Winning Eleven 9 Impressions

ryanski

Pro-G has some impressions and videos of Winning Eleven 9. We've got six vidoes, with more to come tomorrow. The videos are all free, but please don't hotlink them as we have disabled it as our sponsor needs to have his link on the download page.

Winning Eleven 9 impressions and videos

From looking at those videos, the thing that stands out most so far, is the way you can actually make a run without some 34 year old defender making up the 10 yard advantage you'd given yourself. Which can only be a good thing. Bloody catchup... <_<

the biggest thing that stood out in those videos was that everyone is always running at PERFECT 45 DEGREE ANGLES, and thus it looks nothing like real football. and whoever was playing has no idea how to super cancel, either that or the runner AI vs super cancel system has moved back to the PSone games.

every other aspect looked like PES4...

here I go again.

Please excuse my complete ignorance but I am not sure what a Super Cancel is, and what it should be used for? I like to think I am a reasonable PE4 player and have come across it in the training mode but I skipped over it, and recently I have got the impression that it is quite important?

If an expert could enlighten me I would be most grateful ;)

By holding R1 and R2 down you gain full controll over your player, who usually stands still while waiting for the ball etc. It isn't easy to get the hang of and you'll probably run past the ball for a while, looking like a complete idiot. I expect most people never use it. I only really give it a go when messing around, but from what some people say, it is worth getting the hang of.

Last month, we managed a 9-2 match in WE8LE.  I totally broke that game.

From a PES4 perspective I feel as if it has no more to give. I have a 'method' of scoring and it works very well and I can also say that Ryanski has a way of scoring consistantly to. Both methods are not foolproof but we stick to them. This simply suggests PES4 has reached its natural climax from a multiplayer point of view.

Please excuse my complete ignorance but I am not sure what a Super Cancel is, and what it should be used for? I like to think I am a reasonable PE4 player and have come across it in the training mode but I skipped over it, and recently I have got the impression that it is quite important?

If an expert could enlighten me I would be most grateful  :P

A few players will have you believe that without mastering Super-Cancel you are nothing in this game. Which is total shit. I've never used it, and seem to get by fine.

Wait to you play it. It feels as much like PES4 as Super Mario Kart feels to Double Dash. Not in the slightest.

So PES4 is SMK and WE9 is Double Dash?

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo.............

That was a terrible analogy, but yeah, it looks almost identical to the previous game, but it's probably the biggest change in "feel" that I can remember.

Super Cancel will win you the occasional ball you might not get otherwise, but I don't think it's essential to the game. Certainly not as important as, say, learning how to defend well.

A few players will have you believe that without mastering Super-Cancel you are nothing in this game. Which is total shit. I've never used it, and seem to get by fine.

Absolutely. Just as a friend of mine scoffed at the fact that I hardly, if ever, used R2 on PES4.

4-1 to me. B)

That was a terrible analogy, but yeah, it looks almost identical to the previous game, but it's probably the biggest change in "feel" that I can remember.

Super Cancel will win you the occasional ball you might not get otherwise, but I don't think it's essential to the game.  Certainly not as important as, say, learning how to defend well.

the super cancel IS how to defend well.

as I've said before, in my experience players can be really skilful and clinical, and can molest the CPU on 6 stars, but if they play against anyone who super cancels (even me, and I can't beat a 4-star CPU) then they get destroyed.

it doesn't help you THAT much against the CPU, but at least up until PES4, it almost ruins the multiplayer game because it's too easy to intercept almost every single pass while your opponent is shouting "wtf?".

pop quiz:

Q. a less-than-perfect pass has been played (this covers 90% of passes in PES4) - which player gets to it first?

A.

the player who super cancels best. even if it was blatantly the other guy's ball to start with.

the super cancel IS how to defend well.

The key to good defending, IMO, is all about jockeying and timing tackles, which is doable without the super cancel, but obviously it helps if you use it.

I just use super cancel automatically without even thinking about it though. It's definitely good to incorporate it into play though.

:P

That pretty much sums up Super Mario Kart and Double Dash! Terrible analogy my arse!

I only really use super cancel to stop my players chasing balls they'll never get, or running up to a ball and mis-controlling it straight out for a corner, which they like doing. Using super cancel to get my players nearer the ball just sees me walking past it. The bastards never think to take it with them.

From reading all the impressions ofthe game so far, would I be anywhere near correct in saying that WE9 is closer to PES3 than PES3. Its just that PES3 is alot slower than PES4, with the emphasis on picking the right pass, whilst I found PES4 to be a more arcade ping the ball around effort.

I hope that PES5 does return to the slower pace of PES3, as I found PES3 far superior to the IMO lacklustre PES4.

Super cancel is quite important if you're playing other skilled players.

Everyone can beat 6* 9-0, but that doesn't make you good.

Super cancel is best for defending, my favourite way is to use it to barge people out the way.

E.g if there's a high ball towards the opposition striker, I get my defender to super cancel into the striker so when he jumps for the ball, he misses and then I get the header.

Or when there's a high ball coming in front of me, you use super cancel so your player doesn't try to control the ball from such a height by moving him out of the way to let the ball bounce, then control it which is much easier, you can even take shots like this and it can sometimes confuse defenders.

you can even take shots like this and it can sometimes confuse defenders.

I noticed some serious defender confusion going on in WE9 when using the Super Cancel. It was a 2-player game, but the defender wondered off marking the man rather the getting the ball on a couple of occasions. A bug? I'm not sure yet.

Check my sig.

An advanced moves list! Why couldnt this be in the game?! Thank you very much for that Sir, I will begin my Super Cancel coaching tonight!

The only problem is I am on the Xbox version, which means using that horrid little Black button...

Also thank you Stephen for putting SC in a real match context, although I am unsure about "Everyone can beat 6* 9-0" :lol:

Surely eveyone knows that one of the many uses for super cancel is to override the CPU teammate AI, which will NEVER get to any pass or loose ball before an intelligent human-controlled super-cancelled player.

corrected.

super-cancel is the reason our matches were fairly close online, Saint - I'm completely shit at PES but I was getting to most of the loose balls first.

corrected.

super-cancel is the reason our matches were fairly close online, Saint - I'm completely shit at PES but I was getting to most of the loose balls first.

i hate to sound like a cunt, but i've had to put you on my ignore list as your constant moaning about PES on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TOPIC going on and on about THE SAME FUCKING THING in pretty much EVERY FUCKING POST makes me cry. it is a bit like watching football with my dad. no matter what game we're watching, he never fails to mention that he thinks a) there are too many foreign players in the game B) they should do an experimental game with no offside, just to see what it's like and c) a defender shielding the ball so it runs out is obstruction and should be an indirect free kick.

i now can't go to games with my dad as it does my head in so much. can you please stop trying to piss on everyone's chips? this reminds me of layte on the ipod threads, or that cacky mental case whenever edge is mentioned.

please! xx

Played a few games tonight. 5 star. bloody hell im struggling. Lost to WBA on penalties as Arsenal. Then as Brazil beat Russia one nil. Adriano chip shot. Lovely. The great thing about a new version of WE is when you score its such a treat. Im carving out about 4 opportunities a match at the moment. But I like it, so much more patience needed. Going to hit the training tommorow. Try and figure out that R2 curved shot. Then win a few cups. Then master league all the way....love it.