Resident Evil 5- 360/PS3

stellar12

Well I've just been playing the demo, and I'm massively relieved to be loving it. Bizarrely, It's not the stick aiming per se that I'm struggling with, more the fact that I would dearly like to be able to aim with the left stick like in the GC version. I'm not being blind and missing the option to switch in the menu am I? I get numbness in my right hand when I use the 360's right stick these days (yeah, I should go to the doc's), so being able to switch sides would "cure" that.

But yeah, it's awesome. I haven't managed to kill either of the big baddies yet, so it's giving me the same panicked feeling I used to get when I didn't know RE4 like the back of my hand. Graphics are awesome, screen tearing aside. No problem with the Type B controls, other than that I'd prefer to use the left stick.

Sheva is a bit annoying though. It's not so much what she does in the fights as what she does when you're exploring, i.e stand right next to you. I looked for a "wait" command, but couldn't find one. Actually, it's quite useful that she hoovers up stuff, as you can just nab it off her in a quiet moment.

So far "Reassuringly ace" out of 10. :wub:

In all seriousness, i'm not a fan of the forced co-op. For me it is that simple frustration factor of death due to AI.

That's what I found. I've got no problem with having a partner following unobtrusively, Dom in Gears is a good example of this, but almost constantly having Sheva in view stuttering about is quite rubbish and hampers the sense of exploration and atmosphere.

I'll trust that the developers know what they're doing until I play the full game as Resi's never let me down before. But the demo didn't give me much renewed confidence.

Well I've just been playing the demo, and I'm massively relieved to be loving it. Bizarrely, It's not the stick aiming per se that I'm missing, more the fact that I would dearly like to be able to aim with the left stick like in the GC version. I'm not being blind and missing the option to switch in the menu am I? I get numbness in my right hand when I use the 360's right stick these days (yeah, I should go to the doc's), so being able to switch sides would "cure" that

Did you change the controls to make it more like Resi 4's? (aim with the right trigger and fire with X)

I agree with you on the sticks swapping thing too- didn't seem possible when I played the japanese demo.

That's what I found. I've got no problem with having a partner following unobtrusively, Dom in Gears is a good example of this, but almost constantly having Sheva in view stuttering about is quite rubbish and hampers the sense of exploration and atmosphere.

I'll trust that the developers know what they're doing until I play the full game as Resi's never let me down before. But the demo didn't give me much renewed confidence.

I'm hoping they'll fix that, the dizzy cow keeps getting under my feet.

Did you change the controls to make it more like Resi 4's? (aim with the right trigger and fire with X)

I agree with you on the sticks swapping thing too- didn't seem possible when I played the japanese demo.

Well yes, I did change the controls to Type B for that reason but I didn't choose the one that lets you fire with X. If it was A, then I might, but firing on the trigger feels right anyway. I do wish the door opening etc was still on A though.

I'm already getting really quite good at aiming. I hit 3 headshots in a row earlier, which of course triggered the same three phrases in a row from Sheva... :wub:

EDIT: Scratch all of that. I didn't realise that Type A automatically swaps the sticks over. Bliss!

Well yes, I did change the controls to Type B for that reason buy I didn't choose the one that lets you fire with X. If it was A, then I might, but firing on the trigger feels right anyway. I do wish the door opening etc was still on A though.

I'm already getting really quite good at aiming. I hit 3 headshots in a row earlier, which of course triggered the same three phrases in a row from Sheva... :wub:

EDIT: Scratch all of that. I didn't realise that Type A automatically swaps the sticks over. Bliss!

Doh! I'll try out type A

Jesus wept. This AI character is hopeless. That's right luv, run up to the man with the chainsaw. You fucking tool. The game is going to fall apart on how clever the AI is, so far it makes Dom look like Steven Hawking.

You haven't played with my GF she was worse than the AI. And that's with being able to tell her what to do.

Jesus wept. This AI character is hopeless. That's right luv, run up to the man with the chainsaw. You fucking tool. The game is going to fall apart on how clever the AI is, so far it makes Dom look like Steven Hawking.

See, you say that, and I sort of agree, but she never caused me any actual problems when playing. I've played the demo through about 15 times now, and not once has she got herself killed. So yeah, sometimes I'll be heading over to a green herb and she'll run in and grab it, and sure she sometimes spoils my aim, but I guess we're stuck with her now so I for one am going to try and enjoy it despite her presence. I don't think she'll make the game "fall apart".

Played the demo there with a friend and... I'm not sure about it. Something seemed off.

Maybe it's just a question of playing the full gamne and being eased in and getting used to the controls again. The dead space demo was awful, for this reason, but the full game is lovely.

Well, it's pretty much like RE4, but it feels so "cramped". The environment should be larger to accomodate 2 players. The moment the shit with the chainsaw made his appearance, I just went: "Yeah this is gonna be a laugh, running around pillars and tiny rooms with this fucker on my heels".

They better be holding back some amazing stuff,this co-op stuff is a serious mistake, I fear.

wow. i was really dissapointed with this demo, and i love RE4 to death.

the graphics are amazing though, but the animation's shite - most of the animations are straight from 4!

the weapons seemed to lack that POW factor that made the shotgun in 4 such a joy to wield.

i cannot stand the forced co-op, this is supposed to be a scary or at least atmospheric horror experience. The woods in Resi 4 has this in spades, this looks like bloody Far Cry 2 meets Gears of War.

The HUD has so many bloody pop ups, where's the immersion? not to mention the controls seem very laborous, now i may have been spoilt by Dead Space, but i cannot remember 4 being so awkward to play.

i am hoping this is just a poorly planned demo and tweaked for the final release., but to be honest i am looking forward to FEAR2 and Silent Hill for my horror fix.

Well, it's pretty much like RE4, but it feels so "cramped". The environment should be larger to accomodate 2 players. The moment the shit with the chainsaw made his appearance, I just went: "Yeah this is gonna be a laugh, running around pillars and tiny rooms with this fucker on my heels".

They better be holding back some amazing stuff,this co-op stuff is a serious mistake, I fear.

I think cramped is the right word. I didn't feel engaged at all, unlike 4, instead I was clattering around the small area with no idea of where the chainsaw bloke was. In 4 you could tell by the sound of his revs exactly where he was, but I don't think that is the case here, is it?

Still hopeful though.

I think cramped is the right word. I didn't feel engaged at all, unlike 4, instead I was clattering around the small area with no idea of where the chainsaw bloke was. In 4 you could tell by the sound of his revs exactly where he was, but I don't think that is the case here, is it?

Still hopeful though.

That's how I felt at first, but after a few goes I now know the areas like the back of my hand, and am starting to take the piss out of the enemies a bit more.

I can see myself being out on my own with this, but I'm dead excited about the full game now. I can understand where some of the disappointment is coming from, but I still think this is exceptional gaming. Type A controls really help by the way, I recommend giving them a go.

Oh, and there was one moment of pure awe for me on the first map. I climbed up to the highest point, and looked down to see the whole shanty town spread out before me, and the Hammer dude running up the road to my position. Gulp.

Talking of which, anyone managed to off him yet? I killed the chainsaw dude, but I can't kill MC Hammer before the chopper arrives on the first map.

Dear god! The controls on this are even worse than I expected. I mean come on!!! Its laughably bad. Why cant I aim my gun and walk at the same time? That's a given these days, surely! Also is anyone experiencing large amounts of screen tearing?

You've never played RE4? Even those (like me) who wanted more controls than RE4 had never really wanted to be able to move and aim/shoot at the same time, only to be able to sidestep in between aiming. You wouldn't want it to be like every other 3rd person action game out there, would you?

Dear god! The controls on this are even worse than I expected. I mean come on!!! Its laughably bad. Why cant I aim my gun and walk at the same time?

Because you're not meant to be able to. Play the game, and you'll understand why.

I used to argue til I was blue in the face that the controls suited Resi 4 but since Dead Space proved you didn't have to be deliberately awkward and clumsy to be tense and scary I just find these controls a chore now. It even feels like a step back from 4, probably because he's been injecting himself with gallons of testosterone.

I hate the camera angle too, it makes picking items off the floor awkward since you can't see them properly. I also hate the way Sheva constantly fades into view behind you, it looks shoddy. Sigh.

You've never played RE4? Even those (like me) who wanted more controls than RE4 had never really wanted to be able to move and aim/shoot at the same time, only to be able to sidestep in between aiming. You wouldn't want it to be like every other 3rd person action game out there, would you?

Yes on PS2. Yes you make a good point. It just feels so horribly sluggish and unresponsive by today's standards. :wub:

I'm still gonna buy it because its well a resi game. I would buy a bucket of dog poo if someone said it was the new Resident evil game.

Cramped sums it up nicely - especially with Chris taking up about 50% of the screen.

Come release day I think we're going to see a lot of disappointed people posting on here. The list of issues is too many for this to be a sure fire classic like Resi 4; Forced co-op, feeble AI, archaic controls, cramped environments, overwhelming feeling that it is a RE4 reskin, etc.

I'm not saying it's going to be a stinker (far from it) but it's not lining up to be a 10/10

No way man, I am LOVING it!

The environments are much more interactive in this. I shotgunned a dude in the face and he went flying into a big table and umbrella thing, which went flying. The explosions are probably the best I've seen in a game. You can shoot piles of melons, skulls etc. It's much more kinetic and explosive than RE4, with more incidental stuff happening.

Also I killed the hammer dude by the tried and trusted method of shooting him a lot. This gave me ages to explore and I found an SMG in a case. Hooray!

Re. the controls, it plays like RE4 on GC. How much you can cope with that may determine your level of enjoyment. Me, it's like meeting an old friend, one who still doesn't need strafe. AT ALL. Oh, and Chris doesn't take up any more of the screen than Leon did.

Feels like a 10 to me.

Cramped sums it up nicely - especially with Chris taking up about 50% of the screen.

Come release day I think we're going to see a lot of disappointed people posting on here. The list of issues is too many for this to be a sure fire classic like Resi 4; Forced co-op, feeble AI, archaic controls, cramped environments, overwhelming feeling that it is a RE4 reskin, etc.

I'm not saying it's going to be a stinker (far from it) but it's not lining up to be a 10/10

Lets hope it's tweaked. If it's the same as the Japanese one it'll be oldish code. Lets hope they're listening to feedback.

Well, I played through both levels in co-op and I love it as much as 4. It's really nice how you can work together, with one person upstairs sniping the barrels for instance. Many different routes through the levels as well. It can be a bit claustrophobic, but it's never too cramped for me. You can often run past enemies, do a quick turn and shoot.

I like this more than Dead Space (based on the demo that is) and not just because of the co-op. The melee attacks in particular are tremendous fun. Shoot them in the leg, watch them stagger and move in for the uppercut or hook. Sheva's knife stab to the chest is vicious as well. The controls are pure Resi and to me work as fine as ever. They suit the series.

Also really like that feeling of digging for stuff in every nook and cranny, like slicing fruit for extra ammo.

The boss characters are cool as well, from the giggling chainsaw loon to that big guy with the hammer who destroys everything in his path. And the explosions are :wub:

I'm sold. :lol:

There will be some tweaks, absolutely, this build is from November last year. No major changes though.

As for disappointment, I honestly think the moaning will quieten as people play through the full game and start settling in with the controls. The entire thing is tailored around these controls. From everything I've seen, it's going to be an epic experience packed with hours and hours and hooours of content, so we'll see how they hold up. :wub: