IGNORED

Class Of 1984

Venice Cull

Just a heads up really for all those who have nostaligic memories of being 12 and having a mate whose older brother could rent 18's from the local garage....

....Class of 1984 has finally been given a DVD release. Check your local retailer for details.

Pretty brutal stuff, and often overlooked as great piece of trash cinema from the betamax era. Don't know if anyone here will remember it though.

I've been waiting for ages for this to come out, as I've spent the past few years absolutely convinced that a rather young, chubby, buck-toothed Tom Cruise is actually in it as an extra sitting in the background of one scene.

All will be revealed soon.

Is he sitting on the grass outside? I remember years ago Empire magazine doing a feature on blink-and-you'll-miss-them first appearances, and The Cruiser was one of them.

I don't believe I've ever seen this film. Amazingly something that escaped my ravenous 80s video watching.

Nah, he's in a classroom scene I think.

But yeah, you should check it out. If there was any justice in the world it would be a massive cult hit - it's certainly got all the elements. It's ultra violent, and it's got the most vicious kick to the bollocks in cinema history that I think I've ever seen (hopefully this version is uncut).

This sums it up nicely:

A stomping reworking of The Blackboard Jungle for the '80s, with Perry King - in the part of the well-meaning teacher originally played by Glenn Ford - faced with a bunch of delinquents who make Ford's sulky juveniles look quite angelic by comparison: psychos, pushers and hookers throng the class of '84 carrying a fancy range of weaponry which somehow escapes the metal detector in the hall. And ultimately King wins through not by patience or insight or understanding, but by something more old-fashioned, like ramming them with cars and smashing their brains out on the concrete. While there can be no doubt that in true tabloid style Class of 1984 feeds on everything it is condemning, as an energetic comic strip it has considerable fascination.

....Class of 1984 has finally been given a DVD release. Check your local retailer for details.

Is it cut? If not it might be time to trade in my R2 French version.

The rape scene is still likely to be problematic for the BBFC, it's pretty prurient and voyeuristic. It's a bit borderline but I can still see the BBFC objecting.

EDIT: According to the BBFC site it is uncut, bit of a surprise but good news anyway!

I remember there was a sequel to this called Class of 1999 where some of the teachers in the school turned out to be cyborgs who started killing the kids. I remember some of the kids being stalked by a (pretty cool as I remember it) terminator-esqe teacher who has had half his body blasted away to reveal the robotic endoskelton beneath.

EDIT: Ahhh, here it is...

CLASS%20OF%201999.jpg

There was another film after 1999, never saw it though.

Actually I didn't know 1984 and 1999 were part of the same series. Bloody loved 1999, even though the copy of it I got had messed up sound so I had to sit up close to the TV with the volume on MAX. Great fun if you accidently turned the TV over in the middle of the night (which I did).

Wow, life is full of little coincidences. I found my old VHS version of this just a couple of days ago while looking through the loft for something else entirely. I will be watching it again in the next few days to see how well it holds up after all these years. Stedman was rather cool, for a ultra violent bully, I seem to remember.

I remember this film.

Thought it was uber crap, even back in the 80's.

The Exterminator was what all the cool kids were watching round our way.

Don't lie to the Exterminator

Whatever happened to Robert Ginty?

I remember watching this in the 80's I think. I say I think because I was so young (born in 78) that I should not have been watching this but my brothers didn't care what I watched. I might pick this up just to see if this is the film I am thinking of. Very violent if it is the film i'm thinking of.

It's got Micheal J Fox in it too!

Wasn't this banned on video in the UK after the 1985 video recordings act?

I rememeber seeing a pirate copy back in 1984 along with ET and Return of the Jedi.

As you say VC, great film if you were 12 years old. I certainly remember playing our equivalent of this in the school playground.

It was great to be a child of the early 80's video boom, I swear my parents thought a couple a rentals were the answer to all our babysitting needs. I've got 3 brothers and each Saturday we'd visit the rental store and each get to pick a movie. My Dad didn't cared about ratings and we got to see some amazing stuff. Seeing Zombie Flesh Eaters as a 9 year boy, gave me nightmares for the next 5 years.

Woah, good to see the BBFC passing this one. The scene where steadman smashes his own teeth on the bathroom sink and then blaming it on the teacher burned itself into my memory.

That's AMAZING. I was going to say the only thing I remember about this film was the bit in the bathroom. I was about 8 or 9 when I saw it I believe. My Mum marrying someone who owed a video rental store was a small blessing. The fact that he then opened up a couple of arcades was icing on top of a pretty fucking huge cake. Shame he was a wifebeating son-of-a-bitch...

Wasn't this banned on video in the UK after the 1985 video recordings act?

No, it was never on the DPP list of officially "banned" films although it is arguably more offensive than some of the stuff that was. It was a very arbitrary list, some of the real nasties were on there but also some pretty innocuous stuff that just had a lairy name or an unjustifiably bad reputation.

Class of 1984 was heavily cut by the BBFC though.

The full DPP list can be found here by the way;

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties.htm