IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Eats hoops and leaves

After losing my memory card a few months ago, I've finally started a new game of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

It's still amazing. Now I know about the storyline, what Big Smoke and Ryder say at the start can be taken in a whole new way. And starting out like this, with no money, no guns, no reputation... it's so exciting! I'm loving how I don't have to keep my eye on a million stats, or look out for tags, or oysters or anything like that. I'm just bombing around Los Santos with my homies caning through the missions. I was scared that I'd find them boring at first, but I'm bring proved wrong. This game has a 'one more mission' mentality that the other GTA's lacked, IMO. I'm even looking at the ghosted-out map, and despite knowing what to find, there's still a thrill.

After Super Mario World 1 & 2, I really think that this is the best game ever. I urge everyone to dig it out again.

I've only just started it. The feeling of vastness and exploration is incredible isn't it? I can't wait to see 'Vegas'.

I envy you. I'd love to wipe my memory clean of ever playing it and start all over again. Wonderfully put together slice of gaming pie.

I havent put as much time in on this game as I probably should - I held off the PS2 version and picke dup the Xbox version on release, but I just havent had the time to play it much - I am probably about 5 hours or so in - I think I am on the second "OG" mission. But certainly the amount you can do is staggering.

Playing through it at the moment. A shame the missions are still mince (except for the rare nicked-from-Mafia/Call of Duty/Time Crisis 'shooting out of the back of a moving car' ones) and organised in a string of life-sapping bottlenecks. And they've ruined the car handling by making it realistic, all but eradicating the scope for epic, improbably stunt-filled chases. And there's still no way to save replays.

I'm still addicted to it, mind.

I'm re-playing it on the PC. Lovely.

Using a PS2 controller though as I can't get used to mouse / keyboard controlls after playing the PS2 versions.

Noticed that the notorious Supply Lines mission was FAR easier - the plane's still an arse to control but the fuel supply seemed to last far longer - I completed it first attempt will about three-quarters of my fuel left. Does anyone know if they made this mission easier for the PC / XBOX releases after all the moans it got on PS2?

City Slicker is still bastard hard, mind...

I got this on day of release for the XBox, was really looking forward to it. The controls are vastly improved but still a tad rubbish.

The early mission where Smoke makes you find 3 tags put me off for a couple of days, what a stupid grueling thing to have to do. And now I've started taking territories and despite the improved controls everytime I die I feel its the games fault and not mine :P

I dunno, as ever it does the GTA3 thing again even bigger and better and oozes nice touches but I'm finding it hard to get it to hold my attention.

GTA3 is probably still my favourite in terms of the 'game' (in a start to finish story sense).

After losing my memory card a few months ago, I've finally started a new game of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

I had a taste of this when I tried the Xbox version, back to the start... it really does underline the sheer size of the game and the world. I hadn't been back in the original hood for ages in the PS2 version, I'd almost forgotten about it. And of course my movements were restricted... it was odd.

I didn't get on with the Xbox version, but playing it did inspire me to get on with my PS2 game, and I rapidly unlocked a number of fantastic features and became resmitten. My problem now is that I miss using the shoulder buttons to accellerate and having easy access to the camera controls - but I couldn't stand using the black/white buttons on the Xbox pad. I can't win...

Still loving it, though. When I get to the top of Chiliad and a plane smashes into the rock and crashes down at my feet as the sun comes up, I'd forgive the game anything.

as much as i love it, the game world's just too big - which makes me daunted at getting back into it. a bit of a viscious circle for me then really.

Is there any news on a PC patch yet? The sound 'issues' are really annoying me. Great game though. I'll be starting again with a wheel when/if somebody makes an analogue accelerate/brake app.

Don't forget two seperate flight yokes for plane/helicopter travel and a handy joypad rest to make the transition easier between the various modes of play.

I waited for the xbox version and am just getting into this. I am loving the missions which seem a lot more entertaining this time. Previously there was a lot of driving to point A to collect something and take it to point B where as this mixes things up with mini games and good storylines which mask the more simpler missions.

Its just of matter of finding the time to play it all...

I bought this on the day of release and after the initial few missions I got really bored and didn't touch it for months. I was about to trade it in for something when I gave it another and and I was sucked in. Once I started trying to control all the territories then I got to grips with the new improved combat system and it was great. However, what cemented it for me was when I got to Angel Pined for the first time. Amazing, the game just rocketed up and up in terms of quality. I'm still far from completing it, I'm still in San Fierro but I love just driving arounf the countryside, skydiving onto stuff, exploring the forest whilst getting fit, and more importantly I really enjoy the actual main missions. CJ feels like my own creation rather than the forced avatar of the other games.

Possibly the best game of this generation for me, and to think I nearly gave up on it.

Oh, yea this game...

I never actually finished it - was enjoying it, but I got a fair bit into San Fierro and just stopped playing.

Now I can't remember where I was - think I was just about to start the missions for the RC geek guy and my brother says they're bastard hard.

Hmm...

I've only got it for the PC, and while I thoroughly enjoy mucking around on the BMX, I haven't given the main game a lot of time.

I can't progress past the DDR style car suspension mission - the car just DOESN'T want to move in the direction of the music. Perhaps I have no rhythm. Oh well.

;) That is at the start of the game.

Does anyone know if they made this mission easier for the PC / XBOX releases after all the moans it got on PS2?

City Slicker is still bastard hard, mind...

No, the RC plane one is still the most frustrating thing ever.

Is there any news on a PC patch yet? The sound 'issues' are really annoying me. Great game though. I'll be starting again with a wheel when/if somebody makes an analogue accelerate/brake app.

See here:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showt...dpost&p=2058837

Let's you map gas/brakes to any axis with full analogue control. Not sure how well it works with a joystick, but I've got the Xbox pad working exactly as I want.

So, Rowan, if you have a PC capable of running it, and don't mind playing on a PC, you can win!

I've played a fair bit into this (I'm in the second proper city), picked up the PS2 version a few months ago and I've been on and off with it ever since. Problem is I go into it and I never know what to do, it's all a bit daunting, I can go running about doing random fun stuff, which is nice, but I always feel like I could be spending the time doing the missions instead, especially as I don't get much time for gaming these days. Then if I do the missions I tend to suck at them, the RC guy's stuff is getting on my tits and missions is also where the game's problems shine the brightest, control issues and just being so bloody big I can't navigate myself anywhere very easily (also partly down to my not knowing this city too well and generally being a retard I guess, but still, the point is it makes me give up and play something simpler).

Anyway, my point was, er ... it's good yeah, but not the most fun I've ever had or anything.

Let's you map gas/brakes to any axis with full analogue control. Not sure how well it works with a joystick, but I've got the Xbox pad working exactly as I want.

So, Rowan, if you have a PC capable of running it, and don't mind playing on a PC, you can win!

My PC should certainly run it, so I might well give this a try - cheers!

It's a sod to discuss the game again, I find - the Xbox and PC versions mean we're back in spoiler territory. Suffice to say that after going back to my PS2 save, in the space of two or three days, I'd discovered all manner of great stuff and it really got me back into the game.

Ive probably seen everywhere, I think, but there's so much that 'old' places continue to surprise me. And many that don't surprise me continue to delight me, so it's all good. Once the bottlenecks have been passed - which can be a chore - there's just so much to do, so many options...

Last night I bailed out of a plane into the sea, washed up on shore and got involved in a swimming race that turned into a bike race, and God knows what else because I got knocked out early on. But the mission trigger was just sitting there in a fairly out-of-the-way location, waiting to be found (it was called "Beat the Cock", one of the opponents is in a chicken costume). It was great.

Last night I bailed out of a plane into the sea, washed up on shore and got involved in a swimming race that turned into a bike race, and God knows what else because I got knocked out early on. But the mission trigger was just sitting there in a fairly out-of-the-way location, waiting to be found (it was called "Beat the Cock", one of the opponents is in a chicken costume). It was great.

There are two "Beat the Cock" races. One is found on the beaches of Los Santos, the other is tucked away in a little countryside town, by the pier with the wheelchair.

I've done the first, but I keep getting overtaken on the final straight of the second, much longer race. And thanks to a bug, I can't get my strength up.