The House Of Obsessive Compulsives

choddo

Amazing. This bloke is chaining himself to a bed so that he knows he won't have sleep-walked and confessed to anything.

I love this "let's laugh at the mentalists in the name of scientic discovery" TV stylee

I'm finding this quite a revelation.

Normally if someone says 'obsessive compulsive disorder', I just think 'oh, those people who wash all the time' - but this gives some actual human context for that. It's quite sad, actually.

It's not clear to me how they are getting them to make such massive leaps with their condition. This woman hasn't touched her kids for three years - stick her in a house with a TV crew and shes rubbing glitter on her face.

I don't get it.

It's not clear to me how they are getting them to make such massive leaps with their condition. This woman hasn't touched her kids for three years - stick her in a house with a TV crew and shes rubbing glitter on her face.

I don't get it.

I was just thinking that too...

Although it seems she's had some sort of panic attack as a result.

I don't have to wash my hands 40 times or anything like that.  I'ts stuff like worrying whether you have locked the door etc and going to check a couple of times.

Did you have a past expierence where you forgot to lock the door and all kinds of bad stuff resulted or is the fear totally displaced, just a seemingly random appearence?

I don't have to wash my hands 40 times or anything like that.  I'ts stuff like worrying whether you have locked the door etc and going to check a couple of times.

I usually have to check I've locked the door about five times before I can leave it, and even the I'm not convinced I've done it. There's even been a couple of occasions where I've rode up the road and had to go back just to make sure the doors actually are locked. :) I'm the same with taps, fridges and freezers too. I'm pretty normal other than that though. :(

I usually have to check I've locked the door about five times before I can leave it, and even the I'm not convinced I've done it. There's even been a couple of occasions where I've rode up the road and had to go back just to make sure the doors actually are locked.  :) I'm the same with taps, fridges and freezers too. I'm pretty normal other than that though. :(

So you think you might just possibly have OCD? Have you ever tried just walking away?

I usually have to check I've locked the door about five times before I can leave it, and even the I'm not convinced I've done it. There's even been a couple of occasions where I've rode up the road and had to go back just to make sure the doors actually are locked.  :) I'm the same with taps, fridges and freezers too. I'm pretty normal other than that though. :(

mein gott.....is your name clarissa ? and am I fucking you?

I usually have to check I've locked the door about five times before I can leave it, and even the I'm not convinced I've done it. There's even been a couple of occasions where I've rode up the road and had to go back just to make sure the doors actually are locked.  :unsure: I'm the same with taps, fridges and freezers too. I'm pretty normal other than that though. :D

o/\o

Sounds like me, it's a minor form of OCD, don't let it escalate. The show last night was a good "what could happen" thing, this morning I was a lot more of the mindset "not gonna end up like them crazies on tv", constant struggle though. I think the combination of symptoms in the house work quite well, as whilst the other two of the three can empathise, they're able to say "yeah, but it's actually unfounded you do realise that don't you?".

I've been known to walk the length of my street back to the front door to check I locked it correctly. I'll even open the door, go inside for a few minutes, then come out fiddling with my bag to make it look like I forgotten something, and wasn't just checking I'd locked it... :unsure:

I was watching this with the girlfriend last night and was quite shocked at how much she has in common with them (not joking, here).

She can not just leave the house. She has to check the door at least five times and then sometimes goes back in to check the oven, etc. She's told me that when she leaves the house on her own she can have driven almost to work and have to turn round to check something. I have to convince her the dog will be alright if we have to leave her for a while, bit like that woman's rabbit story.

When I'm with her I now have to check everyting and then I can say 'yep, that's locked, that's off, etc', and she at least trusts me. Am a bit concerened that it will escalate.

I really empathised with the other halfs in it though. Even if my missus has only got a mild form of it, it can be a real strain. Can't imagine what it must be like to be married to the glitter woman (her hubby did seem rather keen to have a night off when he dropped her at the house :) ) .

Actually, I didn't think it was in poor taste at all. I thought it was sensitively and professsionally handled, and this method of clinical psychology is genuinely at the forefront of research in to managing OCDs.

I was talking about the way I phrased my initial post. I agree on the TV programme