IGNORED

Arrested Development Topic In Cold Brown Taste!

McNeillR

I had been ignoring the buildup to this entirely and just reactivated my Netflix sub yesterday to rewatch the last few episodes, so try to imagine my delight on discovering about 20 minutes ago that it's a whole new 15-episode run coming out tomorrow and not just one like I had somehow assumed as though this were lumbering old broadcast TV or something. You can't, you simply can't imagine.

Yeah Martin Short's style in that totally clashes with the general tone.. The bit where he fucks up his legs springs to mind as really sticking out. Probably the main misstep the show had and it's not a particularly major one since it's done in twenty minutes and does bring a few lols ("It's just something the body does when you shake it!")

Just signed up to Netflix for this. Now to connect my 360 again, get Netflix on that and hope my shitty internet connection can handle the Arrested Development marathon I have planned for tomorrow.

Come on!

Well watched the first one.

It's odd (so far). Everything feels just a little "off", and the constant reminders/callbacks/cutbacks to previous events - while giving it a sense of continuity, also remind you of when it was better.

The other thing is it's a bit odd (having watching all of the previous episodes recently) to spend so long with the same characters in the same scene/setting. AD was generally juggling between all the storylines/characters quickly as they interwove. There's some building blocks here, and there's certainly scenes I expect we'll see from a (if not more than one) different perspective later when the other characters get episodes.

I don't think it helped that episode one was all about Michael - who was always the "straight" man to the others antics. Which makes it hard for his episode. They've "crazied" him up a bit to through in some of the humour, but that just adds to the feeling that things are "off".

I know that the "character" focused episodes were an idea that they seemed to float as updates for a movie to come, but for a "full" series it seems an odd choice. The strongest parts of the episode are when the cast are together.

It's not bad though, it's just a bit luke warm.

Edit. Goly Crap. How obvious was the greenscreen character meshing thing at the start of Episode 2 :D

i thought ep1 was very lukewarm, a bit off and its hard getting used to them all looking so much older, still lukewarm is better than none at all I guess.

ep2 was much better though, all about George Snr and he gets some great lines and the plot seems to be taking shape too.

it does look a little cheap in places too with some horrible edits and very obvious product placements

Showstealer Pro Trial Version

Was about to ask what this was about. It only seems to appear on the old flashback content, so most likely a joke.

I know that the "character" focused episodes were an idea that they seemed to float as updates for a movie to come, but for a "full" series it seems an odd choice. The strongest parts of the episode are when the cast are together.

It was also to keep costs down, as well as make it easier to get the cast back with fewer commitment conflicts.

Yeah Episode 2 is stronger - mainly because it has some good humour in.

Episode 3 though...and the return of Tobias :D

Although Lindsay...looks...well... :huh:

Some of the early scenes in episode 3...she looks like a crack addict homeless hooker.

Seems good but disjointed so far. YOu can tell they struggled to get people together as they do a lot of 'back of head' shots and one person on screen talking to someone off screen, not to mention some dodgy CG (Lindsey and Tobias in the car was blatantly fake).

See I thought that wasn't fake (other than the fact the car/driving road was obviously) - just oddly shot.

I also wasn't too sure if Maeby was faked in the realtor's office - but I think she was.

I'm possibly spending too much time "looking for CGI" :P

Up to episode 5 and it's still good. I really wish they'd kept to the old format of 3-4 stories in one episode, rather than stretching each story to it's own episode. It's good to see everything start to connect though. It seems designed for a binge watch (and in order though) - I can't see this structure working if they tried 1 episode a week as "normal"

Should be OK, netflix works over patchy 3G :)

Aye, connection has been holding out so far.

Got Live Gold?

Luckily I still have a couple months of Gold left, I assume without it I wouldn't be able to watch Netflix then? Microsoft :hmm:

Watched the first 3 episodes so far. It's odd. I wasn't sure if I was enjoying it but I am and there have been some great lines/moments that have made me laugh.

But as others have said it feels a bit disjointed and not up to the high standards of the previous seasons. To be expected I guess. Still it's great to have it back.

Lindsay looks weird/ill though :(

Too much voice over from the Narrator. Was he always used this much in episodes?

Needs more G.O.B.

Edit:

Been reading views from people on other forums who all seem to have hated the first episode. I really liked it. People saying Michael was acting out of character and stuff, but he's always been a bit like that in regards to George-Michael.