Stephen King

Silent Runner

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

I am nearing the end of the Dark Tower series now, finally, and just in time for the film.

I'm also about a third of the way through the last book.

Spoiler

I predict that the ka-tet saves the breakers and uses them to reinstate the beams, reaches the tower, there'll be some twist about who is in it, Roland dies fighting spider-baby and Susan is waiting for him. Jake, Susannah and Eddie live happily ever after - maybe in a New York of some sort.

Dont read this, @And (and neither you, @Sie)

Spoiler

So Oy is dead. You know, that's one of the intuitions I talked about. Earlier in the book there is a scene where Mordred eats a billybumbler, and for a shocking second you think it's Oy. Although it wasn't, ever since I had the feeling he'd still end up killed by Mordred. I'm just glad he didn't get eaten, but man, this is the first time I think I actually cried for one of the deaths. I love all of the ka-tet and Jake's death in particular was horrible, but somehow this hit me the worst even though you see it coming from a mile off. "The body was far smaller than the heart it had held." Ffs :(

Also, theory wise, what I meant by there maybe being a surprise concerning the Dark Tower, I'd just like it if the reader's aka Roland's expectations would be completely turned on its head. Maybe not "there is no Dark Tower" style but something along those lines, maybe that it's not nearly as significant as it's always been made out to be, I dunno.

What's the significance of the date?

But did you like the ending? I presume you

read past the warning!

FWIW I think it was a perfect ending and I agree with what he wrote in the postscript (I think) about coming to the conclusion that it was the right ending, the only possible ending in a way.

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

What's the significance of the date?

But did you like the ending? I presume you

Hide contents

read past the warning!

FWIW I think it was a perfect ending and I agree with what he wrote in the postscript (I think) about coming to the conclusion that it was the right ending, the only possible ending in a way.

Yeah I'm quite happy with it!

Spoiler

I had to read past the warning, how couldn't I! I agreed fully with the sentiment, and honestly hadn't actually expected that he would offer an ending, but when it's there, it's impossible to resist (I wonder how many readers, if any, did resist). And I am happy with it, because other than this or Roland dying I have no idea how he could have ended it, and this ending at least gives the reader hope, in a way; it's not too final. It's at the same time very depressing, but I like that. Roland is a tragic character, how can a character's story and life that revolves so much around death have a happy ending? And we did get some of that for the others, so I'm all good, it's pretty much how I wanted it.

But yeah, ka is a wheel! I knew there'd be some kind of twist :D

On 24.10.2016 at 12:38, Darren said:

Yes the rest of the series definitely improves. The Gunslinger is a bit of an odd one as it's not really like any of the others in the series, despite including a few iconic moments that become important later on in the story. I read the original version at the start of the sequence, then after finishing book 7 immediately went back and read the updated version (you'll know why when you get there) and TBH apart from the odd added background detail to tie it in more with the later books, there's not really much difference.

I should add a disclaimer that the I read volume 4 first (my wife bought it me for Christmas not realising it was part of a series) and for a lot of that I didn't have a clue what was going on. But it was good enough to make me go back and read the rest.

Hehe, this is interesting. I have both paperback versions here, and I am planning on comparing them page by page :lol: not yet though, need to let eveything sink in first. But I am curious about the changes he made, even if they're relatively minor.

@Stigweard did you ever keep on reading the series? 

:lol: That's exactly what I did! But the changes were all very minor from what I remember. I think he took a few paragraphs out here and there, added a few in, and stuck a few of those people with bird heads in the background of the odd scene. All quite unnecessary really.

27 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Hehe, this is interesting. I have both paperback versions here, and I am planning on comparing them page by page :lol: not yet though, need to let eveything sink in first. But I am curious about the changes he made, even if they're relatively minor.

@Stigweard did you ever keep on reading the series? 

Nope, I moved onto something else. I might go back one day though.

50 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Nope, I moved onto something else. I might go back one day though.

You really should. It may not start on its best foot with The Gunslinger but the tale as a whole is simply wonderful. I'm really going to miss those books.

Just now, Illyria said:

Yes, they're fantastic. If you haven't you should definitely give the second book a shot, as that's where the story draws in most people.

Reveal hidden contents

See what I did there ^_^

:lol:

On 19/07/2017 at 16:45, Sie said:

You really should. It may not start on its best foot with The Gunslinger but the tale as a whole is simply wonderful. I'm really going to miss those books.

In some ways the first book remains my favourite. I wasn't entirely happy with his rewrite of it either. It had something... a sense of mystery which I really enjoyed. 

Yeah, I'd been told the original version was the one to read if possible but only the revised edition was available on Kindle from what I could see (I bought the digital boxset). That said, I still enjoyed The Gunslinger but I think it was book 2 that really woke me up to the series. It totally subverted my expectations of what Dark Tower was going to be about.

That point when it transforms from a dark fantasy western with sci-fi trimmings into a full-on time hopping, universe swapping headfuck for Roland. I read most of that book in a day because of how strongly it hooked me in

@SieOh yeah completely , the 2nd and third books are fantastic. But i'll never forget reading the first book and the feeling of... potential. It hinted at so much.... and then a 5 year wait to find out what!  Not as bad as the 6 year wait after the Wastelands though!

On 7/19/2017 at 11:19, Illyria said:

Dont read this, @And (and neither you, @Sie)

Hide contents

So Oy is dead. You know, that's one of the intuitions I talked about. Earlier in the book there is a scene where Mordred eats a billybumbler, and for a shocking second you think it's Oy. Although it wasn't, ever since I had the feeling he'd still end up killed by Mordred. I'm just glad he didn't get eaten, but man, this is the first time I think I actually cried for one of the deaths. I love all of the ka-tet and Jake's death in particular was horrible, but somehow this hit me the worst even though you see it coming from a mile off. "The body was far smaller than the heart it had held." Ffs :(

Also, theory wise, what I meant by there maybe being a surprise concerning the Dark Tower, I'd just like it if the reader's aka Roland's expectations would be completely turned on its head. Maybe not "there is no Dark Tower" style but something along those lines, maybe that it's not nearly as significant as it's always been made out to be, I dunno.

@Illyria

Oh fuck, that bit with the bumbler (not Oy) RUINED me:

IIRC, the Bumbler's thoughts are something like, "I just want to run and play in the sun". Makes me want to cry every time I think of it.

At least Oy died for a cause

:'(

Oof, right in the feels.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

@Illyria

Oh fuck, that bit with the bumbler (not Oy) RUINED me:

Reveal hidden contents

IIRC, the Bumbler's thoughts are something like, "I just want to run and play in the sun". Makes me want to cry every time I think of it.

At least Oy died for a cause

:'(

Oof, right in the feels.

Yeah.

Spoiler

Oy was horrible, but at least he went out fighting and fulfilling his mission. :( also, I really want an Oy.

So, it's been probably more than 20 years since read a King Novel (or something like that anyway), and as his name has been cropping up rather often recently (strange how a film does that :P ), I thought I'd pick up The Stand and give it more than the pitiful attempt I gave it all those years back.

I've got to say, I'm loving it. Whether or not I'll feel the same after 1000+ pages I'm unsure, but at the moment it's great :) .

King has a fantastic way of drawing you into his worlds.

Well, I believe I'm well over half-way in the book, and I can't put the thing down. 

I'm incredibly glad I decided to give it another go so long after I gave up before-hand.

Sheesh, I've got a lot of King novels to work through now, haven't I :P 

I'm on to book 4 of the Dark Tower and this is without a doubt the best so far.

Unfortunately I've heard it's downhill from here. 

My Dad reckons the ending is a mess and King couldn't work out how to end it.

I'm hoping he's wrong as he is a misery and stuck in the 20s. But... he possibly could be right.