Revolution Hdtv-gate Clarification

Alex W.

It says 480p will be *standard*. Doesn't say that it can't do more...

That would be implicit in what I'm saying, yes. It uses a prog-scan mode as standard, belaying fears that Kaplan meant "The Revolution doesn't do fancy HDTV video modes, ever".

That would be implicit in what I'm saying, yes. It uses a prog-scan mode as standard, belaying fears that Kaplan meant "The Revolution doesn't do fancy HDTV video modes, ever".

Back up there, brainiac. So let me get this straight, the NINTY REV will do pro-sca?

That's made my day!

it shows that Nintendo is keen to underplay the Rev specs, and keep their cards close. they have said many times how tired they are of the spec wars. it's about the games and game mechanics, after all. i'm sure N will come up with games that looks just as good as anything the 360 can compute.

the overwhelming majority of gamers does not have an HD TV yet, and will not have it in years still.

if the HD issue is so important, perhaps certain people should just say fare-thee-well to Nintendo and leave it all behind.

they have said many times how tired they are of the spec wars. it's about the games and game mechanics, after all. i'm sure N will come up with games that looks just as good as anything the 360 can compute.

Yeah, the BIG N will doubt have the best looking games and the best looking game mechanics. I think it will also be good for little dev houses. Becuase the machine won't be very powerful so they'll be able to throw a game together in a few days I bet.

Thing is, if everyone thought like that - we wouldn't have DVD.

"i'm not buying all are films on another format!"

But they bloody well did.

(thats making an assumption though).

Yeah, I agrre to some extent. Tenacity in the face of adversity is what pushese forward tschno developments. If we all thought OH NO! everytime we saw something new.

Yeah, the BIG N will doubt have the best looking games and the best looking game mechanics. I think it will also be good for little dev houses. Becuase the machine won't be very powerful so they'll be able to throw a game together in a few days I bet.

Hmm.. maybe...

RS3 anyone?

I think every single design decision Nintendo have made is absolutely SPOT ON.

PS3/X360 will be much more expensive, and for your money you'll be buying another movie playing device in a format that will take around four years to have your favourite movies rebought in, a chipset compatible with a TV system you'll probably not get your hands on for around four years, a graphics chipset so multi-chip futuristic powerhouse you'll probably not actually see developers surpassing a revolution level graphics card for around four years, and in around four years, the PS3/X360 will probably be the same price as the revolution at launch.

If the PS3 is say £350, and the Rev is say £150, I'll buy the Rev and then buy the PS3 in four years. That way the extra £200 won't just be an ethereal I.O.U to sony computer entertainment japan.

If the PS3 is say £350, and the Rev is say £150, I'll buy the Rev and then buy the PS3 in four years. That way the extra £200 won't just be an ethereal I.O.U to sony computer entertainment japan.

You'll save even more money by only having a couple of games to buy!

In fact, with the money you save due to the lack of software on Nintendo home consoles you can buy a PS3.

It's a win win situation!

For me this just makes sense with the strategy Nintendo have been outlining with regards to capturing new demographics and casual gamers. The only people who really care about HDTV are early adopters and spec-heads. Obviously that means it is important to some people on forums like these, but to many people it's totally irrelevant, especially because the technology at the moment is prohibitively expensive and doesn't really have a user base in Europe.

But ninty know that their games and controller and retroabilty alone will not sell their machine, so prehaps it makes sence not to use it.

I mean, why make a machine cost more for the sake of it?

Problem is, will their revolutionary ideas be enough to allow it to at least keep the same user usage as now?

Of course, with this in mind, none of the HDTV compatabilty makes any real difference i guess.

"And the DVD player isn't going to be an attachment," he said. "It's going to go inside the machine so you won't even be able to tell the difference." In other words, there will be probably some kind of slot on the console which the attachment slides into so you don't have any big bits of plastic sticking out anywhere - perhaps similar to the way the GameCube's broadband or modem adapters can be inserted.

A bit of plastic that makes a 0 become a 1, essentially. £20 to you, sir. :(

Does it not cost more to develop games for HD-TV? I can't remember which interview I read where Nintendo said they opted against HD-TV partly because it would help smaller developers cost-wise.

It's bigger resolution, so it'll attack your fillrate. That means, that you'd have to be a bit more carefull considering fill-rate heavy effects when developing on ps3 and xbox 360, because they won't publish games unless you support hdtv. So, for 360 and ps3, you'd need a system that either downscales fill-rate heavy effects when runing hdtv, or that doesn't push the fill-rate heavy effects to its fullest.

480i as standard is nice, but does this mean the Rev can do HD, but it isn't required of developers?

though the tech heads will winge, i think it's best if Nintendo leave all HD tech out and just stick with the 480i as standard passing a saving onto us. no point having the extra HD stuff in there as i doubt it will be taken advantage of by many developers. i also like the idea of the DVD player as an extra, giving people a choice if they've already got a decent dvd player/PS3/360.

Still so much to clarify on the Rev front it seems :( i hope they have a big blow out at TGS, it's really about time now...

Hdtv is very affordable now not in four years time pffft.People just seem to fall in line and agree with the myth that hdtv is like 2 million £££ when it isnt at all. When i was thinking next gen a year or two ago i was thinking hd as standard hdd as standard and online play as standard. If a console is to last4-6 years i think it needs these elements, as if it hasnt got them it will be really on its last legs nearing the end of its life cycle. As i feel them three things will become more and more common in that time period.

we're still talking like 500-700 quid, tho, which is fucking way too expensive, considering i have so much other stuff to pay for on a regular basis (& i got my nice Sony 29" CRT second hand for 180 quid :( )

For me this just makes sense with the strategy Nintendo have been outlining with regards to capturing new demographics and casual gamers. The only people who really care about HDTV are early adopters and spec-heads. Obviously that means it is important to some people on forums like these, but to many people it's totally irrelevant, especially because the technology at the moment is prohibitively expensive and doesn't really have a user base in Europe.

I'm a casual gamer and a new demographic, and the fact that it supports slightly fewer screen resolutions is REALLY making me want this console!