Ps2 Online - Does No-one Use It?

BeeJay

So I'm still relatively new to the whole online gaming thing and after enjoying the PC and XBOX online I thought I'd give the PS2 a whirl.

What I'm understanding is that PS2 online is bigger than XBOX Live! in Europe. I'm also aware that a lot more games are now online on the PS2 than they were.

I've also read and heard that it's free.

So why don't I see Killzone threads. Why haven't I heard it even mentioned in here in the 2 months I've been lurking around these parts.

Where are all these PS2 online gamers as if they're not on forums, where teh h@rdcore live, where are they?

Well... from people I know

6 people own an xbox. 5 people have LIVE

3 people have a PS2. 0 people have PS2online

Well you kind of know me so make that:

7 people own an xbox. 6 people have LIVE

4 people have a PS2. 1 people have PS2online

I've got to give it a go just so I can slag it off.

I was referring to people I know in real life. Otherwise I could just include nearly everyone in the Halo2 folder which doesn't make things fair...

Yeah, yeah I know. The only 'real' people with PS2's I know have them in the cupboard 95% of the time or are under 10 but that's a different thread all together.

UPDATE: I'm now registered and the website boldly says:

3. Now, a Network Access Disc and unique account validation PIN will be sent to the address you enter in step one. If one of these items arrives before the other, don't worry. Simply wait until you have both before you complete the validation process.In the meantime, you can network game to your heart's content. And, remember, the vast majority of PlayStation 2 network gaming is completely free of charge!

Apart from Killzone requires me to have a configuration file which I need the network access disc to create.

So, no, I can't 'network game to my heart's content'.

I signed up for this and attempted to get online with the Hardware game that comes with the network access disc. After two evenings of trying to work out what the hell a DNAS error was I gave up and never tried gonig online with the PS2 again.

The online PS2 in our household works fine, and is our most played online console beating the Xbox by miles.

Of course there is a singular reason for this which has little to do with Sony and everything to do with SquareEnix.

Now lets be honest. If it was not for FFXI the network port on your PS2 would probably have spiders living in it. :unsure:

Now lets be honest. If it was not for FFXI the network port on your PS2 would probably have spiders living in it. :unsure:

I managed to get online with my PS2 which was a fairly labourious process in itself, but never received the pin number. So I gave up and went back to live.

I was in the beta trials for PS2 on line, and if you think it's tricky getting online now, you have no idea. Took me a whole week just to get Twisted metal black on line.

Sure, i'm not the most technically competent fella out there, but i managed to get Xbox live running in under an hour (go me). PS2 online is just too tricky. The guys running it didn't seem too sure about it most of the time.

I eventually gave up after trying to get Fifa online. Seems you need some sort of degree in networking to figure it out.