IGNORED

The Royal Tenembaums

emjay2kay

I doubt I'll be picking up the DVD. I'll get The Life Aqautic instead, me thinks.

Fine choice. The Life Aquatic simply just has more funny moments. I literally can hardly remember a scene from The Royal Tenembaums.

It was really good. But for a 'comedy' it had about 3 laughs all in all. Really good direction and camera work in this (reminded me a bit of Magnolia).

I thought it was way better than Rushmore, which I could only sit through 2/3 of.

I don't really see it as a comdey. It's more a bittersweet slice of eccentric life.

I did laugh when Glover's character fell into that hole though.

It just felt like a comedy, because of the lighthearted style of it all. And the fact that it starred Ben Stiller, Bill Murray and Luke Wilson.

I love films with narrators. Every film should have a narrator.

Preferably Alec Baldwin.

Or Morgan Freeman or Ed Norton.

SPOILERS

One thing about this film is that I was really surprised when Gene Hackman died at the end. I SO should have seen it coming, it was signposted throughout, but it still came as a total surprise.

And Stillers line "I've had a rough year, Dad" brought tears to these manly eyes.

Probably my favourite film ever. "Your mother was a terribly attractive woman" Haha!

And the end made me cry.

I didn't watch it last night, though. I watched Punch-Drunk Love, which is the weirdest film I've ever seen.

Yeah I don't see it as a comedy, but a quirky drama with funny moments. Most dramas have funny moments.

Quirky in that it's not entirely based in reality. The things that happen in it aren't far-fetched as such, but are certainly out there.

I've seen this film 12 times and everytime I watch it I laugh more and more. It's actually jam packed full of really funny lines but it's like Wes Anderson hid them, it's weird.

Richie: I wrote a suicide note.

Chas: You did?

Richie: Yeah, right after i regained conciousness.

Chas: Can we read it?

Richie: No.

Chas: Can you paraphrase it for us?

Richie: I don't think so.

Chas: Is it dark?

Richie: Of course it's dark. It's a suicide note.

Raleigh whispering into a tape recorder: Dudley suffers from a rare disorder combining symptoms of amnesia, dyslexia, and color-blindness, with a highly acute sense of hearing.

Dudley from 2 Rooms away: I'm not color blind, am I?

Raleigh: I'm afraid you are.

I love this film. Very funny, fantastic music, the characters are all great, fantastic performances from Owen Wilson (he's a brilliant actor, I think), Gene Hackman ('I'm dieing.' - 'Okay, I'm not dieing.' - 'No, I am dieing...') and Anjelica Huston.

But I do think you have to kind of buy into it. It's probably not completely wrong to say it's pretentious. It can be a little bit fey. From a certain point of view, the characters are over the top somewhat, and of course completely unrealistic. But to fault the film for this is kind of missing the point. It's an elaborate fantasy of the ideal family (but which has gone wrong).

Whenever I watch it, I can't help putting myself in the place of Eli Cash (the Owen Wilson character), when he says 'I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum'. It's full of this delicious sense of longing after a fantasy of life that doesn't quite exist as you imagine it. A bit like Richie falling in love with Margot. She is beautiful, and it's sort of allowed because she's his adopted sister, rather than real sister. But at the same time it can't quite work out as a normal love story, with a happy ending.

I think it's also about the fantasy life of childhood, and how you can be nostalgic for that as an adult. Almost all the characters (Royal, Richie, Margot, Eli, Chas - everyone except Etheline and Henry Sherman in fact) have completely failed to 'grow up'.

• 2 weeks later...