Extras

WesT

I can think of at least two quotes that cracked me up.

"oooooh, Nasdaq you twat!"

"Feels like flogging a dead horse, put a bit of your minge into it!"

Then followed by a face exactly like this: ;)

well that was miles better this week. I laughed quite alot.

Although i was surprised at how bad Vinnie Jones was at acting!

I think the only reason he can get any jobs is because he is a mean looking bastard!

Met him after Millwall - QPR in the players lounge and he oozes 'I can beat you up' pheremones.

Also, just remembered:

Ross Kemp: Do you know what SAS stands for?

Ricky Gervais: Special Air Service

RK (looking confused): Is it?

RG: Yeah.

RK: I'm sure it's not. It sounds like something like Fed Ex, a delivery service. No. I know what it means.

RG: What does it mean?

RK: Super Army Soldiers!

;)

*I know that wasn't the actual dialogue, but that is pretty much the jist.

Also, Stephen Merchant's RUBBER face! haha! All the silly faces he was making at Ricky and 'Barry'.

It was okay. The problem is the inconsistency of tone- on the one hand, you've got the naturalistic dialogue of Ricky Gervais when he's interacting with his fellow extras, which is obviously similar to The Office. On the other hand, you've got the wacky, slightly surreal stuff with Stephen Merchant, Barry from Eastenders, and Ross Kemp. The naturalistic, observational stuff is slow paced, with the comedy coming from the performances and the mounting sense of frustration and embarrassment, whereas the zany stuff is much more fast-paced and largely based on conventional jokes.

For me, those two styles don't gel at all. Although perhaps this is just a pretentious way of saying "I thought it was shit apart from the bits with Stephen Merchant and Barry from Eastenders". That bit was fucking hilarious though- it makes me wish that they'd made the sitcom about the agent, rather than about the actor. Moving swiftly back to the pretension, I'd conjecture that the humour in The Office came (partly) from the fact that most people can relate to that situation. Very few people can relate to the situation in Extras, which is why I think they should have gone for the wacky, conventional route, like the Stephen Merchant bit because you don't have to be able to relate to that to find it funny.

Also, the sub-plot with the girl trying to cop off with the actor was rubbish. Minutes and minutes of joke-free preamble, leading up to a weak punchline that didn't seem worth the effort.

Also, the sub-plot with the girl trying to cop off with the actor was rubbish. Minutes and minutes of joke-free preamble, leading up to a weak punchline that didn't seem worth the effort.

I was expecting a much funnier puch line to the whole seduction scene.

It didnt make me laugh as much as I think they wanted me to.

Great episode though.Loved the scene where the extras are berating Gervais about not being in The Bill or Casualty.

Next weeks looks a cracker as its the Kate Winslett episode.

Disappointing, like the first week Gervais shows he's really a one trick pony. This is David Brent, except the lines are shared across several characters. Thought the cameos were shit, Kemp totally unbelievable. The Scottish girl's the best thing in it, and she needs a slap too.

I was away from internet land when the two episodes were on, and I never got a chance to say:

THIS IS PISH.

I've not laughed once yet (I would probably have laughed at Kemp's "I headbutted a horse once," line had I not read about it in the paper beforehand).

Gutted. I'm like The Office's number one fan as well.

:unsure:

I watched a few episodes of The Office over the weekend.

Extras is nothing like it.

End.

Granted there's nobody in Extras on a par with the office staff who made that show so special but that bit in the last episode when Gervais is having that fraught conversation with his acting nemesis, that was *exactly* like the kind of conversations Brent would have with the Swindon branch boss.

I keep missing this when it's on TV, UKNova has come to my rescue though so I've finally been able to watch them. It's only two episodes in but from what I've seen, I like it. It's pretty well written and Gervais and the Scottish bird are very watchable. Ross Kemp in the last episode was a complete letdown though, very unrealistic.

I keep missing this when it's on TV, UKNova has come to my rescue though so I've finally been able to watch them. It's only two episodes in but from what I've seen, I like it. It's pretty well written and Gervais and the Scottish bird are very watchable. Ross Kemp in the last episode was a complete letdown though, very unrealistic.

o/\o on all accounts

Am I right in thinking this is a joint venture from the BBC and HBO? Will they even bother airing that episode in the States? They won't know who the hell Ross Kemp is, for a start. The funniest stuff (the Shaun Williamson bits, the Mitchell/Kemp brothers conversation) is also going to be completely lost on them.

Glad I'm not the only one who had this spoiled by Kemp. It's like he completely misjudged the show, forcing a pantomime "I can poke fun at myself" performance in the most painfully self-conscious way.

Enjoyed the rest of both episodes very much.

(Although this latest one, from IsoHunt, has a couple of holes in it. Are there better torrents of Episode 2 out there?)

I'm watching it again and I'm just starting to think this should have just been about David Brent... who tried to break into film after his 'fame' through The Office.

I'd prefer that anyway, cos at least that way you're not constantly saying, "Reminds me of David Brent, that bit!".

Loved Ep1, wasn't too keen on this. Didn't really like Kemp... acting like it was a spoof film or something. And it generally just didn't get me laughing that much.

Still, I keep the faith.

p/\o

The bits with Ross Kemp in were just shit. He made up for it at the end when he was taken down a peg, and Gervais was trying to cheer him up. But I didn't find it funny. It was just poor.

Thought it was great, like the last episode.

"Have you ever been in Casualty?

Yeah.

The show?

Well, no..."

Or something like that.  :ph34r:

And...

Your heart's not in this, is it? Although... one of your pubes is I see.

Nah, it's not a pube its a dog hair.

Oh it's alright, it's not a pube it's a dog hair everyone, I thought it was a pube... it's not, it's just a dog hair. If you ever do get a hair in there he'll just get it out with his big sausage fingers.