This Might Get Me Back Playing Halo 2 Online...

pretentious_helvetica

The most important thing (which they don't mention) is if they ban automatically after detecting modified content. Or do they just detect the modified content and then slowly wade through all the cheaters to make sure that they were actually cheating and then ban them all individually? Or even worse, if they just wait for people to get a certain amount of cheating feedback before even bothering to look for any evidence of cheating.

If it's not automatic - it's pointless. People will just set up new 2-month trial accounts and carry on cheating.

Finally. Its about time.

The most important thing (which they don't mention) is if they ban automatically after detecting modified content. Or do they just detect the modified content and then slowly wade through all the cheaters to make sure that they were actually cheating and then ban them all individually? Or even worse, if they just wait for people to get a certain amount of cheating feedback before even bothering to look for any evidence of cheating.

If it's not automatic - it's pointless. People will just set up new 2-month trial accounts and carry on cheating.

I get the feeling that the live thing will auto-ban, so feedback wont matter. What I fear the most is that the auto update might be modifiable, which might allow people to still mod.

For the lazy ones -

Autoupdate 4: Q&A

Tomorrow, Wednesday the 20th of July, we will release Autoupdate 4. This is a small file that updates your version of Halo 2 to address various issues. It only takes a moment to download the file, but it is required for continued play on Xbox Live. If you do not wish to download the file, that is your choice, however, you will not be able to play Halo 2 on the Live service.So you've been warned. Read on for lots of specific info.

Q: When does the Autoupdate go Live?

A: Tomorrow morning. At an undisclosed time.

Q: What is in this autoupdate?

A: Most of the stuff in this autoupdate is designed to fix cheating, security or minor, invisible bugs, but one thing you will notice right away, is that the Relic teleporter bug has been fixed, so you can no longer crouch jump to get through a locked teleporter. That's going to make team games a lot more palatable on one of the bigger, more complex maps in the game.

Q: Have you included any solutions to the cheating caused by players using modded Xbox systems and modded content?

A: Yes.

Q: What will happen to a player if his or her Xbox contains modded content?

A: You will be banned if you are detected playing our game with modified Halo 2 content.  Your ban will be from matchmaking, it will be permanent, and there will be no appeal process.

Q: Do Action Replay saves constitute modded content ?

A: Playing with ANY modified content online is a bannable offense. Custom game types, created or loaded using Action Replay or similar devices, and then played on Live are considered modified content.

Q: Does this mean softmods are bannable too?

A: Yes. Softmods – that is, a modification made to your content without using a hardware-modified Xbox – are bannable. Delete them.

Its going to be an automatic ban, almost certainly this is probably why it is only a matchmaking ban as opposed to a full live ban, they can probably do this easier and quicker hopefully than having to go through live which essentially isn't bungie's to control.

It's just a shame they can't make these updates invisible and keep them secret then the modders wouldn't have a clue it's going to happen and more of them would be banned.

Exactlly, even if these people are now forced not to modify, they are not the sort of people we want to have to come up against in matchmaking anyway.

But yeah, great news! Lets hope it works.

Nice one on the teleporter too.

If it's some minor scan do you think people with modded boxes could get a ban? I know a lot of people on here have LIVE modded xboxs

Only if you have modified content on there. If you dont have that, and you havent changed your harddrive then they will have no way of knowing.

everyone with their harddrives changed have already been banned. Like me back in the day!

I would be slightly worried if I was using the new maps downloaded from bit torrents sites, or if I had some modded maps on there.

Only if you have modified content on there.  If you dont have that, and you havent changed your harddrive then they will have no way of knowing.

everyone with their harddrives changed have already been banned.  Like me back in the day!

I would be slightly worried if I was using the new maps downloaded from bit torrents sites, or if I had some modded maps on there.

I was thinking if they are detecting softmods thats the same as having a dash on E: (or C: ?) If they scan for that, then...

I was thinking if they are detecting softmods thats the same as having a dash on E: (or C: ?) If they scan for that, then...

No, they mean people how have used the softmod method of getting hacked maps, etc onto their Xboxes not the softmod exploit itself.

Softmods – that is, a modification made to your content without using a hardware-modified Xbox – are bannable. Delete them.

There is still a chance they will be banning your account from matchmaking for signing in on a modified box, just to be safe. If they do you really can't have any complaints, even if you're not modding you still have a modded box.

Indeed. I would have no complaints, but it would be a bit shitty. I don't think Id be buying another Xbox to play matchmaking nor would I renew my Live subscription.

But thats me.

There is still a chance they will be banning your account from matchmaking for signing in on a modified box, just to be safe. If they do you really can't have any complaints, even if you're not modding you still have a modded box.

I dont think you could have any complaints. Lets face it, there would be no modding if no-one could use a modded or soft modded box on Live.

So in effect we are part of the proble, albeit we can be trusted not to abuse the situation.

It comes down to detectability though. If Bungie could detect modded boxes any better than MS, dont you think they too would be doing it? MS do not want you on a modded box any less than Bungie. More so in fact!

However Bungie can use Halo specific stuff to detect wether you are modding. this is why I say I would be slightly (although not overly) worried if I had map packs from bit torrent sites on my box, you never kinow, they might have some sort of signature on them. DEFINITELY delete any modded maps you might have on there before signing in tonight, like the dark headlong etc.

Indeed. I would have no complaints, but it would be a bit shitty. I don't think Id be buying another Xbox to play matchmaking nor would I renew my Live subscription.

But thats me.

Yeah, you say that! I lasted a day before I had to buy another one!

But then I guess 360 is quite close, so you can always play on that.

Anyway, you wont get banned. Just make sure you take the normal precautions and everything Bungie related which is yarred or modded is off of your harddrive.

I guess they could report you to MS, but it's not really Bungie's problem. They just want the cheaters.

Custard games are where its at

Can anyone clarify what bungie said about custom games? I read it as: "Even if you play modified maps in custom games, you will still be banned from matchmaking."

But if you can still play them in customs what's the point?

Calm down guys, like Syntax said, if there was a way of detecting a modded Xbox with the switch off Microsoft would have done it ages ago.

Bungie only mentioned 'softmodding' because it's another way of getting modded maps on your HD.

As for the downloaded maps signature thing you'd have had a message as soon as you tried to play them on Live.

At ease soldiers B)

ALTHOUGH, shoorly Hitch the new update potentially COULD have a new way of detecting the signature from downloaded maps, hence why you would not of been flagged by Bungie before.

I just think for the sake of 4.99 its maybe worth being ultra cautious.

That said, just check the bungie forums later, we will see the fallout and extent of the changes soon enough.