Stephen King

Silent Runner

19 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, The Stand is well and truly done. 

Fantastic book. 

Couldn't put it down!

I finished it today too and agree completely. Loved it.

Having only ever read Night Shift before I'm (very slowly) working through King's books in release order and it's been a great experience so far: Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining and The Stand are all belters. Rage less so, but I do like the sound of The Long Walk, which is up next.  

On 06/08/2017 at 16:56, Illyria said:

Just did a little count, I'm at 20 King books read now. Have The Stand, Doctor Sleep and Different Seasons already waiting in the wings, though :D

Turns out I've read 43 ! If you count green mile as one. And I've read the dark tower series 4 times! (one of those was reading out loud , which took a while).

3 hours ago, Strategos said:

But it was released as a series of what 7 episodes :) Could call it 50 books!  Yeah I read it to someone took best part of two years i think.

Ah well The Gunslinger was not originally released as books either, so you'd have to count that differently too!

On 19/07/2017 at 11:06, And said:

I'm also about a third of the way through the last book.

Hide contents

I predict that the ka-tet saves the breakers and uses them to reinstate the beams, reaches the tower, there'll be some twist about who is in it, Roland dies fighting spider-baby and Susan is waiting for him. Jake, Susannah and Eddie live happily ever after - maybe in a New York of some sort.

Finished. 

Spoiler

Well that ending can fuck right off. 

Though I was right about Susannah, Eddie and Jake, kind of. 

Poor Oy 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember now where I said I'd put my DT reading order up, but may as well put it here.

Just to say, it's not hard and fast (ooh-err) so no need to post lots of 'I'd swap X for Z' replies ;)

599d42a0a052e_ScreenHunter_01Aug_2309_50.jpg.1f40da1c6ef2cda41abb17b611f03857.jpg

This is aimed at people who haven't read much King before, as the DT books reward long term readers. You could strip this back, but I'd still advise reading the books that A) contain core characters and B) key parts of the universe. So don't skip The Stand, The Mist, Salem's Lot, IT, Insomnia, Low Men... or Everything's Eventual.

9 minutes ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

What?

The five stories that constitute the novel were originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction:

"The Gunslinger" (October 1978)

"The Way Station" (April 1980)

"The Oracle and the Mountains" (February 1981)

"The Slow Mutants" (July 1981)

"The Gunslinger and the Dark Man" (November 1981)

It took King twelve and a half years to finish the novel. The finished product was first published by Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.as a limited edition in 1982.

I consulted the wiki after replying to your comment. I personally still consider it a single novel since I assume it wasn't just the text of those stories thrown together under a book cover. Stephen King short stories are a thing all of their own and even as an avid King reader of nearly 30 years I find it almost impossible to catch up on everything he's written, especially if those stories have never been collected in a book. This subject has had me reflecting that I've only ever read the original Gunslinger and not the updated 2003 edition. I'm feeling sad that I let my original go in a boot sale some years ago. I think I'd quite like to read it alongside the update. I'm also reminded that I've only read the abridged version of The Stand

as when it was first released the full text was considered too much for a single novel release.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 21:14, JoeK said:

Well, The Stand is well and truly done. 

Fantastic book. 

Couldn't put it down!

Im finding it really difficult to get into The Stand, and I am a huge SK fan. But for some reason, every time I try I just doesn't grab me in the way many other King books do.

On 23/08/2017 at 15:04, PeteBrant said:

Im finding it really difficult to get into The Stand, and I am a huge SK fan. But for some reason, every time I try I just doesn't grab me in the way many other King books do.

I think I might have enjoyed it more because I hadn't read a King book for around 20+ years! I think coming in from the cold (as it were) probably helped in this regard as I had very little to compare it with!

• 1 month later...

Not read any Stephen King since giving up partway through Wizard and Glass several years ago (sorry, I know a lot of people love it but I found it too slow-moving for my tastes). Was a massive King fan when I was younger and had much more time to read.

However, I have recently been getting into audiobooks as they just fit into my lifestyle much better than actual reading. Downloaded King's new one "Sleeping Beauties" which he co-authored with his son Owen. I have to say I am really enjoying it, had almost forgotten just how good a story teller King is and how well he draws you into his world. Difficult to say how much is his work and how much is his son's but it has all the hallmarks of classic King. At 25 hours it is also pretty long (I'm about halfway through) but the female narrator is excellent, I could listen to her talk forever! Definitely worth checking out for all the King fans on here.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:12, Vinz Clortho said:

I finished The Tommyknockers yesterday, it was a bit of a slog to be honest. The very last bit was nice though. There are still quite a few King books I still haven't read, including the classics like Salem's Lot and The Shining, but I'll get round to them soon enough.

I've not read everything by King by any means (I am not exactly a massive fan and I find a lot of his novel completely lacking* but I've read a fair amount and The Shining is an exceptional novel.

*he sets up the story brilliantly in most novels I've read and then seems to just stagger and struggle to end them as well as they started. The Cell made me want to throw the book out of the window it was that bad - up until half way through, it was fantastic.

Normally I read Stephen King's books as soon as they're released, but for some reason 11.22.63 passed me by until this week.  I have spent the week wrecked at work as I haven't been going to bed until the early hours, for me this is the pinnacle of his writing.  I have been so absorbed in this book and found it incredibly emotional at the end.  Before I start watching it, how does the TV show match up to it? I've read they changed the ending, which for me would be a major fuck up as the book really hits hard with that ending.

I'm about 70% through and enjoying Sleeping Beauties a great deal! It's the first King book I've really, really enjoyed since Under The Dome probably.

It has that easy King style - short sections, relatable characters, mini-cliffhangers and a weird, compelling plot that makes it almost impossible to put down. Though, I have to admit, I've not really noticed the influence of his son. To me, it just reads like a King story - perhaps a little tighter plotted and less rambling. Maybe their writing style runs in the family?

Kind of makes me want to read the last few years of books that I've skipped over, and maybe return to Mr Mercedes (which I abandoned halfway through!)

I'm a quarter through it, and often find myself wondering which parts came from who. But yeah, to me it's pretty impossible to discern. Wouldn't surprise me if their styles are very similar in general, and then collaborating like this blurs the lines even more.

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

I'm a quarter through it, and often find myself wondering which parts came from who. But yeah, to me it's pretty impossible to discern. Wouldn't surprise me if their styles are very similar in general, and then collaborating like this blurs the lines even more.

There’s quite a good interview at the end of the audiobook which describes the process of them working together, it really does sound like a genuine collaboration and a great blending of their individual styles.

As for the book itself, I preferred the first half to the second (I got a bit bogged down with the sudden influx of a load of new characters in part 2 which didn’t seem as well drawn as the characters in part 1), however it does reach a satisfying conclusion and overall a great read.

Any more feedback on Sleeping Beauties? Reviews of the book and audiobook are very variable, not helped by sexism controversy which make an average impression really hard. I also saw complaints levelled at the vast number of cast members, even more than Under the Dome. Is it worth me picking up the audiobook? FYI I loved Under the Dome, but felt that the Shining Sequel (forgot the name) was pretty average. 

I'm still reading, taking my time with it. It's true, the cast is huge, but so far I'm wrapping my head around it and there is a list of characters at the front which I sometimes go back to when I am unsure about someone.

In terms of sexism, I have no idea how this story will end so I can't judge that yet, but so far I actually think it's a good read exactly because sexism is being discussed at this level right now.