IGNORED

Ridge Racer 6 For Xbox 360

Graham S

On 14/05/2022 at 04:48, PikaStu said:

How about Ridge Racer 3DS? I didn’t realise it was a thing! Is it any good?

It's the N64 version in 3D, with analogue steering on the touch screen if you choose.  I wasn't keen to be honest. 

Edit: wrong! I'm talking about the DS game.  The 3DS game is much better.

21 minutes ago, dumpster said:

It's the N64 version in 3D, with analogue steering on the touch screen if you choose.  I wasn't keen to be honest. 

Ah, booourns.

36 minutes ago, dumpster said:

You’re talking about Ridge Racer DS, developed by NST (who made the original Ridge Racer 64). Ridge Racer 3D was developed by Namco Bandai, which a lot of people really liked. (I hated the soundtrack, though.)

1 hour ago, DeDeDe said:

You’re talking about Ridge Racer DS, developed by NST (who made the original Ridge Racer 64). Ridge Racer 3D was developed by Namco Bandai, which a lot of people really liked. (I hated the soundtrack, though.)

Eee, you're right, sorry, I read that as DS.  The only thing I remember about Ridge 3DS was the way the ticker tape sticks to the windscreen in 3D.  

4 hours ago, PikaStu said:

How about Ridge Racer 3DS? I didn’t realise it was a thing! Is it any good?

It's all right.  I much preferred the PSP games personally.  This was the game I got with my 3DS at launch, and I don't think I ever played it again after getting a second game later.

The DS game is a total shit stain.  Almost as bad as Burnout DS.

Just watched the DF video and fired up RR3D.  The summary seems to be that the music is more rock than rave, the 3D is good, the game itself is a collection of favourite tracks and the only thing that lets it down is 30fps and the extremely good PSP games.  If you want to play RR and own a PSP then get it on PSP, but the 3DS game is great, just not as good as PSP which is much older too. 

On 09/05/2022 at 18:50, Shimmyhill said:

I’m a huge fan of ridge racer, its up there as one of my fave series but to suggest this what the consumer today wants seems insane - it and nearly all arcade racing games died years ago and yet Forza Horizon is a multi million seller and if anything the market has moved to more sim lite type racing games being system sellers these days.

I bought the US version of this the day it went back compat, I still own my original Ridge racer PlayStation 1 disc (only one I own, lost type 4 somewhere :() and a 360 for Outrun 2 and Daytona but I still think FH series should be celebrated as being a link back to the arcade style racer as everything else has gone far more serious - I play the FH series for years, dipping in and out and always a complimentary game to others im playing.

I would love a new Ridge racer but they have been niche for years and unfortunately the mass game buying public dont want them anymore :( 

This is true but why not just package them up and get them out on the various digital stores. They would make money and us nostalgia nerds could get our fix. 

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Just watched the DF video and fired up RR3D.  The summary seems to be that the music is more rock than rave, the 3D is good, the game itself is a collection of favourite tracks and the only thing that lets it down is 30fps and the extremely good PSP games.  If you want to play RR and own a PSP then get it on PSP, but the 3DS game is great, just not as good as PSP which is much older too. 

I always maintained that if it was 60fps the 3ds version would be up there as the best if not the best RR around esp on the new 3ds…. Gonna have to pick up another one of those, pretty sure I still own the cart!!

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

This is true but why not just package them up and get them out on the various digital stores. They would make money and us nostalgia nerds could get our fix. 

Yeah, sold - I would love that and am only angling for the top tier of the new PS+ thing in the hope of PS1 era RR, RR4 etc :wub:

Retail mode emulation is easy enough that I managed it in around half an hour, and I'm useless at that kind of thing. The required bios files are pretty easy to find.

Dumpster's thread in Retro is really helpful so I'd recommend starting there.

I just got my PS3 back of my boys, it was at their mums but they never used it so they were happy to hand it over. And I wanted it specifically for RR7 and Rock Band. Man, feels great playing RR7 again, I really miss this kind of game. I managed to grab it digitally for the brief time you could buy it so just had to redownload. Along with a bunch of other stuff I had forgotten about.

I owned a 360 and played 6, I remember preferring 7 as it seemed a bit brighter than 6, but I might be imaging that. I also have Ridge Racers 2 for my Vita which is an astonishing game for a handheld. Probably the best in series for my money

1 hour ago, Quest said:

Retail mode emulation is easy enough that I managed it in around half an hour, and I'm useless at that kind of thing. The required bios files are pretty easy to find.

Dumpster's thread in Retro is really helpful so I'd recommend starting there.

Thanks, I will take a look!

Finished Ridge Racer 3DS, was great fun. Gets a bit samey towards the end but it's definitely a great RR game. I really like the 3D on the 3DS too, although I've noticed it goes a bit skew-whiff when I wear my varifocals.

20220514_182526.jpg

OK after fucking around with US credits for what seems like eons I finally have this downloading. $9.99 bitches! One of my favourites from the early days of the 360. This along with PGR3 and Fight Night Round 3 were my first experiences of HD gaming.

14 hours ago, amc said:

Finished Ridge Racer 3DS, was great fun. Gets a bit samey towards the end but it's definitely a great RR game. I really like the 3D on the 3DS too, although I've noticed it goes a bit skew-whiff when I wear my varifocals.

20220514_182526.jpg

I missed out on a £2 boxed copy on eBay last night. My phone battery died and I forgot all about the auction 🤦‍♂️

I got a copy of Ridge 3d and, well it’s really rather lovely!

The frame rate doesn’t really bother me on such a small screen, and while it’s not as sharp as the PSP version I think it looks great, and plays brilliantly 😍

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to get some RR2 on the go.

IMG_1903.jpg.ae48877a79697c2338c0e59d90833d98.jpg

Could probably run it at infinity resolution on the Series X I suppose, but it feels at home on the old PSP.

Ridge Racers 2 is great - I think it stands the test of time better due to being a compilation of the PSX era Ridge games, compared to Ridge Racer 7 which I played recently.

There's nothing inherently wrong with RR7, but it really is Ridge Racer 6 with a couple of extra tracks and a fairly unnecessary car upgrade system.

On the plus side, Ridge 7 is in a better state in terms of emulation, so it's got that going for it.