Just Got A Ds

sweetdaddyg

They're both brilliant, but the DS is currently leagues ahead in terms of interesting games.

Only thing that angered me when I was making my purchase was that the Game clerk tried to pressure me into a purchase of a PSP. I just informed him I didn't want a poorly designed, over-hyped sony product.

char_comicbook.jpg

I'm in a shit/locked/redundant thread, but I'd like to also point ou that I got my DS yesterday and it's FANTABULOUSTIC and quite good fun.

The dude in Gamestation recommended Mario and Warioware (the last remaining copies of either in the shop, so I figured I may as well). Mario I am somewhat iffy about, as the main adventure is annoying to control sometimes, and I've completed most of it already. The minigames are absolutely amazing though, which pretty much makes up for that (for now).

Warioware is, of course, incredible.

I haven't been paying much attention to such things recently so I was wondering if there's any sort of region protection on DS games? I just know I don't want to have to wait for games from the US or Japan if I can help it, so can they be safely imported without chipping or something? Cheers.

I haven't been paying much attention to such things recently so I was wondering if there's any sort of region protection on DS games? I just know I don't want to have to wait for games from the US or Japan if I can help it, so can they be safely imported without chipping or something? Cheers.

Don't worry, there's no region protection at all so you can safely import any game you like from any country.

David.

I'm still amazed at how good the DS screens are. If the GBA micro is on par or better, I'll be grabbing that 'cos the DS doesn't quite fit in my pocket :)

That said though, it is a nice enough machine. A lot of my GBA games have had a replay because it is nicer to play on, much more ergonomic than the SP for extended play (I think this is due to the width of the machine, allowing my hands to hold the DS in a more natural position). Mario Kart GBA and F-Zero games are great!

I have to get me some more DS games though but everything has been a bit "meh" at the moment. Fucking puzzle games, d'oh! Not even decent ones like Puzzle Bobble, Christ! :( NFSU is supposed to be pretty decent though, I'll have try/buy.

I'm playing Another Code on the DS at the moment, and I'm actually really enjoying it. Yea, it's got puzzles, but at least there's also a story behind it, which I like.

Also recommend Yoshi Touch and Go. Love this game.

Wario is good, but along with Mario and Zoo Keeper I haven't played it in ages.

I did indeed. I also followed it up with my views on the poor design of the square button and the extremely fragile nature of the analog stick. I also expressed my deep reservations, from my heart within, about the high gloss polish of the screen and its ease of scratching....

He blinked, nearly shed a tear and then served me as quickly as possible, without making eye contact.

A female colleague of his pulled out the PSP ready to make the pitch again to some younger customer, but he had heard my tirade and she put it back under the counter just as fast....

I felt righteous....

Do you have a livejournal by any chance?

And well done for showing those pesky GAME clerks what for! They'll think twice before showing their PSP to someone who may actually want to see it! And then you come on an internet forum to brag...YOU GO BIG MAN!

And back on topic, Wario is possibly the best hand held game ever.

For the DS get:

Meteos

Zoo Keeper

They are my most two played games on the system and are both fantastic.

In fact Meteos is SO good I've even considered buying the US version so I can properly understand the mission mode and item creation.

Absolutely wonderful game that meteos. Brilliant.

I'm also on the look out for Kirby and Bomberman at the moment.

And if you have a lot of friends may I also recommend all the games that have single cart multiplayer (especially Diagaso: Band Brothers that was excellent fun when we played it 6 player).

And if theres a lady in your life Nintendogs is pretty easy to understand (even in Japanese) although you might need a second DS for her to use.

All in all the DS is fantastic and buy Meteos.

The BEST thing to get for a DS is a second DS.  The mutiplayer modes on Yoshi & Zookeeper alone justify it.

Here here.

Yoshis multiplayer is actually better than the rest of the main game!

Mr Driller and Meteos multiplayer is also good (and runs off 1 cart with Mr Driller supporting about 6 players).

Ridgeracer has 6 player off 1 cart too (though I dont think much of the game).

Another nice little touch with some games (I know Meteos & Polarium does this and I'm guessing there must be some others too) is beaming a demo to another DS - which is quite frankly amazing!

Now if only there was some sort of Live aware thingy so the DS could alert you to someone beaming multiplayer goodness around in your range. That would be aces.

Now if only there was some sort of Live aware thingy so the DS could alert you to someone beaming multiplayer goodness around in your range.  That would be aces.

There sort of is - in Yoshi, you can turn on Pictochat awareness.

And GAME wonder why they are not making as much money. Its simple, you sell people the products they want today and then in a few months time you sell them the new shiny psp when people can actually buy it! That way you get twice as many sales, instead of putting your customers out of a sale.

And GAME wonder why they are not making as much money. Its simple, you sell people the products they want today and then in a few months time you sell them the new shiny psp when people can actually buy it! That way you get twice as many sales, instead of putting your customers out of a sale.

Wise words..

You can actually play GBC and GB games, but you have to do a little soldering-hack to do it. they locked the functionality out in the last minute. guess it's so the gba would have any use except the smaller size.

Yeah, console alligiences aside, it's simply bad business practice to dissuade the customer from making a cash in hand purchase now in favour of a future product that lets face it is a very different proposition? Surely they should sell the DS first and then tell them how wonderful the PSP is after they've made their money? that way there's a good chance the customer will want to buy both and then everyone wins?

I did indeed. I also followed it up with my views on the poor design of the square button and the extremely fragile nature of the analog stick. I also expressed my deep reservations, from my heart within, about the high gloss polish of the screen and its ease of scratching....

He blinked, nearly shed a tear and then served me as quickly as possible, without making eye contact.

A female colleague of his pulled out the PSP ready to make the pitch again to some younger customer, but he had heard my tirade and she put it back under the counter just as fast....

I felt righteous....

this sort of thing makes me cringe. do you think the staff in Game care about your opinion ? they didn't design the PSP for God's sake. they just sell it. it's how they carry on existing, and if Sony hadn't messed about with the release dates then maybe they wouldn't be in this position of going for the hard sell.

at the end of the day all you needed to say was "no" or shop somewhere else. the guy probably didn't make eye contact with you because he was embarrassed.

Yeah, console alligiences aside, it's simply bad business practice to dissuade the customer from making a cash in hand purchase now in favour of a future product

Does anyone know WHY Game are doing this? Obviously this is an instruction from head office but what do Game gain from promoting the PSP and (seemingly) actively discouraging punters from buying a DS?

Does anyone know WHY Game are doing this?  Obviously this is an instruction from head office but what do Game gain from promoting the PSP and (seemingly) actively discouraging punters from buying a DS?

they do it with every (or seemingly most) purchases. they do not try and put people off buying anything. they're just trying to get them to preorder a PSP. this is nothing new at game and has happened with most previous console releases i can remember. it seems more prolonged with the PSP though because Sony delayed the release. if it came out when expected (March) then this wouldn't be happening. Christ, even when you phone Game up they say something along the lines of "Hi you're through to Game would you like to preorder <insert upcoming title here>"

you Nintendo boys are so touchy.

Yoshis multiplayer is actually better than the rest of the main game!

Prob going a bit off topic here, but I bought my girlfriend a DS so we could play some multiplayer Yoshi after hearing good stuff and it all seems a bit lame in my opinion..... am I missing something!? Can you actually do anything to affect your opponent??

Back on topic.... I bought a DS fairly recently and am loving it - especially since have started to pick up some decent 2nd hand GBA games for it too in anticipation of the GBA Micro.

they do it with every (or seemingly most) purchases. they do not try and put people off buying anything. they're just trying to get them to preorder a PSP. this is nothing new at game and has happened with most previous console releases i can remember. it seems more prolonged with the PSP though because Sony delayed the release. if it came out when expected (March) then this wouldn't be happening. Christ, even when you phone Game up they say something along the lines of "Hi you're through to Game would you like to preorder <insert upcoming title here>"

you Nintendo boys are so touchy.

I don't think that's true at all. They seem to be heavily pushing the PSP. I'm not being touchy I've seen it with my own eyes. And I'm curious as to the business reasons behind this.

I don't think that's true at all.  They seem to be heavily pushing the PSP.  I'm not being touchy I've seen it with my own eyes.  And I'm curious as to the business reasons behind this.

you've seen them telling somoene at the counter, DS box and games in hand, ready to hand over the cash, not to buy it and preorder a PSP instead ?

i don't normally shop in Game but the other week i fancied a little something for the weekend and bought an Xbox game on a whim. at the counter they asked me if i'd like to preorder a PSP. i just said no thanks and that was that. they didn't try and push it. i paid and left. simple.

at the end of the day if they really did have some underhand plan orchestrated by their head office to put people off purchasing DS's, wouldn't it be simpler just to not stock it ?