Kojima Wants Jaffe For A Next-gen Game

vladtepess

or Blood of War? :wub:

'God of War' designer living his dream

Canadian Press

Wed, July 20, 2005

These are heady times for video game director David Jaffe.

His latest project, God of War, is a runaway hit. He has new expanded duties at Sony Computer Entertainment’s Santa Monica studio. And he found himself on stage recently at the Hollywood Bowl, where God of War was featured in a program of video game hits performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Jaffe, 34, was in select company, with people behind such hit games as Super Mario, the Legend of Zelda, Halo, Myst, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Diablo, Sonic the Hedgehog and Final Fantasy.

He introduced his game and watched as the music was played over a montage of scenes from the dark brutal epic, set in the rich world of Greek mythology.

“Here I am, this kid that grew up just absolutely loving video games and somehow or other my passion for that medium has brought me to the stage of the Hollywood Bowl and here I am talking to tons of video game fans,” Jaffe said in an interview. “That was a really moving experience for me.

“And then, after that, I got to meet my idol (comic book guru) Stan Lee, who I’ve loved since I was a kid and I got to meet (Metal Gear Solid creator) Hideo Kojima.

“And what was really cool about that is that he says to me, through his translator, that they not only played God of War, which blew my mind that someone as amazing as Kojima would have played a game that I directed, but he says he loves it and he says ‘I want to work with you on a game and I want the God of War team to make the next Castlevania (game).’ “

Heady times indeed.

I was thinking about the way Kratos uses the whip , it is similar to an extent to the use we can find in the Castelvania 3D games, only with major power and violence. So it could be really helpful to have a stronger feel of destruction as seen in GOW to be transferred to the Castelvania serie.

Might do, it would be certainly PS3 exclusive if they did so they might think it's worth it. However Jaffe's team might be working on a game that Sony would expect more money from so it wouldn't be worth their while. Possibly then a Konami team makes the game and Jaffe acts in a producers role not unlike Miyamoto on Metroid Prime.

Hmm not a bad idea, would prefer the DMC team to do it, but thats not going to happen so...

I don't think that'd be great. Much as I love DMC3, it's a fighting game only - with any adventure/exploration parts truly a secondary (if that high) part of the game. Castlevania's always been more about exploring/adventuring and ambience than fighting, and in those catgeories, GoW wins.

The God of War team have proved that they can make whip style combat very satisfying in 3D, sounds like the perfect combo with Castlevania for me.

The environments in God of War are suitably epic as well: Think about the scale of Pandoras Temple and their excellent level design - these guys should be able to do Castlevania very well.

I just hope that they don't go down the turgid visuals line the Castlevanias always have.

Yeah, I suppose you're right, the only 3D Castlevania game I've played is Lament of Innocence and to be honest it's kinda lacking in both aspects. I thought the original DMC was decent exploration wise though, only played the third briefly.