That Tingle Up The Spine

Davros sock drawer

I was thinking about this a bit after our gig on Wednesday. My favourite albums, at least the ones I come back to again and again, rather than current favourites, are those that have the most number of spine tingling moments. Death From Above 1979 may make me want to jump around the room, but it doesn't give me the shivers.

I think that's why Dark Side of the Moon is considered such a masterpiece. It seems to be one long series of spine tingling moments, from the wash of the first chords on Breathe, through the proto-dance rush of On the Run, then the doom-laden lament at Time's passing "You missed the starting gun..." and the way it kicks into the solo. Great Gig in the Sky is almost unbearably spine tingling, it turns me to jelly in the right circumstances. And on it goes through to Eclipse with it's euphoric, Hammond-laden ending.

Thinking about my own band's output, I think we have a marked lack of those moments. We've only done one (cheap) album I know, but I think we need to put more feeling into what we do. There are only two moments out of the 12 tracks we did which give me that euphoric, emotional feeling that you should get when listening to really good music.

So what moments, albums, or songs make you go weak at the knees?

I sort of get it in the scalp, rather than the spine, but Octave One's Black Water gets me like that almost every time. I'm sure there are others, just can't think of them right now.

There's a bit on Porcupine Tree's "Sky Moves Sideways" where the guitar riffing stops, and all you can hear is a womans voice singing... I feel like floating when I hear that..

Also, the peak of most godspeed songs gets me good; Silver Mt Zion too.

I know a few people will agree with me here, but it's Solu Music - Fade everytime. I just love staring out of my window as the sunsets listening to this. Also (and I hope acidbearboy agrees with me) Gus Gus - David (King Britt Mix) makes me go all funny.

The one that springs to mind straight away is from the LP that I nicked my username and avatar from, The For Carnation's album. There's a track called 'Moonbeams' that builds up to an amazing crescendo, but it's so not loud at all - it's just quite a subtle arpeggio but it sounds amazing after the build-up. I don't think I've ever heard a release of tension that's as interesting as that, rather than just going into 'the loud bit'.

Otherwise most music that I really like has had this effect at some point or other.

Loads of music makes me feel like that. I listened to In a Silent Way last night and near the end of It's about that time when the drums kick in, that's a perfect spine tingling moment. The end of "What goes on" by the Velvet Underground too.

Strangely enough, I've never listened to Dark Side of the Moon. I'm obviously missing out on something good.

I dunno about tingle, but one song that makes me jump around on the dance floor while having that I'm-invincible-and-look-like-an-idiot-but-I-dont-care feeling is From Out Of Nowhere by Faith No More. Especially when your juuuuuuuuuust the right amount drunk. Slam-tastic.

I'd go with that and then raise you Autechre's Clipper.

'basscadoublemx', disc 2 from the 10" Basscadet boxset. When that huge, bowel-shaking, fart of a bass kicks in....

Not their best track, but it's definitely a tingle moment.

It didn't make it on to the CD version which is a bit of a travesty.

Octave Ones 'I believe' gets me as does the similar 'It is what it is' by Derrick May.

And most of the earlier stuff by Ian O'brien and of course Balil (but not Plaid).

Certain chord combinations with the right synth sound just blow me away.

The best i've heard (in techno) is proberly the Galaxy to Galaxy stuff on UR. That almost consistantly sends shivers.

In the case of rock music, its selective tracks - but again its certain note conbinations.

Stuff like ZZ tops Antennahead (i'm no expert in rock - sorry Davros) - but i don't know the names of most of the stuff i like.

Early Jamariqaui, and the Jazz Funk stuff of the 70's....

Mizell bros, Real Things 'Can u feel the force', The track 'Grooveline', stuff like that but mostly huge chords and huge strings.

Some of John Barry's incident 007 music too. 007 and counting from diamonds are forever is fantasic.

Octave Ones 'I believe' gets me

Any chance you could send me an MP3 of that? :D

The best i've heard (in techno) is proberly the Galaxy to Galaxy stuff on UR. That almost consistantly sends shivers.

Oh yeah! Deep Space Nine off that is :unsure:

Extremely geeky, but from every Star Wars film (yes even the much maligned earlier episodes) the end of each films particular score cutting directly into the main star wars theme for the credits sends a riotous chill right down my spine. Luverly.

I get this from a lot of individual tracks but nothing seems to consistanly do it. Except perhaps "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday.

Its a total cliche but I Am the Resurrection, the latter instrumental half gives me goosebumps if i'm walking along with the volume up. The part where it breaks back down into the driven beat of the first part of the song is amazing to me.

I get this feeling with just about any song that I really like at the time. Once I listen to that song enough, then the feeling will go eventually.

Or sometimes, if I haven't listened to a song for aaages then I will get the feeling when I listen to it again.

Currently: Here In My Room by Incubus is making my spine tingle. Give it a few days though, and it will be something else.

I must listen to Dark side of the moon.

Never really got into Pink Floyd but i did enjoy that appregio based thing they did (the part inspiration for RH's Delta C64 music).

*edit* - thats Breath isn't it.

Loved the way they played the live drums against it. Great track that.

Sinsiter and clever use of samples too - they almost based the track in the helicopter's rotory blades.

Loads, really. The bit in 'Crooked' by Evil Nine where the second set of drums kicks in gets me going, as does the bit where the tune drops in the Plump DJs mix of 'Smartbomb' by BT. And there's a lovely horn section towards the end of 'You Can't Hide Love' by Creative Source that's just wonderful. The bit halfway through 'Island Letter' by Shuggie Otis, where there's this beautiful string breakdown, has me stopping in my tracks if I'm listening to it on my iPod.

Since a few people have mentioned Autechre, there's a track on Confield that has a sound on it that's like someone spinning a glass around. Every time it comes in it's well satisying. No idea which track it is seeing as the vinyl's got no indication of what side you're listening to.. Awkward bastards.