That Musical Rpg

pancho

Rhapsody. Its an RPG and a musical. At the same time. I remember seeing it in my local London importer ages ago and for some reason passed on it at the time. Never saw another copy and the ones that used to come up on ebay america were almost always disk only jobs.

Anyway- it's one of those games I always wanted to pick up; even more so now Nippon Ichi have risen to fame post-Disgaea out of interest. So i look on ebay and see this has happened. Doh.

It certainly the best of the first three and probably would have been a better place to start than the over-egged Phantom brave. I only just got Makai yesterday so not sure about that yet. It's reportedly the true sequel to Disgaea.

Anyways- has anyone played Rhapsody?

I hate these damn "I was going to buy this fantastic sounding RPG by one of the best developers of recent years but found it cost more than your willing to pay".

If nobody posted these, I'd never know these games existed and wouldn't spend the next 2 years praying for it to become available at a reasonable price.

It's going on my ebay favorite searches right now. Any more info on it?

Any more info on it?

I haven't played it but the general consensus was that it's too short (between 10 and 15 hours long in length) and too easy. It's a game I've been moderately interested in for years but ever since Disgaea was released it's price has sky rocketed. From what I can gather there are much better PS1 RPG's for you to spend your money on.

I LOVE this game. :o

I had an uhm, borrowed, copy for a while but lost it. I'm desperate for a copy to complete my PS1 rpg collection but it's so expensive. :o

I think i'll just have to go for it. I really want it.

I feel mean beating up the cats though. :huh:

EDIT: Just seen the price, jesus! I'm never going to get it.

None that I don't have though, apart from xenogears I s'pose.

You've got everything decent and yet you hadn't heard of this? Hmm. Anyway if you haven't played them be sure to get Alundra, Breath of Fire III, Star Ocean 2, Suikoden I & II, Dragon Warrior VII and Vandal Hearts. Along with Final Fantasy IX they're IMO the best RPG's the PSOne has to offer.

You've got everything decent and yet you hadn't heard of this? Hmm. Anyway if you haven't played them be sure to get Alundra, Breath of Fire III, Star Ocean 2, Suikoden I & II, Dragon Warrior VII and Vandal Hearts. Along with Final Fantasy IX they're IMO the best RPG's the PSOne has to offer.

This is going to sound hellish childish but:

PS1 RPGs that I own:

alundra 2

azure dreams

Blaze and blade

Blood Omen: Legacy of kain

final fantasy 6

final fantasy 7

final fantasy 8

final fantasy 9

Final Fantasy Anthology

final fantasy origins

Final Fantasy tactics

Front Mission 3

grandia

guardian crusader

legend of kartia

master of monsters

Suikoden 2

the adventures of alundra

Vagrant story

vandal hearts

That I have had and sold:

Star ocean

Vandal Hearts 2

Breath of fire III and IV

Ok some of those in the first list are a little bit questionable. Alundra for example.

So the only ones I'm after really area:

Suikoden

Tactics ogre (or whatever the PS1 version is called)

Xenogears

and now this Rhapsody game.

But what about the likes of Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Warrior VII, Tales of Destiny 1 & 2, Saiyuki Journey West, Chrono Cross, Thousand Arms, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad Collection, Lunar 1 & 2 and Ogre Battle? I must admit I'm not a huge fan of many of them but they're all highly regarded and all have a huge array of fans.

Valkyrie profile is lovely and probably the best of the bunch here. Enix at their best and with a super-cool soundtrack.

Ogre battle is like a prehistoric Final Fanasty tactics.

Thousand arms is a dating rpg also from Atlus at a similar time that they released Rhapsody. Quirky and an RPG curio. Expensive though.

Chrono cross is thoroughly disappointing set next to Trigger but maybe worth a look if you like the sqaure stuff from that era.

Arc the lad I'd leave alone but that's just my view....

Lunar 1 + 2 is worth playing but will set you back a lot. A Working designs release (along with Arc the lad) so expect a very loose (americanized) translation from the original japanese. You might like the flair, you might not.

The Tales games are sequels to the excellent Phantasia on SNES. track down a fan translated rom of that to see if its your cup of tea before splashing out- although these two are a lot cheaper than some of the other games listed.

And Dragon Warrior 7 is probably not worth playing until you've checked out the fan translated roms of 5 and 6 on SNES to see if it's a flavour of RPGing you like the taste of.

I haven't played it but the general consensus was that it's too short (between 10 and 15 hours long in length) and too easy. It's a game I've been moderately interested in for years but ever since Disgaea was released it's price has sky rocketed. From what I can gather there are much better PS1 RPG's for you to spend your money on.

It's all true. I bought my copy of Rhapsody when it was originally released, and it becomes clear very quickly that the target audience for this game is young, female, and hasn't played an RPG before.

8/10 for those who like singing cats, 4/10 otherwise.

I don't think I've seen Persona mentioned in this thread yet. I've been led to believe that Persona 2 is one of the better RPG's available on PS1.

Aye, it's great. Novel setting, lovely music, unfortunately it's also bastard hard. Well worth tracking down, though.