IGNORED

Arrested Development Topic In Cold Brown Taste!

McNeillR

I assume if they stick with Netflix they can do whatever format they like?

2 or 3 feature length episodes?

I can't see a 90 minute film at the cinema working at all (not saying they couldn't make it funny/good) - no way they could make it even the smallest way stand-alone.

My wife and I were so looking forward to this series but our baby turned up the week before it started. We've watched 10 episodes but a combination of having to constantly see to baby, exhaustion, sleep deprivation and baby brain had meant we've not really followed it at all. A re-watch in a couple of months is in order, methinks!

I suspect that people just felt that,

for a series famous for bringing all loose ends back together, that didn't happen.

Felt like it was leaving the door open - which is never satisfying in itself. Not that I mind - the series was incredible, and anything that pushes for more is a great idea.

I don't want to be Mr Negative here, because I'm enjoying the series, currently up to episode 10.

But is it just me that's finding it really off-putting how many things are going on? It's crazy! There's about 20 different plot threads, it's bewildering!

I just find I'm losing track of what's going on and it's spoiling it for me.

From the sounds of it, this series represents about a third of the ideas Mitchell Hurwitz had for a new Arrested Development. i.e. I suppose he'd like to do two more series. There's a great interview with him on the latest edition of KCRW's The Business podcast (which is almost always a great podcast).

Finally finished watching this last night.

While I didn't find myself laughing as much as I recall doing so during the previous seasons I still loved it overall. Some fantastic moments throughout and I can't wait to re-watch it.

Also Isla Fisher is just perfect. :wub:

I'm hoping we get another series (one without the constraints this one had) instead of a movie.

Few things I'm not sure was ever explained though;

When Tobias woke up with the two hobos and one of them said he was investigating Imagine Studios or something like that, did that ever develop into something?

Ed Helms character died, but were we ever told what happened to him? I was expecting this to be referenced to or shown at some point.

What was the deal with the Annyong cameo? Was hoping we'd have him involved more in someway.

As for wishes I was hoping to see more of GOB's bee business. Also was hoping for appearances from J. Walter Weatherman, Wayne Jarvis, Maggie (didn't she get knocked up by Michael?) and of course Franklin.

Favourite episodes were; The two GOB episodes, the two Tobias episodes and Maeby's episode.

Edit - Oh and I only just found out Bryce Dallas Howard is Ron Howard's daughter. :doh:

Maggie getting knocked up by Michael, did you miss half of the episode or something?

In the 'next time on Arrested Development' part of that episode Maggie, having slept with Michael, looks at a pregnancy test and says something that leads the viewer to believe she's pregnant. I assume he was talking about that.

The 'next time on.....' bits never counted as 'canon' though, I don't think.

Finished it tonight and absolutely loved it. Maebe and Gob episodes were the highlights for me and I'm sad it's all over. I hope some talented person does a Primer style diagram of how all the stories fit together.

In the 'next time on Arrested Development' part of that episode Maggie, having slept with Michael, looks at a pregnancy test and says something that leads the viewer to believe she's pregnant. I assume he was talking about that.

Aye, was talking about that. Can never remember if the "Next time" bits are canon or not though.

Pretty sure J Walter Weatherman is dead, I imagine he'd be a shoe in otherwise, great character.

Just checked and yeah, the actor who played him died in 2007. :(

I wish the whole series was just GOB.

Did anyone find Michael much less likeable this time around? I thought he came across as much more of a dick.

Overall enjoyed it though.

I think if you go back and watch the original seasons you see pretty blantant hints of a darker, dickish Michael. The Anne plot, the way he never listens to George Michael, always hears what he wants to, etc. So I can see after 7 years of that trajectory he'd kinda fall more and fall. It's pretty funny in the new season seeing how low he's hit, though at the same time it's kinda sad; feels like that character has essentially left the show and been replaced with a different one at times.

I think Michael's dickishness was magnified in this season as the episodes where more insular but he was always a dick in the previous seasons too, just everyone around him was a bigger dick so he came off looking better, he's just one of the few of them with any self awareness.

Still can't get over how fucking ripped GOB was on the cross either.

New summer project, get ripped. (Not turn gay)

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the fourth episode. I was a bit dissapointed at first as the first two seemed pretty flat and almost slavish in their references to older episodes, but from the third on I started getting back the occasional big laughs that the old AD always provoked. It is pretty strange seeing the characters again, Portia De Rossi's facelift was a bit of a shock and Alia Shawkat still playing a Maeby who's apathetic but now obviously an adult doesn't quite work, but I'm really happy to be watching it again. I just hope the writers confidence to go their own way continues to grow as I get further in.