Resident Evil 5- 360/PS3

stellar12

I really don't get why you're so firmly in the "People who see casual racism in this are hysterical idiots" camp. I really don't.

I couldn't give a fuck less, i've explained my position N times.

Casual racism?

''I don't think the game is racist'' - Dan White.

I read somewhere that, at the end of the game, after you’ve killed hundreds of Africans, Sheva turns to Chris and says “Well, it looks like we stopped the virus from spreading” and Chris says “What virus?”.

I like to think I am pretty sensitive to subjects like Racism, but I'm not sure that had I played the original version of the game that created all of the who har in the first place that I would have associated Racism with it. At least not the two sections from the demo before they were changed.

Whether this is because, as a gamer, you spend an awful lot of time shooting at 3D models that represent Nazi's, Japanese etc, you become desensitized to it I don't know.

Different cultures are, to a lesser or greater degree, sensitive to things like this. The argument that Resi 4 portrayed Spanish in the way it did doesn't really hold up though as generally your average Spanish peasant wasn't persecuted in the same way (unless it was by their own leaders).

comrade what is your exact IQ

The IQ is an ineffective measurement of someones intelligence. However anyone thinking the game is racist from their own interpretation of events that aren't shown, should really take a look at their self. The best arguments for this are in the multiple blogs and editorial articles on websites kindly asking that white people don't get offended on their behalf.

It's also unfair of Comrade to complain about what he thinks is a suggested rape scene. There's no denying the facts that African countries have the highest number of reported rape cases in the world, I think South Africa is leading the way in that particular field. So to feature a, once again in your imagination, rape scene in a game set in a country where it is a real issue is not being particularity racist. It would be more racist to gloss over these issues and paint the picture of Africa as a paradise land.

Perhaps this is all a cunning ploy to bring world attention to the horrific circumstances many face in certain areas of that continent. Hell that's as likely a theory as they're trying to be edgy and provocative to simply garner attention.

Could you direct me to that?

Is it a case of reading into it, as with the whole example of the scary Africans?

Later on, there's a cut-scene of a white blonde woman being dragged off, screaming, by black men. When you attempt to rescue her, she's been turned and must be killed. If this has any relevance to the story it's not apparent in the first three chapters, and it plays so blatantly into the old clichés of the dangerous "dark continent" and the primitive lust of its inhabitants that you'd swear the game was written in the 1920s.

Could Mr Whitehead be reading stuff into it that isn't there? Sure. It's possible. I said as much - my worries are entirely predicated on the possibility that Dan is being accurate. But the issue is that you seem to be pretty damn sure that he definitely is overreacting despite the fact that he's played the game and you haven't. Or are you saying that there's no possible way that a scene in which a group of black men drag a blonde woman off, screaming, and then corrupt her could possibly be played out in a racist manner? Because that would be quite a claim.

The IQ is an ineffective measurement of someones intelligence. However anyone thinking the game is racist from their own interpretation of events that aren't shown, should really take a look at their self. The best arguments for this are in the multiple blogs and editorial articles on websites kindly asking that white people don't get offended on their behalf.

It's also unfair of Comrade to complain about what he thinks is a suggested rape scene. There's no denying the facts that African countries have the highest number of reported rape cases in the world, I think South Africa is leading the way in that particular field. So to feature a, once again in your imagination, rape scene in a game set in a country where it is a real issue is not being particularity racist. It would be more racist to gloss over these issues and paint the picture of Africa as a paradise land.

Perhaps this is all a cunning ploy to bring world attention to the horrific circumstances many face in certain areas of that continent. Hell that's as likely a theory as they're trying to be edgy and provocative to simply garner attention.

Isn't the issue that its a blond white woman? It does hark back to a 20's style of thinking.

One of the worst (in fact probably actually the worst) racist stereotypes of black and African men is that they are dangerously sexual, and that given the chance they would gleefully rape and corrupt our pure, white women. Reportedly, Resident Evil 5 includes a scene where some African men drag a blonde, white woman to a hideyhole where they "corrupt" her with a virus (making her "one of them") and it's implied do god knows what to her first.

See, immediately that's an exaggeration. There's no implication at all. They drag the woman off, you hear her scream, and then five seconds later she's trying to rip your face off because she's all Plaga-ed up.

The stuff at the beginning of the game is a problem because it (reportedly) shows the African villagers as sinister and menacing even before they are infected. The implication being that Africans are inherently sinister and menacing.

They're all infected, though. The infection has taken hold of the entire village before you get there. They just don't attack you immediately (perhaps because they're not told to by the guy with the megaphone).

(I wish some journo would grow some balls and pull the curtain on this - it's obviously an exceptional situation outside of the usual PR bollocks).

Tempting. If I'd been offended by it, I might have said something by now. It is interesting that it's been embargoed, because the race issue is an entirely plausible reason why it's being kept under wraps.

Saying "oh, they're all infected with a parasite that happens to make them act like giant racial charicatures!" is a rubbish excuse.

They're not acting like giant racial caricatures, they're acting like people who've been infected with a parasite who are trying to kill you. The fact that you've got huge fucking creatures bursting from the necks of some of them is presumably another racial caricature, is it? Because from a certain angle and if you squint a bit it might look a bit like an afro?

But I remember that when all this controversy started I tried to think of what this game would be like if it actually was balls-to-the-wall unashamedly racist, and the difference between that theoretical game and the real RE5 seems to be getting worryingly small.

I genuinely think it's a case of someone reading a little too much into something. I do think some of this is - post-trailer, and after N'Gai Croal's dissection of said imagery - looking for something that wasn't ever in the minds of the developers.

I'm willing to accept it's possible that some of the imagery was used to make people feel more uncomfortable, but I think the developers would probably be shocked at the accusations of racism.

Apparently if you finish the game fast enough you unlock a gun that makes all the black zombies sing and dance like Al Jolson, but if you look at the gun in your inventory and rotate it so you can see the bottom, there's a little label that says "This gun was invented by Nelson Mandela so it can't be a racist gun OK?".

;) Joking aside, I presume you're with Comrade, then, MID?

I genuinely think it's a case of someone reading a little too much into something. I do think some of this is - post-trailer, and after N'Gai Croal's dissection of said imagery - looking for something that wasn't ever in the minds of the developers.

What do you mean by that, exactly? Many people are looking at it and coming to similar conclusions; that isn't a co-incidence. Perhaps the same people pay attention to things a bit more? Or maybe they're not of the mindset of the person that thinks 'it's just a game' and give little Jimmy a copy of GTA for being a good boy, wilfully ignorant that's it's not really intended for his age group.

Isn't the issue that its a blond white woman? It does hark back to a 20's style of thinking.

So it would be ok if they were raping a black woman? WTF? Why does it matter what colour a woman being raped is? Any kind of rape is deplorable, irregardless of race.

Besides, there is no rape in the damn game, only what people who are actively looking for some controversy are misconstruing as rape. God sake, they added white and chinese people in the game so you can shoot the crap out of people without feeling bad. You people will never be happy.

;) Joking aside, I presume you're with Comrade, then, MID?

I'm not making any great statements to be "with", Canton. I only had Dan Whitehead's statements to go on, you hadn't refuted any of them until your post just now. You just made general claims about Capcom being "naive". At no time have I said unilaterally that RE5 is racist. I have merely voiced my concerns based on reports. I will of course make my own judgment when the evidence is available. However, I think that many on here (and the internet in general) are too quick to dismiss any accusations of racism largely I think because they don't want to have anything get in the way of playing a game they're looking forward to (as well as many other reasons which I've already mentioned).