Stephen King

Silent Runner

Following on from the above, I got an email today from amazon saying that after I bought IT, the price dropped to 99p, so they've given me 50p credit. Tiny amount, but the service is great!

Following on from the above, I got an email today from amazon saying that after I bought IT, the price dropped to 99p, so they've given me 50p credit. Tiny amount, but the service is great!

I just finished reading IT, actually the first full-length Stephen King book I've read, apart from The Shining years ago. Decided I wanted to read it just after that Northampton Clown thing in the news a while ago. Brilliant book. I'd seen the film/TV show with Tim Curry in, several times over the years and always enjoyed it but the book is so much better.

I have read the Shining, albeit a long long time ago and I did enjoy it although found some of it a bit of a slog, I guess because I was very young and it was one of the first grown-up books I read.

Will check out Talisman - also found one I've never heard of called Desperation which sounds quite enjoyable from it's synopsis. Recommended?

I have read the Shining, albeit a long long time ago and I did enjoy it although found some of it a bit of a slog, I guess because I was very young and it was one of the first grown-up books I read.

Will check out Talisman - also found one I've never heard of called Desperation which sounds quite enjoyable from it's synopsis. Recommended?

'Desperation' is a great book of his, I love it but it doesn't seem to an opinion that a lot of other King fans share. I think it was because it was "twinned" with the Bachman book, 'The Regulators'. Too many people focussed on the "gimmick" rather than the actual works themselves.

It also works as a great standalone story, without any extranous ties to his 'Dark Tower' work - though later novels work to place 'Desperation' into that universe too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back in to Stephen King. I fancied 22.11.63 as its about the Kennedy assassination which I am fascinated by and I really ejoyed it. Course I have read a lot of his stuff previosuly, the stand, desperation, needful things, Dark tower etc etc. But I haven't read of his stuff for a while . So I picked up Hearts In Atlantis, and whilst most of the book was "ok" to "good". The first parts, "low men in yellow coats", is some of the best King I have read.

• 1 month later...

I fancied getting into a new series of books and was recommended The Dark Tower. It sounds right up my street really. The last King I read was the Stand and i've read that about 3 times since, it's just that good.

Also saw 22.11.63 in Waterstones when buying The Gunslinger, the synopsis sounded really interesting.

Couldn't get into it myself. Tried read The Gunslinger about three times in the past 10 years and it's always failed to hold my attention, despite the fact I love the premise and the idea of a massively long-form, interwoven Stephen King universe. Then I tried to read the comic series as an alternate entry-point to see if that stoked my interest, but didn't make it past the first few issues.

It's not that I don't like his writing because I've made it through several of his longest books in the past, like It and The Shining, and pretty much loved every moment of them.

Have started a re-read of 'The Stand' because it's honestly been about 20 years since I read it and I can't really remember anything other than red eyes looking out of endless cornfields and a huge, big, aww-lawwdy black woman (blind?).

Surprised at how meaty the start of the book is at fleshing out the characters - I'm 15% of the way through and Captain Trips has only begun to make a serious appearance in the last few pages.

Also, reading this in a nearly deserted office, which seems to be populated only by people who have got some kind of cold themselves is upping the creep-factor no end.

Couldn't get into it myself. Tried read The Gunslinger about three times in the past 10 years and it's always failed to hold my attention, despite the fact I love the premise and the idea of a massively long-form, interwoven Stephen King universe. Then I tried to read the comic series as an alternate entry-point to see if that stoked my interest, but didn't make it past the first few issues.

It's not that I don't like his writing because I've made it through several of his longest books in the past, like It and The Shining, and pretty much loved every moment of them.

It gets a lot better after The Gunslinger.

Just got back in to Stephen King. I fancied 22.11.63 as its about the Kennedy assassination which I am fascinated by and I really ejoyed it. Course I have read a lot of his stuff previosuly, the stand, desperation, needful things, Dark tower etc etc. But I haven't read of his stuff for a while . So I picked up Hearts In Atlantis, and whilst most of the book was "ok" to "good". The first parts, "low men in yellow coats", is some of the best King I have read.

I think it's one of his most underrated books and I even enjoyed the movie.

• 7 months later...

I finished Mr. Mercedes over the weekend but I wasn't really into it. I didn't care if the bomb went off and I felt the whole thing was waaaaay too long. Hodges, Brady and Jerome were all good characters but Holly was incredibly irritating. And any pages she was on were a real slog. Disappointing.

I finished Mr. Mercedes over the weekend but I wasn't really into it. I didn't care if the bomb went off and I felt the whole thing was waaaaay too long. Hodges, Brady and Jerome were all good characters but Holly was incredibly irritating. And any pages she was on were a real slog. Disappointing.

Felt much the same and was doubly pissed off when I saw a spoiler on Twitter from the man himself when I was only half-way through!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Read about the first third of Under the Dome.

I always avoid the Wikipedia page about books I'm reading before I've finished them, because I've had so, so many instances of going to check up on some detail like publication date, and getting my eye distracted by one sentence, which ends up being a massive spoiler. Or at the very least I think "Arg shit that might be a spoiler" and whatever I've read ends up tainting my expectations of what is going to happen.

I forgot about my rule and went to the Wiki page for this book. to find out whether what I'd heard about it being part 1 of a series, was true. No mention of it in the intro so I assume not. And sure enough my eye got distracted by a piece of text

connection to The Cannibals

, and I immediately thought, "FUCK I've done it again!".

So I guess

cannibals

are going to figure in the story somewhere!

Horses for courses and all that, I think it's his strongest book in years. Indeed he even managed to pull off a good ending!

Fair enough. I haven't read a huge amount of his stuff anyway, so it's hard for me to compare. For me, it was a strong start, with an increasingly long, rambling, boring middle, and then a good bit at the end, to wrap things up.

• 1 month later...

Stephen King's new novel Revival has been reduced to £2.99 on Kindle a mere 4 days after publication. I had no qualms returning my order for a refund and buying again immediately!! 45% in and enjoying it immensely. The saving allowed me to buy Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revival-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B00IJZRUUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1415991700&sr=1-1&keywords=Revival

Stephen King's new novel Revival has been reduced to £2.99 on Kindle a mere 4 days after publication. I had no qualms returning my order for a refund and buying again immediately!! 45% in and enjoying it immensely. The saving allowed me to buy Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revival-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B00IJZRUUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1415991700&sr=1-1&keywords=Revival

That's annoying. I've got the book on the way for my birthday next week so I've got to wait.

Almost finished Revival and loving it so far. I was pretty disappointed with Mr Mercedes and Doctor Sleep and struggled with them at times but this has kept me up late for the last few nights. The central character, his antagonist and the setting are all great. It has that perfect King balance of spooky stuff, character stuff and little glimpses into American life

Best thing he has written in years and I can't wait to see how it ends.