in the Premier League.

I assume.

Which is why they need to do it all special-like.

He probably could, but because Arsenal have 25 players registered in their squad already he wouldn't be able to actually play in the Premier League.

I assume.

Which is why they need to do it all special-like.

I thought that because half our squad was homegrown and under the age of 24 that we only submitted a 17 man squad or something? It was at the beginning of the season though so I've probably remembered it all wrong.

Edit: Am I thinking of the CL squad rules here?

Top journalistic consistency from Richard Williams in the Guardian:

April 2010: "Selfless to the end, Cesc Fabregas embodies the spirit of a leader"

March 2011: "Arsene Wenger's real blind spot is the Arsenal captaincy"

:lol: dude talks so much shite it's unreal. I wish I could get flown all over the place to write absolute bollocks about football. Fucking nob.

I mean even if you ignore the contradictory revisionism, the second article is still twaddle. Our biggest problem is who we appoint captain? Fucking srsly? So it's not that we are forced into tactical inflexibility due to poor squad versatility. It's not that all of our top players bar Nasri seem to be horribly injury-prone. And it's not that the second string are not effective enough when they are inevitably forced into action. Nope, our real problem is that we have Cesc Fabregas as captain and he doesn't yell at people like John Terry. Or something.

Oh also, according to Mr Williams, further evidence of Wenger's kookiness is that he gave a right-back the No3 shirt. Yeah, fucking nuts, man. If only Sagna was wearing No2 we'd probably still be on course for the quadruple. Curse your crazy ways, Arsene! And thank God for Richard Williams' ability to root out the crux of our problems, getting to the nitty gritty that others would never have thought of. Cheers man. You fucking dicksplat.

Top journalistic consistency from Richard Williams in the Guardian:

April 2010: "Selfless to the end, Cesc Fabregas embodies the spirit of a leader"

March 2011: "Arsene Wenger's real blind spot is the Arsenal captaincy"

:lol: dude talks so much shite it's unreal. I wish I could get flown all over the place to write absolute bollocks about football. Fucking nob.

Have you ever watched Sunday Supplement? The journalists honestly think they are gods. They believe they have some sort of power and that managers and players almost answer to them. Bunch of mugs. If there wasn't for so many knuckle scraping oafs believing everything they read in the papers then these twats would be taken down a peg or two.

The media can almost decide which manager gets the pressure as they are able to sway the fans who are unable to think for themselves.

It's only overplayed by the media though. They're utterly obsessed with the Eng-er-land captaincy, for instance, when most fans really aren't all that fussed. It's a bit weird.

I don't understand the media sometimes. They try to build England up before a tournament but then run all sorts of scandal stories involving players. Then there was the England 2018 embarrassment. I'm sure the media didn't want the world cup in England because they enjoy their 4 week jolly abroad too much. Even the BBC did all they could to fuck the bid up.

As for the England captaincy, it's important to a degree, but the media overplay it because it gives them something to write about. They are lapping up the fact that Terry could be captain again, it sells newspapers.

Apparently club level season tickets are going up 6%. I wonder if they will apply that rise across the whole ground...

I've been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years and I am seriously considering not renewing next year. I pay over £1200 which is quite ludicrous anyway, so a further increase just cannot be justified.

Arsenal don't care about the fans anyway. If I choose to not to renew then some other mug will just take my place and pay the going rate.

Lots of proper fans were priced out years ago, it's the reason why the atmosphere is fucking shit.

I always thought I would go forever but i'm not so sure now. The price is getting out of hand (mine is just under £1000) and i'm not sure I can put up with watching the same season year after year for the rest of my life.

Do nothing in the summer.

Start the season well, raising hopes.

Bad run in October/November, hopes dashed.

Recover well, progress in a couple of competitions, start to think we may have a chance.

Games and injuries pile up after Christmas...

Defeat in a big game hits confidence. More injuries.

More defeats and injuries follow.

Season falls apart.

End up in the top four. So far anyway.

Repeat.

I always thought I would go forever but i'm not so sure now. The price is getting out of hand (mine is just under £1000) and i'm not sure I can put up with watching the same season year after year for the rest of my life.

Recover well, progress in a couple of competitions, start to think we may have a chance.

Season falls apart.

Repeat.

It's not just the football for me. Travelling is not as easy as it used to be. First Capital Connect run less trains than ever, the football special trains hardly run anymore so sometimes I don't get home much before midnight on a evening game and I have to be up 5-6 hours later. My Dad gets even less time as he has to be up at 4.30am, so it's just proving to be a real pain in the arse. We've been going for so long we didn't mind feeling shitty and tired the next day as we'd be buzzing from the match the previous night. But the last 5 years I normally leave the stadium pissed off and annoyed. The shit journey home just adds insult to it all.

Plus rail fares are not cheap anymore. If I want to travel to an evening game from Hitchin, they want £15 for a short 25 minute journey to Finsbury Park! It wasn't long ago that the same journey was about 8 quid.

The whole matchday experience isn't what it was either. At Highbury, everyone was in their seat before kick off, practically everyone left once the final whistle went. At the Emirates I find I am up and down like a whores draws each match as there's people who are late, people who don't know where they are going, people who keep getting up for food/piss - it's fucking annoying. Then there's the people who just don't understand football who turn up (some of these idiots have a go at other fans for making too much noise!!!!). Then there's the food prices in and around the stadium, blah blah blah blah.

Football is supposed to be entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. It just feels like a routine & chore for me these days. The fact that I'm let down by the club & team each season doesn't help either. I know we have to take the rough with the smooth and perhaps if it wasn't so costly I wouldn't feel so cheated. But I expect a club to invest in the squad to improve and it's will not happen this summer. We will NOT sign a new keeper unless Szczesny walks away as he's out of contract, even then Wenger will persist with Flappianski. Despite reports that Barcelona say the deal is dead, it most certainly is not, so Cesc's future is in the balance. If he is sold then once again all the money will not be used on the squad as Wenger will just use Ramsey.

• Upvote 1

Good god, anyone but.

It's weird, i'm undecided. I saw the papers over the weekend with the rumours that he is looking to come back to England and I admit I would be tempted. The man is a trophy winning machine. But he is such a classless chap too. It would be like sacking your kindly old dad who looked after you through tough times and promises to keep you safe for some arrogant shit who promised to take you to Disneyland.

• Upvote 1

Assorted hacks ask Wenger if it's possible they can win all four trophies. Wenger says 'maybe.' Next day: 'WENGER RAPS 'WE CAN WIN THE QUADRUPLE!'

Season falls apart.

Repeat.

Corrected. :)

It's weird, i'm undecided. I saw the papers over the weekend with the rumours that he is looking to come back to England and I admit I would be tempted. The man is a trophy winning machine. But he is such a classless chap too. It would be like sacking your kindly old dad who looked after you through tough times and promises to keep you safe for some arrogant shit who promised to take you to Disneyland.

Can't see it really, I think the board are very happy with Wenger as he has helped steady the ship financially; I'm not sure winning trophies is their number 1 concern. And by and large the fans won't get on his back either, at least not yet. Obviously he got a bit of stick at that AGM forum thingy, but really that ire was totally misplaced as we were clearly skint back then and really he was performing miracles. Whether people will be so patient now that we're getting back to a good financial state I don't know.

I mean I love the guy but really if we don't spend a bit of money in the summer even my patience will run out I think. Okay yeah we're still in with a great shout for the league, but let's be honest, it's only because Chelsea totally imploded, and United have probably their weakest squad for many years. I think we've improved from last season but not significantly. Nasri, Wilshere and Djourou have come on, RVP has been a bit less broken, and that's about it. Cesc has been worse. Vermaelen is dead. Diaby and Arshavin are still unbearably frustrating. Denilson is still awful. We still only have one DM (who doesn't want to be a DM), and 2-3 fit centre backs at any one time. If we win the league I'll be totally elated, obviously, but for me it wouldn't mask the fact that the squad is still a long way off Wenger vintage.

Also I reckon Mourinho might go to Citeh, Mancini will get top four but they're hardly pulling up trees a lot of the time.

All of the "weaker united squad, chelsea imploding" stuff (and I'm not pointing the finger specifically at you The Fox) really irritates me. You can only compete against whats in front of you, yeah the leagues more open and unpredictable than ever, but Chelsea always have some kind of shit going on behind the scenes, Abromavich always gets itchy feet and has to have some kind of input, and United have proved time and again that they don't need a particularly strong squad to remain competetive.

People are too obsessed with the past and comparing this squad to the Invincibles squad without taking into consideration that the Premier League now is a very different beast to what it was then, I hate to say it but would the Invincibles have been as such competing against the teams that are currently in the league? I'm not sure they would. We won that season by a single point having W26 D12 L0 (90 points) to Chelseas W24 D7 L7 (89 points).

I don't mind him as a person, sure he's arrogant but he's an interesting interview and livens up what can be a very formulaic, conservative sport. What I object to is the style of football his teams play, if it could charitably be described as such. Grindingly boring, defensively obsessed, risk averse and just plain terrible to watch. It is successful to a limited degree, Porto aside he won two championships in England with a very strong squad whilst Arsenal and United were rebuilding, no Champions League despite the resources available to him. In Italy he won the Serie A which means very little these days - again, with a very strong squad days and squeaked another CL trophy. His only substantial test since taking over another phenomenally strong squad in Madrid involved getting buggered senseless by Barca. We'll see if he gets past Lyon tonight.

If he were to take over Arsenal we'd have to sell most of our squad as they're not the sort of players he could do much with - quite where we'd find the finance to furnish him with a squad made up of proven, muscular, defensively orientated footballers is beyond me. Why Arsenal would want to do that to play a brand of football far inferior to what Wenger has consistently served up despite massive budget limitations would be even more baffling. What Wengers achieved and what he's done for Arsenal's future is beyond what any managers achieved, at least to my mind. The last few weeks have been disappointing for sure but being knocked out of the CL by possibly the best team ever to play football and the FA cup away to United seems to have precipitated a mindless myopia amongst some.

Anecdote time: I worked with a guy who's uncle was a senior physio at Chelsea. He was a lifelong Chelsea fan and could get free tickets to sit behind the bench at Chelsea through said uncle. In the final twelve months of Mourinho's tenure there were emails sent out by Chelsea asking staff to ensure that those seats were always full. Apparently those seats were frequently less than 50% occupied, despite being free - a mark of how bored many Chelsea fans were with his style of football, despite the unparalleled success he'd brought. A reminder that football's not about winning trophies - it's about entertaining people.

• Upvote 1

We won that season by a single point having W26 D12 L0 (90 points) to Chelseas W24 D7 L7 (89 points).

We won that season by 11 points, Chelsea finished on 79. I take your point though, Arsenals record in Europe is enlightening when comparing the Invincibles squad to our current crop of players.