Great Arcade Games

nausea

i would have liked to see these three SEGA games on a home system (but probably never will):

Emergency Call Ambulance

i have actually never played this or even seen the cab anywhere, but it looks absolutely brilliant. i can't get this game out of my head, i must play this someday.

Jambo! Safari

i've played this once and found it really fun. this was actually planned for the Dreamcast in a games pack together with Emergency Call Ambulance and Brave Firefighters. why oh why didn't they release that pack? :D

Scud Race

no comment needed. :rolleyes:

so, what are your favourite arcade games that never got a release on a home system?

I remember playing a Tank game from Namco called Tokyo Wars. As far as I know it has had no home conversion but, I think, Search (or is it Seek?) and Destroy on the PC (budget tank arcade game), bears more than a passing resemblance.

Scud Race has already been mentioned, I would have liked to see a home conversion of GTI Club from Konami, never happened though.

That Simpsons one! Haven't played it since I was about 8, but it seemed like an amazing beat 'em up at the time.

Knowing my memory, it was probably a sloppy bunch o' bollocks.

Yep. It is gobbleshit.

On the other hand, Harley Davidson and L.A. Riders was fucking brilliant. The sheer size of the game impressed me. And Wild Riders. That was ace, if short.

I was talking with a fellow retrogamer the other day about Sinistar, and asked if there was a C64 version. Which there wasn't. But there should be. Conversions of Armed Formation and/or Omega Fighter would've been nice too.

EDIT: oh, and there was a C64 version of the Simpsons Arcade game, but I've yet to find out how bad it is...

Yes, there was a PC version of the Simpsons Arcade game, I also really liked that.

PC - Simpsons Arcade

Pity that Turtles was not followed, I know it appeared as an unlockable extra on the last Ninja Turtles game but I do not know how faithful it was to the original arcade version. I know that the Amiga recieved a port of the Turtles arcade game though.

A really awesome conversion of Daytona 1 & 2, for Xbox 360 with all 40 players on Xbox LIVE :wub:

Daytona USA Online on the Dreamcast was magnificent, and worked far better than it had any right to on a regular modem.

Scud Race of course needs a conversion, but let's not forget that we didn't get a decent version of Virtua Racing until last year, so I'm not going to start holding my breath.

For me, it's a crime that we had to put up with lousy wrestling games from Acclaim while I could go to an arcade and play the brilliant Wrestlefest. It needed a SNES conversion bad.

My vote has to go to Taito's Wardner. A neat little platform game that only saw a release on the Megadrive.

I remember seeing this back in the arcades in 1988 and thinking that it'd only be a matter of time before Ocean snapped up the licence and treated Spectrum, Amstrad and C64 users to a great (well, for the specs of the machines) arcade conversion. Unfortunately it never happened.

Rob

Wasn't Daytona USA Online on the Dreamcast quite bad due to awful handling? I still enjoyed it though. Another arcade game I would have liked to get a home conversion is Ferrari F355 Challenge II, but then, in saying that, I think the PS2 version incorporated elements from it, such as the new viewpoint.

I cannot think of any other games right now, besides, most arcade games now get a home conversion anyway.

Wasn't Daytona USA Online on the Dreamcast quite bad due to awful handling?  I still enjoyed it though.  Another arcade game I would have liked to get a home conversion is Ferrari F355 Challenge II, but then, in saying that, I think the PS2 version incorporated elements from it, such as the new viewpoint.

I cannot think of any other games right now, besides, most arcade games now get a home conversion anyway.

I changed the handling sensitivity and it played like a dream.

I was talking with a fellow retrogamer the other day about Sinistar, and asked if there was a C64 version. Which there wasn't. But there should be.  Conversions of Armed Formation and/or Omega Fighter would've been nice too.

EDIT: oh, and there was a C64 version of the Simpsons Arcade game, but I've yet to find out how bad it is...

Isn't Zone Ranger by Activision a decent clone? (or at least a decent cross between Asteroids and Sinistar.)

Yes, but didn`t Rob say that? He was lamenting the lack of 8bit computer versions.

Yep, that's right.

I have the Megadrive version in my collection. It's not bad, but I'd always longed for an Ocean Spectrum conversion.

Whilst I'm here, I may as well add Toki to the list. This was released on Amiga, ST, Megadrive and a number of other formats, but after seeing the Spectrum screenshots I was looking forward to the Spectrum version.

Turns out that all they were was a set of screen mock-ups.