Rare/collectable Spectrum Games

So I managed to pick up a replacement +2b power supply and..... the Spectrum works a treat! 

I tried a few of the games to see if they work and so far, all of them do (I think I read the tape deck in the +2b was better quality). 

Playing Shadow of the Beast and Golden Axe on the Spectrum (never played either of them on the spectrum as I had moved onto an Amiga by then) is a strange experience. Shadow of the Beast, despite having lower quality graphics, is essentially the same game as the Amiga version. And that’s when it hits you that it’s not much more than a side scrolling beat em up, not far from Kung Fu Master, Vigilante and Ninja Warriors. Maybe a bit repetitive but it’s a good conversion.

Golden Axe is a different kettle of fish. The graphics are surprisingly decent and despite it probably being the best “double dragon” type beat em up on the spectrum, it still suffers from awkward controls (especially if you’re used to the arcade or mega drive versions - things like double tap dash don’t seem to work) and it’s brutally difficult. It reminds me of when you bought home ports of arcade games and they weren’t really that much like them, but the truth was you had nothing to compare it with as the original arcade game was either played when you were on holiday or it had been replaced by something newer in your local arcade/chippy!

Also played Gilbert Escape From Drill which again I’m not sure if it’s genuinely rare (the alternative budget re-release is BIN RARE!! one eBay at around £12-15, no sign of the original release). 

Its also amazingly nostalgic playing Spectrum games from tape - however one thing that is annoying is the lack of tape stop (like the C64 has). Meaning if you leave the room, if the level has loaded then you’ve completely missed the next loader part!

42 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

I thought Target Renegade was the best beat em up on the Speccy.  Is Golden Axe better than that?

No, but I meant double dragon style beat em up that were popular in the late 80s. I never really thought of target renegade being one of those (even though renegade was the prequel to double dragon), hard to describe but those games like Dynamite Dux, Final Fight, Shadow Warriors, TMNT, Simpson’s etc.that were all the (streets of) rage for a while. Target Renegade felt a bit more beat em up focused, slower but more strategic than just bashing buttons and using special moves or jumping over scenery.

Anyway, if you are comparing them then no, Gokden Axe comes however near to Target Renegade. But it’s better than Renegade III ! 

• 1 year later...

There’s no rare games in that bundle as far as I can tell, a few decent titles like Dark Star, Android 2 and Monty On the Run, but it’s not like filled with what you might call the classics. Heavy On The Magick is probably the most expensive title I can see, you could get around £5-£10 for that on eBay, if it’s complete. 3D Tank Duel night go for the same amount. 

The Currah microspeech looks like it goes for around £15 on eBay.

How much is he asking for the bundle?

^^

Yeah, agree with that. Most of the others can be bought for £1 to £3 quid on Spectrum Facebook groups. The double packs might be attractive to collectors

id offer £30 for that lot. Make a chip devalues the whole lot imo ;) 

from what I’ve seen, the big money is on the last few Ultimate games (Bubbler etc), Deus Ex Machina and some of the Hit Squads (Dark man and Addams Family attract £100 sometimes)

but when it comes to the Speccy, prices can get mental! 

Those double play adventures can sometimes fetch a few quid, and maybe the telstar double pack too, but others have said that's a pretty good bunch in terms of some nice games but nothing overtly rare.

5 hours ago, Bluejam said:

^^

Yeah, agree with that. Most of the others can be bought for £1 to £3 quid on Spectrum Facebook groups. The double packs might be attractive to collectors

id offer £30 for that lot. Make a chip devalues the whole lot imo ;) 

from what I’ve seen, the big money is on the last few Ultimate games (Bubbler etc), Deus Ex Machina and some of the Hit Squads (Dark man and Addams Family attract £100 sometimes)

but when it comes to the Speccy, prices can get mental! 

Yeah, the real pricey ones are the late Ultimate games - Cybernoid, Martianoids, Bubble - which ironically are the most mediocre. Seeing Martianoids going for £70+ does grate a little, I originally picked it up for a couple of quid back in the day and then swapped it for a few other games because it wasn't very good! The other big Ultimate collectable is the compilation "Ultimate: The Collected Works" which came out when US Gold had purchased Ultimate. It comes with a hints sheet and poster, so if it has those then it does really go up in value. But if you want a decent Ultimate collection, get Ten Titles For Your Spectrum Plus, which was a Boots compilation and has 6 early Ultimate titles - plus they contain the original (and cryptic) instructions, unlike the Collected Works. 

Hit Squad games is a real strange one, I think it's the "Collectability" of them - they're all in uniform packaging/labelling which I suppose makes them nicer to collect and have them on a shelf. I've got a few Hit Squad games and I was really surprised to see one of them, Head over Heels, go for more than the original (and IMHO much nicer) jewel case box. The later games weren't really good at all, but as you said things like Dark Man, RBI Baseball II, Smash TV go for ridiculous prices. There's some Firebird re-releases that also go for more than average, maybe because they were actually given a semi-decent cover! 

Other rare games are Julian Glossop's games like Laser Squad, Lords of Chaos, Chaos and the really rare compilation The Rebelstar Collection (I don't think I've ever seen that on eBay). 

But there are some games that do end up getting a bit more money than you'd expect, they're often releases that have since become really popular but maybe didn't sell that well at the time (but loads of people had, because they were swapping tapes in the playground!)

• Upvote 1

Other than the ones already mentioned, it's pretty much the rarer titles that go for obscene money. +3 Disk releases can also demand you clear out your bank account.

A couple of the later Ocean original release Spectrum titles go for a fair bit of money - Robocop 3 and Battle Command. Possibly International Match Day, too. Robocop 3 and Battle Command I've only ever seen available to buy once each and I managed to get them. Some titles that turn up every now and then but still look for you to splash out over a tenner, sometimes well over, to get a tatty box that's seen better days include Domark's The Spy Who Loved Me, Ubisoft's Zombi and US Gold/LucasArts Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis to name 3.

I stopped collecting Spectrum games well over 8 years ago but on a whim a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I'd try to get a full Codemasters set. The challenge was to try and do it as cheaply as possible and the cassettes/inlays to be in good as good a condition as possible. I sadly got rid of quite a few Codemasters games during a really low period of my life so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. In the past 2 weeks I've bought 25 of their games. The most I've paid for a single game excluding P&P) is £4.95, which was 1 of the first I bought, and I could've got that cheaper after having a further look around. It's their later releases from the 1990 to 1993 that command the most money - anything from £20 upwards to £100. Fuck that. For games that originally cost £1.99.

I was pretty much winging it anyway, so this morning I sat down and created a list of every single game Codemasters released on the ZX Spectrum. Excluding compilations or those efforts they created for the Light Gun but were eventually released by Mastertronic as modified versions you could play without, Codemasters released 112 games...or 110 if you ignore 4 Soccer Simulations and Rock Star Ate My Hamster which were released twice as full price and then budget. I've got 30 in total. Barely even a 3rd of their games, none of the expensive ones and I've spent £70. I don't think I'll be continuing this challenge.

• Upvote 3

I luckily managed to get the full set of Ultimate individual releases a few years ago.

Bubbler was the most expensive but I managed to get it for £40.

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Old 8 bit collection fascinates me (though I won’t do it myself). Do the tapes even still work after all this time?

Oh aye! Course it depends on a few things like where and how they were stored but the majority of tapes still work after 30 odd years. Some custom loaders, like Speedlock, can be a pain in the arse to load after all these years but most of the time they’ll still load. 

If the game itself doesn’t load but the tape is ok, you can convert the ZX Spectrum TZX file to WAV (once you get the right settings) and record it back to the cassette.

At the height of my collecting phase, I did  wee personal study to figure out which publisher’s tapes failed the most. It turned out that Elite, Durell and Domark cassettes had the highest failures. They all must have used the cheapest possible.

One thing has always puzzled me - were Speedlock, Alcatraz, et al, really any good at preventing copying? Or did my dad just have a very good hifi setup? Because I never ever had a problem with my tape-tape copying, no matter what the game was…

2 minutes ago, Peter St John said:

One thing has always puzzled me - were Speedlock, Alcatraz, et al, really any good at preventing copying? Or did my dad just have a very good hifi setup? Because I never ever had a problem with my tape-tape copying, no matter what the game was…

Neither did I. I suspect that as tape-to-tape decks became so prevalent in the 1980s they were able to do very good copies. I think that Speedlock had "clicks" in the header to try and engage the automatic level controller in tape dubbing decks, making for unusable copies.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, redballoon said:

Oh aye! Course it depends on a few things like where and how they were stored but the majority of tapes still work after 30 odd years. Some custom loaders, like Speedlock, can be a pain in the arse to load after all these years but most of the time they’ll still load. 

If the game itself doesn’t load but the tape is ok, you can convert the ZX Spectrum TZX file to WAV (once you get the right settings) and re it’d it back to the cassette.

At the height of my collecting phase, I did  wee personal study to figure out which publisher’s tapes failed the most. It turned out that Elite, Durell and Domark cassettes had the highest failures. They all must have used the cheapest possible.

custom loaders were a pain in the arse even back then!

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Peter St John said:

Back then I had access to one of those classic Amstrad tape-to-tape ghetto blasters. Compared to the shit that passes for consumer-grade units this thing was amazing and built like a tank. Used to tape tons of games with it at school and very rarely had issues with custom loaders. Mind you I think it had a lot to do with the quality of your flat tape deck too. Borrowed a mate's posh one with head alignment knob and tone control, loaded all the games that previously failed.  

download.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 14/05/2020 at 14:42, redballoon said:

I stopped collecting Spectrum games well over 8 years ago but on a whim a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I'd try to get a full Codemasters set. The challenge was to try and do it as cheaply as possible and the cassettes/inlays to be in good as good a condition as possible. I sadly got rid of quite a few Codemasters games during a really low period of my life so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. In the past 2 weeks I've bought 25 of their games. The most I've paid for a single game excluding P&P) is £4.95, which was 1 of the first I bought, and I could've got that cheaper after having a further look around. It's their later releases from the 1990 to 1993 that command the most money - anything from £20 upwards to £100. Fuck that. For games that originally cost £1.99.

I was pretty much winging it anyway, so this morning I sat down and created a list of every single game Codemasters released on the ZX Spectrum. Excluding compilations or those efforts they created for the Light Gun but were eventually released by Mastertronic as modified versions you could play without, Codemasters released 112 games...or 110 if you ignore 4 Soccer Simulations and Rock Star Ate My Hamster which were released twice as full price and then budget. I've got 30 in total. Barely even a 3rd of their games, none of the expensive ones and I've spent £70. I don't think I'll be continuing this challenge.

This bundle of three Codemasters’ Seymour games is currently at £155 with 6 days still to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274376872686

Are they really worth that???? Crazy!

• Upvote 1

Oh absolutely not! I noticed that there are 9 bids on it already...with just less than 6 days to go. Nearer the end, I bet that £155 will rise.

On the flip side, 1 of their games, KGB Superspy, was going for £6.99 at the weekend there. Even at that price, I bowed out. It was then offered to me (and another, it seems) for £4.50. Even at that price I was sucking the air through my teeth so put in a counter offer of £4, doing that thing where you switch between “Ach I should have offered less and they won’t go for it and offer it to the other person meaning I’ve missed out on a title I’m trying to get. Acting all cool that if the other person gets it then I’ll get another chance else where but really would be annoyed trying to save 50 pence.

It was accepted, so it’s winging its way to me. So, imagine what I’m like when I see £155!

those seymour games are quite rare, the number of copies out there getting less all the time as they are snapped up by collectors.

Not surprised at the price, over £250 now