IGNORED

Arrested Development Topic In Cold Brown Taste!

McNeillR

overall I absolutely loved this and its probably my favourite series, but the ending was very disappointing.

it spent ages carefully crafting storylines and plots that it didn't even attempt to bring together, for reasons I'm not sure of.

probably going to watch straight thru again now but the ending was a bummer.

Gob: "I couldn’t afford them so I hired, technically, Mongols I guess…they’re the people that built the wall of China"

George Snr: "How many did you hire?"

Gob: "A horde…that’s the minimum, they don’t come in anything less than a horde"

Over the past week I've watch the first three seasons of this for the first time (bar the occasional episode I saw on BBC2) and it's fantastic. So after finishing season 3 this evening I rolled right into season 4 (3 episodes in) and so far it feels kinda flat and slow just focussing on a subset of character in an episode rather than moving between different stories within an episode.

Is there a known reason they had trouble getting the cast together for this?

Over the past week I've watch the first three seasons of this for the first time (bar the occasional episode I saw on BBC2) and it's fantastic. So after finishing season 3 this evening I rolled right into season 4 (3 episodes in) and so far it feels kinda flat and slow just focussing on a subset of character in an episode rather than moving between different stories within an episode.

Money and the likes of Bateman and Cera are famous movie actors now while other's have sitcoms or pilots which ate up their time on the air at the minute

You need to keep watching. I thought the same at first, but improves immeasurably when you realise how all the plots are intersecting and the early episodes are much better on a rewatching when you realise what you missed first time around.

I missed loads of gags first time around (don't read this until you've seen them all).

http://splitsider.com/2013/05/an-encyclopedic-guide-to-the-best-callbacks-running-jokes-and-hidden-gags-in-the-new-season-of-arrested-development/

Thinking about it, where did the GOB mask actually come from?

When Tony Wonder first accidentally shows him the mask in the gay club, GOB mentions that he uses masks for his tricks (illusions) too.

And keep with it, The Bag. It's slow to start but by the end season 4 might be the greatest Arrested Development ever made.

"I've got Olive Garden to give us unlimited bread."

I'm not sure about the claim (in that piece Harsin linked) that there are more running gags and callbacks than in the original series'.

Part of the charm of the old A.D. was that some of the 'foreshadowing' stuff felt like it wasn't planned ahead. I'm sure I remember Hurwitz saying that the some of the best ideas weren't meticulously planned out (Buster losing a hand, Mr. F).

S4 is all a bit too 'neat' in comparison, although still amazing of course.

And done.

Definately peaks during the middle - the ending (when it just sort of stops - so many plot threads are still unresolved) feels overaught and given M/GM's relationship has been the heart of the show, missplaced.

Did I miss something or did we never find out what happened to L2? Or was it explained in some subtle way I missed?