Extras

WesT

Well it starts next Thursday (21st July) and ive read a review claiming its AS good as the office, apparently the first episode features Ben Stiller.

Anyone heard anything about it, seen any clips etc?

Really looking foward to it.

Well it starts next Thursday (21st July) and ive read a review claiming its AS good as the office, apparently the first episode features Ben Stiller.

Anyone heard anything about it, seen any clips etc?

Really looking foward to it.

He talked about it with Jonathan Ross and as JP mentioned, they showed a clip with Kate Winslett. It sounds an interesting idea and I loved The Office but I fear it may be self-indulgent. We'll find out next week.

Aye, my first thoughts after reading about it were "sounds like it'll be a 'look at all my celebrity mates!'athon", kind of like the Little Britain Comic Relief special where none of the guests quite "get it".

I didn't realise this was coming around so soon.

I honestly believe you could stick Gervais in front of a camera with no one else and no script for half an hour and it would still be very funny.

Okay, maybe that's pushing it. But I'm prepared to believe the slight unfunniness of the clip shown on Jonathan Ross (that interview had me doubling over with laughter, btw) was all down to lack of context.

Which channel will it be on, by the way?

To be fair on Gervais, he's in dispute with the BBC over which channel this is shown on. He wants a low-key launch on BBC2. They are going for a big BBC1 showing with full promotion. I think he feels that The Office succeeded by building its audience through no expectations and good word of mouth.

Everyone will be watching this new show with high expectations which might be a bit unfair.

To be fair to the BBC, though, they paid Samuel L Jackson and Ben Stiller to be on their show. It's no wonder they want it in a prime slot on their premier channel.

I admire Gervais's integrity, though. I can totally see where he's coming from, and it's as you said.

To be fair on Gervais,  he's in dispute with the BBC over which channel this is shown on.  He wants a low-key launch on BBC2.  They are going for a big BBC1 showing with full promotion.    I think he feels that The Office succeeded by building its audience through no expectations and good word of mouth.

Everyone will be watching this new show with high expectations which might be a bit unfair.

I find it very strange how people are still talking about this, when it's been locked on BBC2 for months. Next Thursday at 9pm on BBC2. It never was going to be on BBC1.

I saw a clip of it between programme son BBC1 last night, it wasnt funny in the slightest. But as someone mentioned earlier, it was probably shown out of context, but,..

I would say 'colour me worried', but it seems to be a forum cliche at the moment.

I saw a clip of it between programme son BBC1 last night, it wasnt funny in the slightest. But as someone mentioned earlier, it was probably shown out of context, but,..

I would say 'colour me worried', but it seems to be a forum cliche at the moment.

Just after Horizon?

I'm worried :rolleyes:

But, i DO love Brent.

His appearance on Live 8, taking the piss out of the crowd was hilarious

He's not Brent and if you're going into extras with that mentality you're probably gonna be let down.

Even if Gervais' new character is like Brent, this is not The Office Part 2, which is inevitably going to lead to disappointment and criticism from many.

I have high enough hopes for it, but I expect it to be called the disappointing follow-up to The Office, which will probably happen regardless of the quality of the show.

Dont forget it starts tonight at 9pm.

Heard a radio clip with some dialogue between gervais and his agent.

Made me laugh, and kind of reminded me of the brent character (obviously the voice is going to be the same, but the delivery etc was familiar)

I can't wait. I saw a pretty decent clip on TV last night.

Gervais is hanging out with a bunch of extras, and they're comparing 'careers'.

Extra: So you haven't even been on The Bill?

Gervais: I don't want to go on The Bill.

Another extra: What about Casualty, have you been in Casualty?

Gervais: Yes...

Extra: Casualty the TV programme?

Gervais: ...no.

Well, it was funny when Gervais did it, anyway.

I'm also starting to appreciate the way it's been relatively unhyped. It doesn't feel like an 'Office follow-up', so my expectations are not sky high. I think there's a pretty good chance I'll be able to watch it with a clear head, and find it funny for what it is (if it is funny, of course...).