Resident Evil 5- 360/PS3

stellar12

it didn’t help that the graphics had an unpleasant flickering quality about them, either.

I think you're referring to the screen tearing. It's pretty bad, but as Squirtle posted earlier, setting your 360 to 1280 x 720 cures it, at least over VGA.

As for the rest, all I can say is that I think you'll get used to it after more than just "a very quick go". The atmosphere and so on is hard to guage fully over the course of a demo, but I like it well enough so far. I will agree that the village in RE4 is a more inspiring initial location though.

Tears like a motherfucker alright. I also found the field of view way too tight and claustrophobic. I think it's intentional but I don't like it. The two scenarios in the demo aren't really selling it to me. When in the first scenario the cut scene ended with the zombies rushing the house I braced myself for a zombie onslaught - instead they just sort of milled about, ignoring me and my partner to climb ladders. Very anti-climatic.

I don't know. When I first played RE4 and saw the shift to more action oriented gameplay with the sluggish controls it felt a bit weird too. After I got used to them there was no problem with aiming and the same applies to RE5.

I also can't understand how "everything feels slightly different". I would say that the biggest disappointment for me would have to be that the game seems a copy/cut RE4 job and does not bring anything new to the table as far as mechanics go, at least as the demo shows. On the other hand we've waiting 4 games and some remakes to see a change to the RE formula that it's not really illogical for Capcom not to stray far from the RE4 design.

Adding co-op is a major, major, plus for the game and if it works we will have an experience that could be revolutionary for the genre (maybe it will make Capcom get back to Resi online again, who knows? :P ). If they offer more or less the same exciting set pieces and variety of the first game, I don't know how the controls will mess it up since they are built exclusively on this gameplay design.

I am not saying that they shouldn't be changed, I just think that they work fine in the context of the game. Besides, I think we will only see some major changes in the game again when Mikami is back at the helm.

I mean the general feel of the controls and also the shift to a new pad layout. It follows the same basic principals as RE4 in terms of control, but they havent nailed it exactly and therefore feels a bit odd. If it was a totally new control scheme I would learn it no problem, but my mind is still telling me this is RE4, but what is happening on screen doesnt quite add up to what I expect it should.

Nah. Swap 1 with the REmake, and you've got three great games.

I don't give a fuck how popular RE4 is, those games were brilliant.

Anyway, as for this, the hyerbolic complaints about Sheva's AI are really quite irritating. Do people lack any sense of proportion at all?

Code: Veronica is so much better than all of those it's not even funny.

Can never understand why they didn't make that a numbered instalment. People look at it as a sidestory now; when actually, Nemesis is far more of one.

I mean the general feel of the controls and also the shift to a new pad layout. It follows the same basic principals as RE4 in terms of control, but they havent nailed it exactly and therefore feels a bit odd. If it was a totally new control scheme I would learn it no problem, but my mind is still telling me this is RE4, but what is happening on screen doesnt quite add up to what I expect it should.

Ah, I get it now. Strangely I haven't felt this and I am massive RE4 fan. I'll play the demo some more.

You know what the problem is with the controls: X and A are the wrong way round. In this, you hold A to run faster and aim and A to reload. In RE4 you hold B to run and aim and B to reload. They've swapped them for some reason that i can't figure out.

I find it odd that people argue that you need cumbersome controls to add "tension" when throughout the entirety of the game you're going to be accompanied by a walking talking tension breaker.

Why is she a "talking tension breaker"? Do you think that amidst the chaos and terror she will be doing folklore dances and telling jokes? :P

Why is she a "talking tension breaker"? Do you think that amidst the chaos and terror she will be doing folklore dances and telling jokes? :P

Hearing her make the same crap soundbite multiple times in succession whenever you do a certain action is immersion city baby!

Watching her stand perfectly still like a plank as a chainsaw bloke slowly ambled up to her and sawed her head off didn't particularly help the ambience either.

Hearing her make the same crap soundbite multiple times in succession whenever you do a certain action is immersion city baby!

This is true. :P

Watching her stand perfectly still like a plank as a chainsaw bloke slowly ambled up to her and sawed her head off didn't particularly help the ambience either.

I am sure she will be much improved until release. Just like the tearing in the graphics.

Nor did her standing on the first building in shanty town walking against an invisible wall going "uh..uh..uh" until I called her back.

I'll force myself back into the control scheme, as I love these games - but I can't help being disappointed with it so far.

I haven't played the demo, but all you guys going on about "her" ruining "the tension" and longing for the "lonliness" of "RE4"...

What about Ashley? She was occasionally annoying, getting in the way, standing still ready to die... BUT "the tension" was still there. She didn't ruin the atmosphere.

So maybe its more the locale itself than the addition of a second player. Foggy woods evoke decades of horror films. Shanty towns saturated with sunlight don't. I think its just the new locations.

I haven't played the demo, but all you guys going on about "her" ruining "the tension" and longing for the "lonliness" of "RE4"...

What about Ashley? She was occasionally annoying, getting in the way, standing still ready to die... BUT "the tension" was still there. She didn't ruin the atmosphere.

I think the important fact with Ashley was that you could throw her in a skip.

So maybe its more the locale itself than the addition of a second player. Foggy woods evoke decades of horror films. Shanty towns saturated with sunlight don't. I think its just the new locations.

You're on your own for a large part of RE4, though - you can get on with exploring and not having to bother with a tagalong inventory item.

It's hilarious how the majority of people are dismissing the game based on a short demo that offers about 20 minutes of gameplay.

Definitely. I mean who on earth expects a demo to the job of selling a game pre-release by giving as favourable an impression as it can?

I do think if Dead Space had come out a year or so ago then we might see some of its influence on Resi 5, with the developers feeling more confident in allowing you more freedom of movement, as it stands I think the build of the game is made around these controls, and was probably too late to add in any adjustments.

However I do emphasise that this control scheme worked perfectly with resi4, and Im sure given some time with the finished product of 5 they will work for this too.

IIRC, a few people on here said the Dead Space demo was god-awful.

I want to give the demo a few more hours but on the hand I also feel like waiting for the full release. It's only about six weeks away..But a bit of practice juggling the inventory system and getting used to partnering combat might ease me into the full game.

I wish Capcom could ship the demo with a few hours of free time! :P

I do like the look of that oil rig/storm section for certain.

It's hilarious how the majority of people are dismissing the game based on a short demo that offers about 20 minutes of gameplay. Of course there will be different fucking locations.

except - the first 20 minutes of RE4 were/are absoloutely amazing...

people are comparing it to that.

It's hilarious how the majority of people are dismissing the game based on a short demo that offers about 20 minutes of gameplay. Of course there will be different fucking locations.

Thing is, I remember playing the short demo of RE4 that came on a mini disc about a month before it came out and it blew me away with its control scheme and new look.

The demo I played yesterday did the opposite - felt like I was steering a tank again. It's the same system, but it's been surpassed. You can now play a tense, scary game that feels like you're controlling a person. Won't change now, as the whole thing would probably collapse and I'll get used to it again - just a shame, really.

Well I hated Resi 4 at first, and its probably my fave game ever now.

Just listening to Major Nelson and one of the Devs is on there, they are really selling this is a co-op experience, so I think I might try and just play right through with a mate, which should remove any AI issues (stupid mate problems aside)

They are selling it as co-op to sell LIVE subscriptions...