IGNORED

What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?™

Old Dear's Menu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm becoming a bit obsessed by Joy Division, I still remember hearing this for the first time and being in awe, like time stopped still. Imagine being sat in a pub and a random band comes on stage and say their polite hellos then plunge into this, you'd be speechless. I can't grasp the normality of the band as young lads and the music they played, what Ian Curtis is communicating and channelling and the band apparently being oblivious to it because 'well we never read his lyrics', as though the music isn't devastating on its own. They don't make sense, maybe Hannett really did bring so much more out than they thought they were doing when playing live. 

The way Ian sings 'look beyond the day in hand, there's nothing there at all' on 24 hours with such anger. I don't listen to or focus on lyrics in music so I never get all what I should. 

I think I only had this in my library due to Bill Bailey wearing a Royal Trux t-shirt in an episode of Black Books back in the day. I didn't get on with it back then, but one Sunday recently at work at about 5am in the morning I put it on, and it clicked a bit more. It's got a lovely bit of swagger to it. Now I keep on going back:

1000 kids will fall in love in all these clubs tonight

1000 kids will end up gushing blood tonight

2000 kids won't get all that much sleep tonight

2000 kids they still feel pretty sweet tonight

3 minutes of the best dirty guitar wankery ever.

Puscifer - The Remedy. I've been playing their Money Shot album a lot recently. It never clicked for a long time, but this song was the gateway with some great lyrics.

"Yes! We're being condescending. Yes. That means we're talking down to you.". I want to steal that and use it elsewhere.

"You speak like someone who has never been smacked in the fucking mouth. That's OK, we have your remedy. You speak like someone who has never been knocked the fuck on out. But we have your remedy."

It's a great track, and my favourite Puscifer album but lyrically "You speak like someone who has never been knocked the fuck on out. But we have your remedy." surely isn't their finest hour.

Still can't get enough of Aes, speaking of great lyrics. Best song ever written about not liking veggies as a kid (timestamped) -

Spoiler

Rectangle seat 4, squeeze 5, each one
May not be excused from the table 'til the green gone
Stomach revvin' up an episodic rerun
Where's a dissipating plume of smoke when you need one?
Chris and Graham hate 'em too but advocate a braver chew invented for the code red, cola chaser, nose held, gulp!
Moments later 2 have been released
Leaving me the legroom and the legume police
Going "freeze, you with the pretzeled arms
Send your fabricated nausea my best regards
And know this kitchen as a prison 'til the pea pods die
I could sit here all night"
So could I

On 26/05/2022 at 07:51, Nathan Wind said:

It's a great track, and my favourite Puscifer album but lyrically "You speak like someone who has never been knocked the fuck on out. But we have your remedy." surely isn't their finest hour.

Reveal hidden contents

Rectangle seat 4, squeeze 5, each one
May not be excused from the table 'til the green gone
Stomach revvin' up an episodic rerun
Where's a dissipating plume of smoke when you need one?
Chris and Graham hate 'em too but advocate a braver chew invented for the code red, cola chaser, nose held, gulp!
Moments later 2 have been released
Leaving me the legroom and the legume police
Going "freeze, you with the pretzeled arms
Send your fabricated nausea my best regards
And know this kitchen as a prison 'til the pea pods die
I could sit here all night"
So could I

Oh, it's not deep, or insightful, or particularly clever, I'll admit. But it makes me laugh, and very few songs are actually properly funny (in a way that isn't throwaway nonsense). Sadly, tbh.

Each time I listen to this it hits a spot that very few songs ever do. It's up there with McClusky's "The World Loves Us And Is Our Bitch" for just putting a big old grin on my face. It's up-in-your face attitude, but done well, and that ticks an aful lot of my boxes.