Resident Evil 5- 360/PS3

stellar12

Ah once more I find Resident Evil a fucking pile of shite.

How any of you people can enjoy this game is beyond me. The older ones had a shit control system as does this one.

Really? I had not thought your vision so limited :(

Been playing this extensively coop with a mate tonight. I have to say after the initial frustration of having to re familiarise myself with the shall we say unique Resi controls. I now cant wait for this to hit the shops. As someone said earlier, its like being reacquainted with an old friend. :(

;Edited for appalling grammar.

When she says "I OH YOU ONE."

Love it :(

Been playing this extensively coop with a mate tonight. I have to say after the initial frustration of having to re familiarised myself with the shall we unique Resi controls. I'm now cant wait for this to hit the shops. As someone said earlier, its like being reacquainted with an old friend. :(

Methinks many people will have a similar reaction.

I personally think you are all blinkered by your love of past versions.

You people actually enjoy this? You honestly don't think the character moves like he has weights on his feet and in his pocket? He moves his gun at the speed of a sloth even on the fastest setting.

Now played the same area about 10 times. Bored out of my fucking skull.

You can really tell you haven't played Resi 4. It was such a massive change that ensnared a massive new audience that proves your theory wrong. Resi 5 being so much more like 4 than the others, I can only assume you need refreshing on the old games.

You people actually enjoy this? You honestly don't think the character moves like he has weights on his feet and in his pocket? He moves his gun at the speed of a sloth even on the fastest setting.

Jesus you make yourself sound so jaded. Resident Evil is ace. The pacing, incredible. The game design, pretty tight. It's fun. It's game.

I realise it's Monday but come on.

I think you're looking back at RE 1/2/3 with rose tinted specs to be honest. 4 was a massive improvement in a bizarrely overrated series, and 5 doesn't seem to dissimilar to 4. Of course, it doesn't help if you think that's clunky and shite too.

RE3 was the only really shit one of the main series.

Nah, Resi Evil 3 was just as ace as any of the others, I especially liked the much more action vibe to it than any of the others. I used to have that game down to a fine art since I spent so long getting every single ending there was (the epilogue texts I think they were)

The only one I could call a disappointment from any of the games would be Resi Evil 0 and even then I enjoyed that a lot too.

I'm so tempted to start going through my Gamecube versions again...

Resi 3's setting just wasn't as interesting as the others, personally. Still great fun though. That's all ancient history now. 1999.

Back on track, Resi 5 really ups the gross, I'm impressed. Some of the head births are proper :(

I played through all 3 of the first ones recently and it's great to see the incremental progressions in each one. Of the original 3 the 3rd's the most similar to 4 and 5. Plenty of weaponry, also introduced the quick turn, auto-lock-on, as well as being able to go up and down stairs without pressing a button! Liked the little dodge they introduced in it as well. Best of all it introduced Mercenaries. Resi 3 is brilliant.

Replayed the 5 demo just now and it's all kinds of great. I have no problem with the controls, although being able to move forward slowly with your gun held up would be nice. Only thing I hope they really tweak is Sheva walking in front/too close to you.

Otherwise all seems to be well in the world of Resi.

Control Type A is perfect for me. I haven't played the demo since December or whenever it first came out, but I really can't wait for it. The demo has allowed me to completely get used to the controls and "train" for the main game and all and helped me to get over the intial dissapointment and replaced it with excitement for the final thing now.

I'm so glad I've played this demo, because now I know I won't be buying the full game.

I didn't like RE4 -- and people always say, "You're joking, right? Troll post." But it's the truth. I didn't get on with it. So I wondered if this would be better. If anything, it's worse.

At least the graphics are good. Full resolution for a change -- I'm sick of playing games that are upscaled 1024x612 or whatever. Lots of screen tearing though.

I just can't get past the control. It's still tank controls, after all this time! All the "survival horror" of these games comes from being a handicapped person who can't move properly. In a game where you need fast reflexes more than ever, he's still a fucking tank :( Aiming was very precise, but I got annoyed that headshots didn't take the enemies down, and shooting legs didn't make them fall down (like I recall from RE4). And the executioner and chainsaw guys were total bullet sponges that didn't ever die... are they invincible? Ammo was so scarce! I guess it's supposed to be, so that you're panicked and at the end of your tether.

Every time I failed it was because the bint died. I tried the first level (very very hard) three times, and the second level (easier) twice. She got killed every time.

What was the difficulty level of this demo? I definitely can't play the full game at this difficulty. I'm not a very good gamer -- I play games for fun and entertainment, and I'm too old to enjoy hardness now. This was too stressful for me.

I guess I just don't like Resident Evil games. As the breaking-up cliche goes: "It's not you, it's me." I'm sure these games are masterpieces, but I'm just not suited to them. If that means I'm not a "real" gamer, then whatever.

I'm so glad I've played this demo, because now I know I won't be buying the full game.

I didn't like RE4 -- and people always say, "You're joking, right? Troll post." But it's the truth. I didn't get on with it. So I wondered if this would be better. If anything, it's worse.

At least the graphics are good. Full resolution for a change -- I'm sick of playing games that are upscaled 1024x612 or whatever. Lots of screen tearing though.

I just can't get past the control. It's still tank controls, after all this time! All the "survival horror" of these games comes from being a handicapped person who can't move properly. In a game where you need fast reflexes more than ever, he's still a fucking tank :( Aiming was very precise, but I got annoyed that headshots didn't take the enemies down, and shooting legs didn't make them fall down (like I recall from RE4). And the executioner and chainsaw guys were total bullet sponges that didn't ever die... are they invincible? Ammo was so scarce! I guess it's supposed to be, so that you're panicked and at the end of your tether.

Every time I failed it was because the bint died. I tried the first level (very very hard) three times, and the second level (easier) twice. She got killed every time.

What was the difficulty level of this demo? I definitely can't play the full game at this difficulty. I'm not a very good gamer -- I play games for fun and entertainment, and I'm too old to enjoy hardness now. This was too stressful for me.

I guess I just don't like Resident Evil games. As the breaking-up cliche goes: "It's not you, it's me." I'm sure these games are masterpieces, but I'm just not suited to them. If that means I'm not a "real" gamer, then whatever.

I fully understand where you are coming from and agree with you.

His movement is what fucks me off the most. Compared to most modern games he feels so sluggish. I could turn a truck quicker than he can move.

I hate that you have to think about your AI partner's ammo as well as your own. And all I could think about when I boosted her up on the roof was; "Why can't I go up there instead of faffing about here on the ground?"

I really wish the developers could have gotten some better inspiration than Army of Two.

Well after having a total media blackout for this I downloaded the demo and have played through it a few times. My first impressions are a bit mixed. For reference my favourites in the series have always been 1,2 and 4. Resi 3 I thought was ok but was missing something that made the first 2 so special and I thought 0 and Code Veronica were the worst out of the bunch.

Im not sure why but I dont think Resi 5 will be half as good as 4. I dont know if its the Africa setting (which I dont think suits the series at all, but Im hoping it will grow on me) or if its the Gears of War like controls (in the end I turned it back to control option A which I thought was a huge improvement to the default controls). But it just doesnt feel right to me, Resi 4 was a revolution whereas this feels like Capcom trying to make Gear of War without the cover system and with sluggish controls. It doesnt help though that Im used to playing Resi 4 on the Wii which is maybe one of the reasons why its difficult to go back to playing it with twin sticks but the controls dont feel right at the moment. Also another thing that worries me about this is the absence of Shinji Mikami, every good resi evil has been one where he has been heavily involved and obviously after him leaving Capcom to go off to set up platinum games he has had no involvement at all with this one.

Still Resident Evil is one of my most favourite videogame franchises and this, along with SF4, are my most anticipated titles for 09 (well unless Nintendo announce a major title for this year that is) and I do still have hope that this will turn out to be good but im not expecting anything on the same level as Resi 4.

"resident evil 5 in "not as good as resident evil 4 "shocker"" It aint gonna beat it but from playing the demo it`ll be a hell of a lot of fun . I think a few people are missing the point with the controls. You were never supposed to have an easy time controlling your character it all adds to the tension and I`m sure was intentional here. They could have easily copied control methods from a dozen different games but it would have taken an age to adjust the enemies accordingly to retain any sense of boo factor.

"resident evil 5 in "not as good as resident evil 4 "shocker"" It aint gonna beat it but from playing the demo it`ll be a hell of a lot of fun . I think a few people are missing the point with the controls. You were never supposed to have an easy time controlling your character it all adds to the tension and I`m sure was intentional here. They could have easily copied control methods from a dozen different games but it would have taken an age to adjust the enemies accordingly to retain any sense of boo factor.

Or just copied the excellent Dead Space controls and left those dozen different games alone :(

I played through the 2 scenarios again last night, I still have my reservations.

I think the thing that annoyed me most is the Benny Hill style gameplay especially when fighting the chainsaw dude.

- Run and brush past enemies (the zombies rarely attack, even if you run straight through them)

- find safe spot some distance away

- quick turn & reload

- shoot at face for a bit

- maybe get in an uppercut

- run away again, rinse & repeat.

I swear I did ten laps of the building fighting that chainsaw fucker. I could hear the Benny Hill music paying in my head as I ran round & round & round. You are forced to play it like this as the enemies are bullet sponges and standing your ground is death. It didn't feel like an action game or survival horror game, more a running-away-sim.

The controls are spoiling the demo for me; they conspire to make the game too hard to be enjoyable. The fault may be mine for not getting it or for simply being a bit shit, but the end result is the same: I'm not having fun.

I can see me playing through the full game on easy first time round just so I can get the controls down, which means, because the easy version will be cut down, I'll miss loads and effectively be double punished by these horrid controls.

Aaaand... RE3 was frickin' awesome!

I love Resi', But this one is going to be amazing! me and Matt lav played this last night, the controls system are so much better, the fact that you can altar your controls is good but i like the new type D, which is basically every new shooting game on the 360's buttons, I am used to them so it was quite easy to play. I love the fact that this game is a bit like L4D in the sense that you need to rely on your buddy to help you sometimes.

Anyway if anyone wants to play with me tonight just add me today, GT in sig. I might not be free for long today, but when I am i will definatley post on the thread.