Resident Evil 5- 360/PS3

stellar12

Yay!

I know this is going to be one of those games that divide the forum, but I'm glad there are some of us who are loving it. Hopefully those of you who aren't feeling it at the moment will grow accustomed to the new stuff and start to feel the love. For example I was thrown by the inventory system at first, but now I think it's pretty tidy. You still get that little bit of re-arranging in the quiet moments, but you also get to whip out your weapons in a flash. It just takes a little getting used to. Again, if you loved the GC version, set your controls to Type A, "Fastest" aiming speed, and tuck in. Forget the strafe controls, they're balls.

The best thing is we've only seen a tiny fraction of the game. I can't wait to see what environments and enemies they're going to throw at us. I mean, who would have guessed from the village section of RE4 that there would be the Regenerators or Novistadors etc.

Oh, and treasure is back!

Things that need to change for me to consider day 1 purchase*:

Get rid of the tearing.

Make the woman get from under me feet (ee bah gum ecky thump spindle's come off t'treddle)

Make the quick select of weapons actually select without having to press A (never going to happen because you can give shit to said woman) - I'm wrong \o/

Make the pistol feel hefty. Not more powerful, but make it feel like you're firing something other than a spud gun.

The controls I can live with I suppose because they ain't gonna change, but the above really bothered me. However, it should be noted I'm itching to get back to it...

*Street Fighter IV and Persona 4 have scuppered this, rendering this post utterly irrelevant other than for purposes of "fuck yeah, I agree" rallying replies.

Gur!? It told me to press Y then I have to use the stick and press A to equip! I are nub :(

Yeah, you do that to get to your inventory. From there, yes you can manually equip stuff. Obviously pressing RB brings up her inventory. But then you can highlight stuff with X, pick it up, and move it to up, down, left and right on the d-pad. So for example pistol, shotgun, SMG, herb. Then close your inventory and hitting those d-pad directions will switch/use as appropriate.

Real-time weapon change! :(

Re. the controls, it plays like RE4 on GC. How much you can cope with that may determine your level of enjoyment. Me, it's like meeting an old friend, one who still doesn't need strafe. AT ALL. Oh, and Chris doesn't take up any more of the screen than Leon did.

resident-evil-4-screenshot-cultists.jpg

resident-evil-5_26-07-08_01.jpg

Christ knows. Probably not. Maybe. I dunno. Chris seems to take up less, but is that because of widescreen? Also, isn't Sheva usually cluttering yup the other half becase she's clinging to your leg (yes, I know I'm labouring the point a little).

lolz! was about to ask how to burn the demo onto dvd as it said "mixed media" last night when i put it in the drive

any ideas still, save me downloading it, cos the dvd will burn in SECONDS

Well then? eh? Hmm? Ive got the "Content folder" what do I use to burn it? I tried nero and an iso image but it gave me that dodge result...

I've played it again tonight. I'm starting to get used to it and it's starting to become more enjoyable. No problems with Sheva or anything. Plenty of ammo and managed to find a really easy way of getting through the first installment - just get on top of the bus. Then you can pop people off as they jump across or try to climb up.

And I never had any problem knowing where chainsaw man is - the 5.1 is ace.

lolz! was about to ask how to burn the demo onto dvd as it said "mixed media" last night when i put it in the drive

any ideas still, save me downloading it, cos the dvd will burn in SECONDS

Well then? eh? Hmm? Ive got the "Content folder" what do I use to burn it? I tried nero and an iso image but it gave me that dodge result...

Why don't you just download it from the marketplace now?

Otherwise, you need to sign out of Live then go into your games bit, the third option along the My Xbox tab and it'll be in there in Japanese.

I found that killing the Hammer bloke in the very first room as a priority enabled me to really explore on my last couple of plays. You can get quite high up for some great views.

I also liked the fact that you don't have to send Shiva up the ladder at the beginning of the second area, you can just ignore it and take on some of the baddies she snipes for you otherwise. Bodes well for a few optional tactics.

I found that killing the Hammer bloke in the very first room as a priority enabled me to really explore on my last couple of plays. You can get quite high up for some great views.

I also liked the fact that you don't have to send Shiva up the ladder at the beginning of the second area, you can just ignore it and take on some of the baddies she snipes for you otherwise. Bodes well for a few optional tactics.

Yeah, but if you don't send her up the ladder straight away and wait, she won't bother to hoover up the items up there and will instead just jump back down to you. Silly bint.

Ah once more I find Resident Evil a fucking pile of shite.

How any of you people can enjoy this game is beyond me. The older ones had a shit control system as does this one.

It feels like the character is wallowing in treacle constantly, the aiming is slow and useless - with head shots failing to take out the targets, your partner is inept, the ammo sparse, enemies you can unload six shotgun shells into who don't die and an equip section that takes ages especially when you are being attacked.

I shall persevere but having failed to enjoy RE 1/2/3 then I doubt I will enjoy this.

I tried it with D control set and it felt a bit better. But, damn, shooting people looks bad. It really could have used some Euphoria or even some good old fashioned rag-dolls. And they really should have been able to mix up the basic "zombies" this time. Being attacked by identical twins wearing the exact same outfit just takes me out of the game.

RE4 was exciting, scary and fun. This doesn't seem like any of those. My preorder stays, though, on the off chance that it's 1/10th as good as RE4.

Well I just played the demo and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The first level was just intense; the sense of panic was great. Part of me thinks that the difficulty was slightly toned down for this demo as had this been RE4, I would have been dead from that first room. I shooting all over the place and was just wasting ammo. The two biggest surprises for me however were the controls and Sheva; in that neither bothered me at all. I stuck with the Type D controls and I have to say that they felt really natural for me. I know you can't move and shoot at the same time but this is something that I wasn't really expecting them to change that. But they felt so similar to many other games that I got into them pretty quickly. Screw the RE4 controls, it's Type D for me all the way! Then there's Sheva, she didn't bother me as much as I thought she would. She pretty much held her own for the most part. The part where she didn't was against the chainsaw guy. But then to be fair, I was thinking more about myself at that point than her so it wasn't all that surprising that she got herself sawn in half.

I totally understand the feeling of it being "cramped". It's something that I've felt since RE4 too and again I wasn't really expecting them to change it, although it does feel worse here with me constantly bumping into Sheva. I guess it's something that I'd have to get used to.

Overall, I really liked it. While they've kept the core RE4 elements, they've made enough changes to make it feel fresh and different enough from RE4 to make it not feel like RE4.5. I plan to play in single player first but I definitely want to play it in co-op too. It feels like that it'll work really well in co-op and will be a good laugh. I just need to find someone to play it with on the PS3 first.

Can't wait for March now :(

How any of you people can enjoy this game is beyond me. The older ones had a shit control system as does this one.

It feels like the character is wallowing in treacle constantly, the aiming is slow and useless - with head shots failing to take out the targets, your partner is inept, the ammo sparse, enemies you can unload six shotgun shells into who don't die and an equip section that takes ages especially when you are being attacked.

I shall persevere but having failed to enjoy RE 1/2/3 then I doubt I will enjoy this.

You never played 4? :(

Shame on you!

You didn't like RE2?

Good god.

You didn't like RE2?

Good god.

I have found all of the RE games to be sluggish with:

Dumb save systems

Annoying invisible walls/tiny fences I cannot climb over

Wooden doors that I cannot kick in

Terrible aiming system

Not played RE4 but if it is anything like this demo then I can see another RE game not being in my collection.

I have found all of the RE games to be sluggish with:

Dumb save systems

Annoying invisible walls/tiny fences I cannot climb over

Wooden doors that I cannot kick in

Terrible aiming system

Not played RE4 but if it is anything like this demo then I can see another RE game not being in my collection.

RE2 was in 1997, man. Give it a break! It was fucking awesome. Saves? I cleared it in one sitting.