IGNORED

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Eats hoops and leaves

I don't know what it is, maybe just rose-tinted glasses, but chases in Liberty City I remember as being more fun.

I don't see many roadblocks in SA, either, it seems...

No, you're right about that. GTAIII has the best chases, mostly because of the absolutely crackers (and suicidal) police AI.

It does make me a little nostalgic for the GTA3 days, before stingers and shootable tyres, when you could lead a spectacluar car chase for ages. Good chases seem almost impossible in San Andreas, it's a shame. But then there's a lot more you can do, and shootable tyres definitely have their advantages... especially in the mission where you're chasing the cop out in the ghost town.

Thankyou - you've hit the nail on the head there. I was trying to place what it is about GTA3 that's missing in Vice City and San Andreas, and it is the chases. I could keep those going for hours in GTA3.

Aside from this though, Liberty City does seem to have a vibe about it that you just don't get in the sequels. I don't know what that is, but it seems... fresh and snappy. Like a Christmas morning. I'm definetely going to be digging GTA3 out sometime soon.

Just as soon as I get into the second island on SA... or maybe after I finish all of the missions :)

I've had lots of ace chases through the countryside and on the freeways, especially the LV freeways, and across the northernmost road, above the airstrip (where I generally just say "fuck it" and go over the cliff and down to the airstrip with police cars tumbling down behind me).

I've had lots of ace chases through the countryside and on the freeways, especially the LV freeways, and across the northernmost road, above the airstrip (where I generally just say "fuck it" and go over the cliff and down to the airstrip with police cars tumbling down behind me).

Yeah, I always end up there too. Usually because that's that's where my Little Tank lives.

gruber01.jpg

Aside from this though, Liberty City does seem to have a vibe about it that you just don't get in the sequels. I don't know what that is, but it seems... fresh and snappy. Like a Christmas morning. I'm definetely going to be digging GTA3 out sometime soon.

Yeah, I don't know what it is exactly but I feel it, too. It might just be because GTA3 was there first - VC and SA are amazing, but it was in Liberty City that I first had the feeling of "wow, this is GTA in 3D * 1,000" and so on. There's also the fact that due to the game engine and features, GTA3 is relatively minimal. You can't shoot out tyres, your on-foot options are limited, you can't swim, there isn't a plane or copter around every other corner, there aren't as many weapons or character options, no property to buy, etc. etc. It focuses you more on the Auto element. It's still fun to get up in a tower with the sniper rifle and take on the army, but you spend a lot more time on wheels having fun with the driving and the car physics. I do, anyway.

In GTA3 I spent a hell of a lot of time playing Vigilante, but as the series has progressed I've enjoyed that less and less. Vigilate in SA seems very difficult - tight time limits and trickier AI, and it doesn't work as well out in the open as it does on grid-based city streets, for me at least.

It doesn't really matter, it's all good. It's quite impressive that I still go back and play the earlier games - GTA3 I enjoy for the driving and the gangs - heading into Chinatown is still great fun - and the city environments. Vice City is tops for atmosphere - just biking or flying around with the radio on - and SA is an amazing source of variety. I don't see myself getting rid of any of them, which is rare for me with a series.

Every time I visit this thread it makes me want to stop doing any work and play GTASA. Not an easy compulsion to disregard when you work from home... 8)

Stingers. The code and graphics are at least there in San Andreas, because a week or so back I was on a mission where *I* had to drop a stinger in front of a crazy female driver, in order to slow her down and steal her car. Now that I think about it, don't really remember the cops using them though. Weird.

Love trying to control the car when they've shot out a tyre or two. It's just so very World's Scariest Police Chases. Not the game, obv.

I also enjoy quite a hobby of popping all four tyres on fire trucks with my M4, then watching as they helplessly slither around on four sparking wheels. Sometimes I follow in a car just to observe their misfortune for a while. :rolleyes:

That girlfriend shooting targets on top of the gun store in a little town north of Los Santos; does she give you guns or infinite ammo or something if you become her lover?

I also enjoy quite a hobby of popping all four tyres on fire trucks with my M4, then watching as they helplessly slither around on four sparking wheels. Sometimes I follow in a car just to observe their misfortune for a while. :rolleyes:

I like to get a sniper rifle and go out to one of the freeways where they drive really fast, and blow out front tyres from a distance. Smashy smashy!

I remember the stinger mission, too, now. It was dead easy, as I recall.

Yeah, I want to go home now, but I'm stuck here 'til 5. Roll on Liberty City Stories, I suppose.

In GTA3 I spent a hell of a lot of time playing Vigilante, but as the series has progressed I've enjoyed that less and less. Vigilate in SA seems very difficult - tight time limits and trickier AI, and it doesn't work as well out in the open as it does on grid-based city streets, for me at least.

Oooh, no I love vigilante on the open roads in San Andreas. You can have ultra-high speed chases with the first couple of cars as you both bomb along freeways zig-zagging amongst civilian traffic. It's pure Chase HQ.

Of course, then they start popping caps at you out of the window, so you have to get a bit clever. At this point, I like to do a 'Martin Riggs' from Lethal Weapon. This involves predicting their course though the countryside/desert, then getting in a position ahead of them and waiting on foot to ambush them.

As they drive under the bridge I'm standing on, I riddle their car with bullets, hopefully taking out a couple of goons or a tyre, and I can watch them slide off the road into a ditch, whereby I run over and shotgun their car till it blows up.

Sometime a guy will get out and start running away across the hills. So many ways to deal with him...

I always pop Jizzy's tyres before I enter his club in the mission where you have to get his phone. Watching him skid and wobble (sometimes doing full 360 degree turns!) as he tries to escape at about 10mph is incredibly funny - especially when he does it to the sounds of Booker T and the MG's. 8)

Almost as funny as when I did a series of outlandish drive-bys around Los Santos while dressed in boxer shorts, socks & sandals, and a joke Groucho Marx mask and driving a ride on mower...

I like to do a 'Martin Riggs' from Lethal Weapon. This involves predicting their course though the countryside/desert, then getting in a position ahead of them and waiting on foot to ambush them.

As they drive under the bridge I'm standing on, I riddle their car with bullets, hopefully taking out a couple of goons or a tyre, and I can watch them slide off the road into a ditch, whereby I run over and shotgun their car till it blows up.

Sometime a guy will get out and start running away across the hills. So many ways to deal with him...

Fucking stop it! I want to go and do this right now! I am meant to be working! Stop!

I always pop Jizzy's tyres before I enter his club in the mission where you have to get his phone. Watching him skid and wobble (sometimes doing full 360 degree turns!) as he tries to escape at about 10mph is incredibly funny - especially when he does it to the sounds of Booker T and the MG's.  :rolleyes:

This occurred to me on that mission, but I assumed the game would reset Jizzy's car after the cutscene and would thus have no effect. Bugger! Took me ages to catch him. I had to follow in a limo 'cause it's all that was nearby. 8)

BTW, is this a well known bug? If I start then quit the shooting practice subgames at various AmmoNations, I get lots of free bullets for my gun. This was pretty handy when I was low on cash, because you normally have to buy multiple guns just to get more ammo. Must try it tonight with the chaingun.

This occurred to me on that mission, but I assumed the game would reset Jizzy's car after the cutscene and would thus have no effect. Bugger! Took me ages to catch him. I had to follow in a limo 'cause it's all that was nearby. ;)

Nope, doesn't reset it. Once I shot the gastank on his Pimpmobile by mistake and blew his car up. When he got outside he nicked a Faggio scooter off someone and farted off on that instead. :o

You can leave your vehicle of choice parked outside his club and it will still be there too. Motorbikes are good because you can fire the machine pistol forward while you ride.

Nope, doesn't reset it. Once I shot the gastank on his Pimpmobile by mistake and blew his car up. When he got outside he nicked a Faggio scooter off someone and farted off on that instead. :unsure:

You can leave your vehicle of choice parked outside his club and it will still be there too. Motorbikes are good because you can fire the machine pistol forward while you ride.

I never thought of any of this. What I tried to do was box his car in.

When I left the club, the cars I used were gone (as was the bike I had lined up to chase him in).

Some smart shit.

Yes, it is minimal isn't it? It feels a lot tighter and more compact and focused. I also reckon that because it's set in 2000 rather than a past year, with it's Internet addresses splashed on billboards and shouted out over the airwaves, it's easier to fall into the world as you're not constantly stepping back in time in your head.

GTA3 is the most 'fun' out of them all, I think. But Vice City has the atmosphere nailed down completely and San Andreas is just utterly enthralling. The scope of it still makes me reel, and I've had it since day 1.

Also, I love hearing how people have beaten certain missions. Everyone has a different story.

Hmmm, OK... for some reason i've been given the entire map. This was just before purchasing the runway so most of it was uncovered, but still...

Which brings me on to how much I hate the flying missions :unsure:

You know the old unused garage that CJ acquires in San Feiro (sp?) I've finished all of the missions there as far as I am aware but its always marked off with a destination marker on the map. Not sure if this is a bug or I'm supposed to be doing something else there. Anybody esle encountered this ?

Hmmm, OK... for some reason i've been given the entire map. This was just before purchasing the runway so most of it was uncovered, but still...

Which brings me on to how much I hate the flying missions :P

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

I just unlocked Las Venturas too, or the desert bit anyway, I'm still not allowed to buy property in Las Venturas by the looks of it, but yeah it opened the whole map up for me too. Toreno rocks by the way.

My point, however, was the flying missions. I've just done flying school, it took me all afternoon, literally. I couldn't even do the takeoff for 15 minutes, I suck that much. And R3 for landing gear? I had to use my chin to press it, are they fucking stupid? After I spent an hour doing circling the airstrip then realised I had to do it again but land at the end, I thought I was going to cry. Did it fairly quickly though, all that practice from having already done it minus landing I guess.

That helicopter mission though, my right hand hurts from smacking the side of the TV, I've got a bruise on my head from battering the controller into it (to be honest I'd rather damage my head than the controller) and I've got a huge headache, it was the least fun thing I've done in ages. And from reading a walkthrough I notice you only get one flying mission, which is good because I hate flying, but then I've just spent an entire afternoon finishing flight school (why can't you do the mission once you gain the license?) so I can do one measly mission. Christ.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, I wouldn't have spent all afternoon trudging through such crap if I didn't. But bloody hell. To whoever wanted to get rid of mission failed, I think I'm now with you, and get rid (as much as is possible) of compulsory missions. I'd quite happily never ever fly ever.

You people are shite. The only hard ones are the flying around the runway ones and the barrel roll, and only because that plane handles like a dead cow. The rest were pretty simple.

Having said that, I haven't attempted Supply Lines yet because I'm too scared.

Let's hope he doesn't come back and say yes. -_-

Flying is one of the most liberating things you can do in SA. It makes no sense to me that you'd want to avoid it! Except that you're shit at it. Supply Lines is a total cock, but that doesn't matter. I was happy to get my pilot's license ASAP just so that I could drive proprietorially through the gates of any airport, select an aircraft, and fly it away. Beats having to scale the walls! Before I got my license I must have jumped off that towering cliff that leads to the San Fierro runway hundreds of times to get my mitts on a plane.

If I have to get to another city I'll grab a plane at the airport, zoom through the sky until my destination is directly beneath on the radar, jump out, let the bugger crash, parachute down. Love it.

the only real problem i had with flying missions was toreno's very last mission.

on the xbox pad it's a real pain to pilot the hydra properly. in order to steer, lock, fire, control speed, and switch between flight modes, you need to use both shoulder buttons, the black and white buttons and 3 face buttons, and three different functions that are assigned to the right stick.

so it's effectively 8 buttons assigned to one thumb, some of which are needed simultaneously. awkward.

but so fun at the same time

This thread made me get the game out again the last couple of day. And I've discovered Regular Tom, which I never knew was there before. I also found a display of a piece of cable from Gant Bridge and a sign with facts about the bridge, like number of polygons and how much disc space the bridge takes up. And an old woman with a camera who walks off a cliff.

The game just keeps giving.

The flying school nearly made me uninstall the game, such was the frustration with it. Especially in that it seemed a solid roadblock to anything else in the game. What was even more annoying was as soon as I did the two fly through the hoops missions (which took about 3 hours) the others just fell into place in about 20 minutes.

Haven't bothered doing anymore of Torreno's missions though.

I blocked Jizzy in with the limo and then grenaded his car when I came out and he was trying to scrape past the limo. I even tried planting a remote bomb on the car but the bouncers shot me. -_-

I've logged over 120 hours now and I'm still enjoying it. Few things beat simply tearing round the countryside on a Sanchez, and accidently going over a cliff. Probably the only time a videogame has induced vertigo.

Worst thing about the game - the time it takes to fucking change clothes.

I sorted Jizzy out with a chain gun, as I recall. But later, when I had to take out a cop, I used the tyre-popping trick. The game was being an arse and not letting me shoot him until he got in the car (well, I could, but he didn't take any damage), so while he was getting in I popped his left-hand tyres - it certainly made it easier, but he still drove around like a maniac, and the burst tyres made him as slippery as an eel. In the end I pulled him out of the car, got in myself, backed it over him and then shot him in the head while he was pinned to the ground.

Oooh, no I love vigilante on the open roads in San Andreas. You can have ultra-high speed chases with the first couple of cars as you both bomb along freeways zig-zagging amongst civilian traffic. It's pure Chase HQ.

The chases are great, but apprehending the perps causes me problems. I've never gotten beyond three, which is shameful. Usually my car is wrecked by then and there are no replacements to be found... I think a lot of my threes have only reached that level becase I've chased the target down in a civilian vehicle just before the time ran out.

But I keep going back, naturally.

This weekend I've discovered a whole set of missions I wasn't aware of, two lots of races, a new school, a new type of plane... it goes on, and I've had the whole map unlocked for a while.

We also had a great time messing around with the various cheats - arm all civilians and set them to attack mode, and sit back as the fun rolls in. Albert Fish compared it to the start of the Dawn of the Dead remake - wrecked cars everywhere, explosions as you drive past because plenty of the civilians have rocket launchers... insane stuff. It's like getting State of Emergeny thrown in for free, with vehicles.

Supply lines is a bit of a bitch sure, but I only completed it (and easily too), when I'd got to grips with the flying and understood something obvious: you should onl;y use the fuel to climb- then simply glide to the destination.

As for the flying school- I thought the only hard bit was the fly through the hoops and land mission. Personally I found it useful- but if you're not going to fly (and it's not as though there aren't enough ways to travel around) it's probably pretty pointless.

Personally I got annoyed by the driving school. Especially the fact you couldn't break at any time.

The hydra mission in the school is piss easy though- simply keep your machine guns on at all times, screw the other weapons.

Finished the Xbox version last night and am disappointed to be honest.

Game percentage is about 55% complete I think. Really didn't think the ending would come so soon.

My question is - are the "side missions" good enough for me to persevere with, now I'm done with the story mode? I have read about some helicopter missions and such - none of which I seem to have done.

Are they "proper" fun missions, with a story attached? Or simply take A to B without any kind of dialogue? Cheers

Finished the Xbox version last night and am disappointed to be honest.

Game percentage is about 55% complete I think. Really didn't think the ending would come so soon.

My question is - are the "side missions" good enough for me to persevere with, now I'm done with the story mode? I have read about some helicopter missions and such - none of which I seem to have done.

Are they "proper" fun missions, with a story attached? Or simply take A to B without any kind of dialogue? Cheers

In my opinion, they're well worth it. I've been playing off and on since the PS2 release, I think I'm up to 70 hours plus, and I haven't finished the game yet. I think I'm near 60% completion. Clearly I've been spending a lot more time on the side missions or (more likely) just goofing around. As I said above, if you play SA with the goal of 'finishing' the game, I think you're missing the point.

But it depends on the kind of gamer you are - the other night I jumped into a car in Venturas and was told I could export it over in the Fierro docks. That was a fairly long drive during which I wouldn't want to cause any trouble or risk wrecking the car, but instead of groaning I just turned around and headed off, thinking which route make the most enjoyable drive. Then I just drove all the way to the docks, taking in the scenery, observing the occasional police chase, and listening to the radio. Hardly any gameplay in there at all - just left and right, really - but I enjoyed myself.

Most of the time in San Andreas, I'm doing less than that...

But it depends on the kind of gamer you are - the other night I jumped into a car in Venturas and was told I could export it over in the Fierro docks. That was a fairly long drive during which I wouldn't want to cause any trouble or risk wrecking the car, but instead of groaning I just turned around and headed off, thinking which route make the most enjoyable drive. Then I just drove all the way to the docks, taking in the scenery, observing the occasional police chase, and listening to the radio. Hardly any gameplay in there at all - just left and right, really - but I enjoyed myself.

Most of the time in San Andreas, I'm doing less than that...

taking the cars back there in one piece is one of my fave parts of the game, I'll be sad when I get that final car.