Resident Evil 5- 360/PS3

stellar12

Or just copied the excellent Dead Space controls and left those dozen different games alone :(

I stil think the controls make perfect sense. I like Dead Space a lot, but this game play very differently and that is no bad thing. Apart from the fact that the levels are much more open and you have more options at your disposal (from climbing roofs, to hurling yourself through windows or barricading doors and windows), I still feel less vulnerable in Resi than in Dead Space. Yes, you could walk and shoot, but I often stood still while shooting anyway in that game and I beat it on Hard.

But the much faster running speed in Resi, coupled with the quick turn and the devastating melee attacks (which were pretty much useless in Dead Space) still make me feel like a badass, even though it's a badass who can get ripped to shreds if he isn't careful. To me the balance seems right, as it so often is in Capcom games.

I have to try the single player option though, no idea if I'd like that as much as playing with a mate.

I tried it with D control set and it felt a bit better. But, damn, shooting people looks bad. It really could have used some Euphoria or even some good old fashioned rag-dolls. And they really should have been able to mix up the basic "zombies" this time. Being attacked by identical twins wearing the exact same outfit just takes me out of the game.

RE4 was exciting, scary and fun. This doesn't seem like any of those. My preorder stays, though, on the off chance that it's 1/10th as good as RE4.

This also annoyed me a bit but it seemed such a small thing to moan about. It is odd how they're still CTRL-C CTRL-V-ing the mobs.

The co-op thing is still bugging me, it's just so flavour of the month, crowbarred in, counter to the Resident Evil experience for me. Ashley was an annoyance in 4 but she wasn't there all the time. Bah.

"resident evil 5 in "not as good as resident evil 4 "shocker"" It aint gonna beat it but from playing the demo it`ll be a hell of a lot of fun . I think a few people are missing the point with the controls. You were never supposed to have an easy time controlling your character it all adds to the tension and I`m sure was intentional here. They could have easily copied control methods from a dozen different games but it would have taken an age to adjust the enemies accordingly to retain any sense of boo factor.

You know I'm not sold on a game that intentionally makes the controls shit and the character clunk - just to add to the tension.

Oh God Phelan, where to start?

It feels like the character is wallowing in treacle constantly

Hold 'A' to run. It's the new "Press 'B' to run".

the aiming is slow and useless

Put aiming speed to "fastest". I can hit pretty much what I want to now, so I'm afraid if you're still struggling then it's you who is slow and useless. That said, which stick are you using? Perhaps try one of the other control types? Type A switches to aiming on the left stick. Also, you can flick the right stick in a direction, then hit aim to quickly adjust your aiming direction. So if you want to quickly aim 90 degrees to your right, flick the right stick, hit aim, and you'll be aiming to your immediate right.

with head shots failing to take out the targets

With the early version of the handgun, only a few headshots will take off the head. Later you should be able to upgrade and you'll find you get an exploding head with every shot. In the meantime, do a headshot, and run in and punch them while they're stunned. Occasionally you'll punch their heads clean off.

your partner is inept

Maybe. An understandable criticism anyway. But she doesn't normally get herself killed, and she's taken out people just as I've heard that awful "Click...click" as my gun runs out of ammo, so she can occasionally be a godsend.

the ammo sparse
Nonsense. There's loads of it. Have a good look around, slash stuff with your knife (barrels, crates, piles of fruit etc). If you're still struggling, go into the inventory screen, hit RB and nick some stuff off Sheva. In the 2nd area you can nick her SMG!
enemies you can unload six shotgun shells into who don't die
Assuming you mean the bosses, well...they're superhuman innit!
and an equip section that takes ages especially when you are being attacked.

Assign 4 items to the d-pad for insta-win.

I shall persevere but having failed to enjoy RE 1/2/3 then I doubt I will enjoy this.

You'd better persevere, but I note you don't include 4 in that list. 4 and 5 are nothing like 1, 2 and 3. Don't become my new "project" Phelan, Sprite Machine still bears the mental scars. :(

So much fucking moaning in this thread.

I'm not really moaning, I'm just disappointed to find that after Dead Space I can't go back to the clunky and archaic Resi 5 even though I loved Resi 4. Apart from the controls, another problem is that everything else seems far inferior to Resi 4, the atmosphere is completely gone and the few set-pieces in the demo are crap compared to every single set-piece in 4. The village at the start of 4 worked far better imo. In fact, apart from the controls my biggest problem is probably that it doesn't feel like a proper Resi 5, but more like a Resi 4 clone from a company like Midway that doesn't quite get what made Resi 4 so good. Wasn't this made by a different team or something? I remember reading something like that, might explain it.

Okay, that does sound a bit like moaning. I will stop now, I'll just skip Resi 5 and wait for part 6. It'll be the first ever Resi game that I skip, but with games like SF4 and Riddick next month, I really don't have time or money to waste on marmite games.

Wasn't this made by a different team or something? I remember reading something like that, might explain it.

I think not. Apart from Mikami, most of the team is the same I believe. To be honest, it's hard to judge a full game on just a demo (see also Dead Space).

I really liked what I played, but only the full game can tell whether or not it's variety and set-pieces live up to part 4. They might not, but I still think it'll be a great action game.

I think part of the problem is that the RE4 controls were built from the ground-up for the Gamecube controller, while here it feels as though they've just hastily grafted that to the Xbox/PS3 setup without the same level of care.

That and the fact that you have an annoying AI div following you around.

I think not. Apart from Mikami, most of the team is the same I believe. To be honest, it's hard to judge a full game on just a demo (see also Dead Space).

I really liked what I played, but only the full game can tell whether or not it's variety and set-pieces live up to part 4. They might not, but I still think it'll be a great action game.

It's just imho, but the setting really doesn't work for me as a Resi game. You're completely right of course, about only the full game being able to tell whether the variety and set-pieces live up to 4 - but with Resi 4 I was immediately sold after playing only the village. That the game got even more brilliant later on was a very welcome bonus. I'll keep checking this thread once the game is out, but based on the demo I'm not paying full price for it.

I think part of the problem is that the RE4 controls were built from the ground-up for the Gamecube controller, while here it feels as though they've just hastily grafted that to the Xbox/PS3 setup without the same level of care.

I have to agree with that, the Gamecube controller worked so much better for this type of game.

I think you're looking back at RE 1/2/3 with rose tinted specs to be honest.

Nah. Swap 1 with the REmake, and you've got three great games.

I don't give a fuck how popular RE4 is, those games were brilliant.

Anyway, as for this, the hyerbolic complaints about Sheva's AI are really quite irritating. Do people lack any sense of proportion at all?

Bugger, what to do. I've been waiting to pick up a cheap copy of Dead Space but now I'm thinking that I might wait until after RE5, after so much comparison on what got right and RE5 gets wrong. Hmmm.

Does anyknow know what difficulty level the demo is set to?

Bugger, what to do. I've been waiting to pick up a cheap copy of Dead Space but now I'm thinking that I might wait until after RE5, after so much comparison on what got right and RE5 gets wrong. Hmmm.

Does anyknow know what difficulty level the demo is set to?

Get Dead Space regardless. It's a game Capcom should be paying attention to.

Buy it. Now.

Played through again and seemed to gel a little more...just can't shake the feeling that it feels awkward now after playing DS. The enemy pattern of spurt and shamble looks a little contrived now - if I could move and shoot, you probably wouldn't need to have this.

Still, from what I've played, DS has taken a step forward from this.

I don't think Japanese pay attention to anything from the West. And even if they do, it will never make it in their game, just in some interview "yeah, we think Gears is a good game and does lots of things right". That is as far as they will go, even Capcom which is quite a "westernised" publisher.

I don't know what is really the problem with the controls. I mean, sure, they feel archaic but they posed no problem in RE4. Are people shouting about them because they don't work or because Dead Space showed that it's time to move on?

I think the problem I am having with it is that it is very similar to Resi 4, but different enough to make it awkward. By that I mean that the initial familiarity is there, but its slightly jarring as everything just feels slightly different so throws you a bit.

It doesnt help that my last playthrough of Resi 4 was on the wii so I had probably forgotten about how annoyingly slow the aiming could feel.

I will still get the game, but Im not as hyped about it as I was when those original screen shots surfaced all that time ago.

I think the problem I am having with it is that it is very similar to Resi 4, but different enough to make it awkward. By that I mean that the initial familiarity is there, but its slightly jarring as everything just feels slightly different so throws you a bit.

It doesnt help that my last playthrough of Resi 4 was on the wii so I had probably forgotten about how annoyingly slow the aiming could feel.

I will still get the game, but Im not as hyped about it as I was when those original screen shots surfaced all that time ago.

I don't know. When I first played RE4 and saw the shift to more action oriented gameplay with the sluggish controls it felt a bit weird too. After I got used to them there was no problem with aiming and the same applies to RE5.

I also can't understand how "everything feels slightly different". I would say that the biggest disappointment for me would have to be that the game seems a copy/cut RE4 job and does not bring anything new to the table as far as mechanics go, at least as the demo shows. On the other hand we've waiting 4 games and some remakes to see a change to the RE formula that it's not really illogical for Capcom not to stray far from the RE4 design.

Adding co-op is a major, major, plus for the game and if it works we will have an experience that could be revolutionary for the genre (maybe it will make Capcom get back to Resi online again, who knows? :P ). If they offer more or less the same exciting set pieces and variety of the first game, I don't know how the controls will mess it up since they are built exclusively on this gameplay design.

I am not saying that they shouldn't be changed, I just think that they work fine in the context of the game. Besides, I think we will only see some major changes in the game again when Mikami is back at the helm.

I only had a very quick go on one scenario last night, but I thought it was absolute bobbins. The shanty town level was just a horrible mass of brown, with identikit brown buildings confusingly branching off in a brown manner; it didn’t help that the graphics had an unpleasant flickering quality about them, either. It had absolutely no atmosphere, either – no sense of place, pace, or any kind of tension. I guess it’s tricky to gauge this in a demo, as you’re playing part of the game completely out of context, but it didn’t want to make me play any more.

The whole thing just seemed incredibly rough – the AI was fucking dreadful, with whatserface wobbling around me like a hallucination while enemies walk round in circles rather than attack – and the fight sequences seemed poorly designed. Compare the appearance of the chainsaw guy in this with the doctor fellow in RE4. In the latter, the chainsaw boss appears midway through the village siege – one of the more freeform levels, where you take on the horde while moving from building to building, from floor to floor and from roof to roof. The possibilities for fighting him are endless. In RE5, the guy appears right in front of you in a tight corridor, soaks up millions of bullets, and then chainsaws you to death (or, more annoyingly, chainsaws your bird). I just didn’t find it as exciting or inspiring as the bit in RE4, and I don’t have much desire to try again.

Also, not being able to move with your gun up is archaic.