IGNORED

300: Rise of an Empire - Due March 2014: Was 300 Thread

Links

I think you can gather I haven't read much Herodotos or Plutarch (or Diodorus). I'm just repeating what I read in an article. I think it was in the Guardian, but I don't recall. I can't say I really care.

''It may possibly be true that....''

I appreciate that. I'm just, y'know, showing off.

Smitty:

No idea.

Of course, glory was crucial to the Spartans, but whether that's a famous quote or not... *shrugs*

The Spartans created no literature. Therefore, the Spartans are rubbish, and I know little about them. Also, of course, it means pretty much all the information we have about them comes from non-native writers, mostly with outsiders' views - a lot of what is said about them should be taken with a pinch of salt or twenty.

The well scene is in Herodotus. Give me 10 mins and I'll look up the book reference.

Really? Must've passed me by. Which is embarrassing, as I supposedly studied his work in-depth last year.

(Of course, what Herodotos says and what actually happens are rarely one and the same thing)

The Spartans created no literature. Therefore, the Spartans are rubbish, and I know little about them. Also, of course, it means pretty much all the information we have about them comes from non-native writers, mostly with outsiders' views - a lot of what is said about them should be taken with a pinch of salt or twenty.

Yeah, well, obviously. But seeing as those outsiders views are the only ones available, I think it's fair enough that people quote them as historical sources. It's the best information available.

Anyway I bet that line has been toned down. It was probobly ''prepare for awesome!'' in Herodatus.

It was originally something like 'eat heartily for tonight we dine in Hades'

BORING!

Yeah, well, obviously. But seeing as those outsiders views are the only ones available, I think it's fair enough that people quote them as historical sources. It's the best information available.

Mmm, I'm not trying to imply that their usage is incorrect. It's just been hammered into me over the years to trust nothing written about ancient history, particularly regarding the Spartans.

Anyway I bet that line has been toned down. It was probobly ''prepare for awesome!'' in Herodatus.

:)

It's in Polymnia, and the line in my translation (from about 1880) is "Fetch it thyself" when asked for the gift of sand and water, instead of some bearded jock screaming "THIS IS SPARTA".

And yeah, ancient sources, pretty unreliable, but the best we've got :)

I have to say, having seen the film, that any talk about any of it being true to Herodotus, Plutarch or any historical source is kind of funny.

It features an orgy where one of the participants seems to be a man with the head of a goat. And I'm pretty sure Plutarch didn't have a bit where a couple of Persian lipstick lesbians rubbed their tits on a hunchback either. If he did he might have been even more popular.

Here we go again with the history rubbish.

Hello! Artistic license!

That's what I'm saying...

It's just not even worth trying to mount a defence of the film as having a historical basis. It doesn't even want to be that itself.

Google-bomb

One Iranian blogger in Canada has an alternative to the petition.

Pendar Yousefi, who blogs from Toronto, is "Google-bombing" the film.

His "bomb" aims to divert internet traffic searching for 300 to a web site that introduces the various aspects of Iranian culture through art.

Mr Yousefi, who is upset with the way ancient Persians have been depicted in 300, has called on Iranian cartoonists and artists to send him work that will help educate people about the Persian empire.

A number of artists have obliged and some 600 Iranian blogs and websites have established permanent links to Mr Yousefi's site.

So who coined the term Google bomb ? Was it the upset Iranian or the BBC ? Words eh ? No end to the trouble they cause.

The cause of certain communities would be aided by them ceasing the hysterical overreaction towards things of no consequence to their plight. Whether it's Danish cartoons or adaptations of Frank Miller graphic novels, they're only making themselves look foolish by responding so vehemently to what is essentially entertainment media fluff.

Pfft, whatever. Poet's already torn up his ticket and walked out.

Well, they should have thought of that before they decided to put THAT poker scene in the damn thing. Four aces indeed.

You lot aren't going to like this then:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6455969.stm

This is such bullshit. This story has existed (certainly in its comic book form) for nearly 10 years now and the Iranian government has just decided to make it an issue a few days after it launched in the cinemas? If the depiction was such an issue, shouldn't they have said something earlier? Though that must be a coincidence, as surely they wouldn't just be doing this to ride on the coat tails of a successful film, eh folks?

Well, they should have thought of that before they decided to put THAT poker scene in the damn thing. Four aces indeed.

This is such bullshit. This story has existed (certainly in its comic book form) for nearly 10 years now and the Iranian government has just decided to make it an issue a few days after it launched in the cinemas? If the depiction was such an issue, shouldn't they have said something earlier? Though that must be a coincidence, as surely they wouldn't just be doing this to ride on the coat tails of a successful film, eh folks?

Well, it's having an effect. My dentist is Iranian, and during a routine scale and polish this morning, he certainly seemed to be exacting some sort of revenge on my White, muscular mouth. Perhaps he thought I was saying 'SPAAARTAAAR' as he dug into my gums...I did have my mouth open very wide after all.

Well, it's having an effect. My dentist is Iranian, and during a routine scale and polish this morning, he certainly seemed to be exacting some sort of revenge on my White, muscular mouth. Perhaps he thought I was saying 'SPAAARTAAAR' as he dug into my gums...I did have my mouth open very wide after all.

<_<

Good job ZOK. You're white supremacist mouth has just set us back another 100 years. Lets all thank ZOK and Frank Miller folks.

*slow hand clap*

Saw this today, I must say I quite enjoyed it. I can see why some Iranians might be a bit pissed off at it. It's all well and good saying it's based on a graphic novel and it's not meant to be accurate, but at the end of the day, the story is based on real events.

Still, in terms of entertainment, it's pretty damn good, IMO.

It's about 95% fiction

Yes, but the important part, the battle, is not fictional. The Spartan army look like a normal bunch of soldiers. The Persian army wouldn't look out of place in a film full of goblins, orcs and other weird creatures. All I'm saying is that I can see why they might be a bit pissed off at that.

Yes, but the important part, the battle, is not fictional. The Spartan army look like a normal bunch of soldiers. The Persian army wouldn't look out of place in a film full of goblins, orcs and other weird creatures. All I'm saying is that I can see why they might be a bit pissed off at that.

Yeah, if I was Iranian, I guess I'd be a tad annoyed at the portrayal in the film. It's entirely understandable, but still, these things need to be taken with a pinch of salt.