IGNORED

The Official Xbox 360 Thread

Spunky Monkey

I've just noticed that the small silver part that says 'HDD' on it, on the Hard Drive, is covered by one of those annoying bits of plastic film that you don't usually notice until you've owned something for around a decade.

Just a heads up and all, so we can rid the world of these dreaded bits of plastic film.

It has a piece around the chrome effect outside as well, although when you remove it it leaves a whole load of sticky stuff on it! :ph34r:

To be fair, I think it's a combination of the two. Voice chat on LIVE is borked at the moment, so much echo on every game when certain people join! I don't know if it's due to people having the volume too loud on their telly when the voice is coming through their speakers or what, but I think that the bandwidth for voice has been reduced anyway!

On the upside, lag seems like a thing of the past on most games. It can't just be due to my faster connection, as I'm not often hosting.

I've noticed a tiny bit of lag (because of yank connections) on PGR3.

PD0 doesn't lag one tiny, tiny bit. Insane netcode.

It can slow down madly with 32 players, though.

You will all be very relieved to hear that the stickyness has now been removed from my HDD chrome bit. It was a fraught afternoon I can tell you.

In other news, I decided to give Microsoft a call about my console freezing every now and then during PGR3 and PD0. After obtaining my serial number and telling me my console was not registered (it was) he took my details and serial number again, paused and then told me the console was already registered. To me! Right glad to see he was on the ball there.

He then went on to ask if it was overheating or if I had dropped it recently (!) before telling me to take all my software back and get it exchanged as it was probably that. Even the games that weren't freezing. Even Condemned that I haven't played yet. Game were super pleased about that I can tell you.

He said that if that didn't help to wipe my hard drive (24hrs on PGR.... [vader] Nooooooo..[/vader] and three missions on PD0) as I had probably got some malicious code from somewhere. "From Microsoft you mean?" He declined to answer that one.

If neither of these things help he gave me a reference number to call back with at which point they would arrange for a courier to exchange it. He did tell me not to worry about my Live Arcade games as I could just re-download these as many times as I wanted. Does this mean I can download them onto my friends HDD / memory card too I wonder?

Oh yes, at one point he asked me to start playing PGR and tell him when it froze, of course it didn't for the twenty minutes or so I played with him asking every few seconds if it had. Didn't seem impressed with my 11K+ kudos score on the half F1 ring either!

Nice fella though.

It needs a feature to get track names for CDs you're ripping over Xbox Live, because having to enter them manually is shit.

Oh, and the wireless controller configuration is really confusing. The other day I had a wireless controller as P1 and a wired controller as P2. The wireless controller turned off as I hadn't used it for a few mins, which left the wired as P1. I unplugged the wired controller and tried every button combination possible (i.e. the 'white' buttons on the wireless controller and the console) to get the wireless controller as P1 again, but it wasn't happening. Eventually I had to switch the fucking console off and on again.

It needs a feature to get track names for CDs you're ripping over Xbox Live, because having to enter them manually is shit.

Oh, and the wireless controller configuration is really confusing. The other day I had a wireless controller as P1 and a wired controller as P2. The wireless controller turned off as I hadn't used it for a few mins, which left the wired as P1. I unplugged the wired controller and tried every button combination possible (i.e. the 'white' buttons on the wireless controller and the console) to get the wireless controller as P1 again, but it wasn't happening. Eventually I had to switch the fucking console off and on again.

There is that exact feature for getting CD track names. If it doesn't recognise your CD, then use a USB keyboard to enter in the names manually.

Turn the wireless controller on again?

Yes! Although some of my CDs seem to have it encoded onto them! Nas for one and strangely my Stone Roses CDR that I copied from my Brother.

I'm pretty sure that I read that it hooks up to something like CDDB for getting the details of songs over Live if need be. It seems to already have a large collection on, it read my retail copy of DFA1979 immediatedly when I wasn't online (I don't think retail CDs have ID tags or CD-Text?).

Yes, we had some superb races last night. Started off with about eight of us and then after my 360 froze and I had to reboot four of us did a bit of a world tour taking in all the cities for some laid back racing and chat.

I know it has been said many times before but the friends list is really what makes Live so special. The conversation between the four of us last night was as good as the racing itself and turns a fun session into a truly fantastic one.

Adding dr_manhattan^ and cubeadvance right about now. Get yourselves some headsets ASAP :(