New Hulk Game (2005 Thread)

Rowan Morrison

I was just wondering if anyone's tried a demo (in inverted commas or otherwise) of the new Hulk game that's out on Friday (I think)? If it's anything like Spiderman 2 I'm in like Flint, but that has to be balanced against the fact that it's a superhero franchise game. I've got a credit note, so I'll probably grab it and give it a chance, unless enough people step forward to pooh-pooh it. On the other hand, maybe some of you would like to take this opportunity to hype it and build up my hopes.

I want free-roaming sandbox chaos, even if I have to get past a few bottlenecks (a la Spidey 2) to get there. Hundreds of stats and little challenges, and the ability to just mess around and have a good time. What are the chances?

I'd rather have forum opinion than assorted game site blather, but there doesn't seem to have been much discussion of it around here...

I played it at E3 this year and it was definitely one of the most enjoyable games I played there. Very accessible and fantastic fun within about 10 seconds of picking up the pad. My only concern is whether the missions are any good.

Though if you are just looking for all out sandbox chaos, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Moosegrinder's played the demo. It looks alright (basically Spider-Man 2 with destructible environments) but it's not the kind of thing I'm remotely interested in. Technically seems sound, if a little choppy in places when it gets mildly busy.

Play have changed their release date to September now, they did have it as August at one point. Ah well. It does sound like a goer, though... I don't know how leaping will compare with swinging, but smashy smashy can't fail. Cheers all.

Spiderman as an unlockable character, that would sweeten the deal to the point of diabetes.

I played it at E3 this year and it was definitely one of the most enjoyable games I played there. Very accessible and fantastic fun within about 10 seconds of picking up the pad. My only concern is whether the missions are any good.

Though if you are just looking for all out sandbox chaos, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I watched him play it at E3 (after the annoying tit in front of us *finally* pissed-off), and even only being a spectator was good fun.

Smashing a bus up, snapping it in two, and using them as comedy boxing-gloves is genius.

I watched him play it at E3 (after the annoying tit in front of us *finally* pissed-off), and even only being a spectator was good fun.

Smashing a bus up, snapping it in two, and using them as comedy boxing-gloves is genius.

Yeah! The twat! Still, it was right good fun. :)

It's no worse than Spiderman 2, and I mean that in a good way.

So what does Hulk have to match Spidey's awesome web swinging pendulum physics? :)

Also, could this be the way forward for all superhero games? As free-roaming, "living, breathing" cities become easier to create, this could be the starndard template henceforth. :lol:

So what does Hulk have to match Spidey's awesome web swinging pendulum physics? :)

I'm hoping it's stuff like being able to pick up a bus and throw it into traffic or a bulding with ensuing physical mayhem. I might buy Spiderman 2 again to get me in the mood, it seems to be tuppence nowadays.

But yes, part of Spiderman 2's joy was just exploring the city in graceful, continuous web arcs... very relaxing, almost hypnotic. And far better than the 'proper' gameplay, I thought. I don't know if jumping and smashing will have quite the same charm, but I'll give it a go.

• 1 month later...

Yeah - played it for a bit myself.

Nothing too special - its a neat idea - but the current gen physics don't really allow for anything too spectacular - you hit something, it falls down. You throw something, it goes bang - it disappears.

Ideally they'd make something with B3's level of physics, which would be far more impressive if the buildings acted the same way - but alas, not this gen.

Hitting things with poles is good though.

Its one of those things - it should be impressive, but is too much for the current gen to handle. The graphics are cartoony, so don't really work as well as something more realistic looking.

I did tire of it quickly, but then i've got a bit of catching up to do and other stuff took my time.

A 5 or 6 is about right i guess - its meh.

Does anybody else find that the camera really struggles to keep up with the action at times?

I'm only a couple of missions in, and destroying stuff is always fun, but it's easy to see how it would get dull after a while. That said, if you enjoyed going on mindless rampages in the GTA games, you'll probably love it.

Picked this up for the GC tonight, the Game in the Metrocentre always seems to have new GC stuff, even though it's still a very small section. I've been laughing my ass off at it, can't remember the last game that's made me do that really. Kinda sadistic but it's so much fun punting people around with a ripped up tree or chucking them off screen and hearing a satisfying 'dunk' as they hit a lamp post. I've not done many of the story missions yet, been happy enough bouncing around the place and doing stupid stuff like trying to hit soldiers falling out of a helicopter as far as possible. Definately worth a rental at least - I'll probably be keeping it at least for when I've had a frustrating day and need to take it out on something.