Arrested Development Topic In Cold Brown Taste!

McNeillR

One thing confuses me. Why on earth would someone like Lindsay marry Tobias in the first place.

My wife just pointed out this is explained in episode 1 - she married him as an act of rebellion to get back at her parents (or maybe just her dad... we've suffered from AD overload in the last week)

but the forethought that went into everything in Arrested Development is incredible - pretty much everything down to the smallest detail is there for a reason. Absolutely genius.

When you watch it again, you'll realise that literally everything (rather than pretty much everything) down to the smallest detail is there for a reason. I have watched the show through countless and every rewatch I always notice a joke that I haven't noticed before, or some foreshadowing of a major event that's said in a completely throw away line. When I first watched the Charlize Theron storyline, I thought it was a bit off kilter for the show as well, but if you look hard enough for Mr F in seasons 1 and 2, you will find Mr F. It's the same with almost everything that happens in the show. Buster's hand is really heavily foreshadowed, and one of my favourite bits in the show is when Michael goes to George Michael's school to have a look at his school project on Iraq, and remarks on the similarity between the houses in Iraq and their show house. And that's in the middle of Season 1.

It's such a great show that not only do I envy you for being able to watch it fresh for the first time, I envy you being able to rewatch it for the first time.

I still can't quite believe we're getting a whole new series of it.

Thankgod Netflix realised that there's always money in the banana stand.

Just to clarify then - this is going to be a full fat new series with everyone in it, same writers etc? Not the 10-minute "webisode" series that had been previously mooted? And what about the film, is that canned now or is this as well as?

Come on! If this is a proper new series then I just am going to have to re-sign up for fuggin Netflix.

From what I remember it's a 13 episode series, proper, real episodes with the cast, writers, sets, which will launch with all 13 episodes available on the same day, GO NETFLIX! Netflix is taking a real punt in to producing it's own shows, I've not watched it, but the trailer for House of Cards, starring Kevin Spacey looks like a HBO style effort, which has just launched on Netflix.

As for the movie, I'm not sure of the status of that. I can't remember if it was supposed to happen before or after the series, or whether it's gone now because Netflix are producing the show. Either way, we're getting 13 episodes of awesome in the not too distant future.

As for the movie, I'm not sure of the status of that. I can't remember if it was supposed to happen before or after the series,

I thought it was supposed to come after the new series. With the new series acting as a kind of catch-up; explaining what the characters have been up to since the last series. So the movie doesn't have to deal with that problem.

"Hurwitz explains more of the form of these episodes (still in post-production now, so the final form hasn’t even been fully decided yet) in this USA Today article, and he says that the only scene where they assembled the full cast is supposed to be a teaser for this as-yet-nonexistent movie. In fact, he says the whole collection of episodes is a teaser for the movie he wants to write and direct:

“The bigger story is the family has fallen apart at the start of our show,” Hurwitz says. “They all went their own way, without Michael holding them together, so they’re left to their own devices, and they’re not the most successful devices.” The season is designed as a “first act to what we eventually want to do, which is a big movie,” though there’s no guarantee it will ever get made."

Wow, I knew the series was about re-introducing the characters, but I figured they'd all feature, but just with a focus character for each episode, it's sounding less like the show now. I suppose it had to be that way because it's too hard to get them all in the same place at the same time due to other commitments. A shame though, I want to see all the characters crossing each other in scenes, because the best of AD is when other characters chip in from the background.

Looks like we don't have to worry about it being dumbed down:

Cross - who plays Tobias Fünke - has now revealed to Rolling Stone that Hurwitz recently decided to increase the episode count.

"I think it's going to be 13 episodes, not 10. There's too much story. Some characters will have two-parters," the actor said. "Everybody sort of participates, sometimes in a bigger way and sometimes in a tiny little thread that goes through everybody else's stories."

Cross also declined to reveal any specifics about the new episodes, but vowed that Arrested Development fans will be pleased.

"I'm not gonna divulge anything, but I know what the stories are and what Mitch [Hurwitz] is doing, and it's so layered. It's really audacious and amazing," he teased.

The star added: "I think a lot of people will miss the work that is involved, the story, the Venn diagrams that are being created, the domino effect that characters have with each other in their various episodes.

"I know what he's doing, and this has never been done on a TV show like this. This makes Lost look like a Spalding Grey monologue. You'll have to watch each episode more than once."

http://www.digitalsp...-says-star.html

Ah, my bad, it's that some characters will feature more than others.

I told my sister's boyfriend about this show yesterday afternoon. He'd never heard of it. I spoke to him again today and he's watched the entire first series. :D

Dedication like that should be applauded.

Let's give him a hand.

Reading those made me start watching it again. When I checked the wikipedia page it shows the rumours of which characters will be returning in addition to the Bluths. There's also a list of actors playing new characters I'd not seen before.

John Slattery, Terry Crews, Erin Moran and Isla Fisher

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...