IGNORED

Arrested Development Topic In Cold Brown Taste!

McNeillR

How responsible is Mitchell Hurwitz for the success of the writing and these elaborate and long running jokes? He's the creator and listed as the writer on the majority of episodes, but everything else of his I've really disliked. Wondering if this was just his passion project or he had some collaborators on this in particular.

53 minutes ago, pledge said:

How responsible is Mitchell Hurwitz for the success of the writing and these elaborate and long running jokes? He's the creator and listed as the writer on the majority of episodes, but everything else of his I've really disliked. Wondering if this was just his passion project or he had some collaborators on this in particular.

A lot of American comedies are team-written which means that the writing credits for each episode can be very misleading. The Simpsons is one of the best examples of this - the credited writer for each episode often didn't come up with a lot of the best bits within the episode that their name is on. If you ever listened to the DVD commentaries it became obvious how each episode was an enormous group effort. Also, while Matt Groening is rightly credited as creator and executive producer, it becomes very, very apparent via the commentaries that he really wasn't all that responsible for what it eventually became.

I don't know as much about the development of Arrested Development but look at the writing credits and there was a lot of other noteworthy talent who no doubt contributed greatly (eg Jennifer Crittenden who wrote on classic Simpsons, Seinfeld and Veep).

On 07/04/2021 at 22:34, ZOK said:

And so is the fourth series, which is as good as the first - much better than the second which is terrible for the first six episodes or so.

We've finally reached a take of such temperature that the heat death of the universe has been triggered.

21 minutes ago, schmojo said:

We've finally reached a take of such temperature that the heat death of the universe has been triggered.

Yes you’re right - I actually meant series 3, the British town ones specifically.

Although anyone who disagrees that series four is as good as series one is an idiot, naturally!